cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

How much 5th Wheel can I tow with my truck

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Currently I have a Forest River Hemisphere GLX that weighs in the neighborhood of 8500LB dry and about 9500LB loaded. I do not travel with water other than a couple of gallons in the black tank to slosh around. It tows fine and my truck handles it with ease but I'm not very happy with it (poorly and cheaply built). I'm beginning to look at new 5th Wheels but I have no idea what my truck can handle and we all know how a dealer will tell you anything to make a sale. I'm not in a position to change trucks for another three years so I have to stick with the truck I have. I understand that a Dually Diesel is a preferable tow vehicle but not in the cards for me right now. As for the math, everything gets so confusing to me that I need some help. Can someone please give me an idea of the dry weight and max weight of a 5th wheel I should be looking at? Also, what else should I be paying attention to on the sticker of a new 5th wheel? I know I need to look at Pin weight but what else? I'll be adding the same amount of stuff I carry in the rig I have now so please keep that in mind too. We're going to the Tampa RV Supershow on January 16th to browse. Below are the specs of my truck. Thank you for any help you can give me.

From the manual
2017 Ram Crew Cab with 6'6" box. 6.4 Hemi with 3.73 rear end GVWR 10,800 Max Payload 4010LB GCWR 19,900 Max Trailer Weight 12,640

From the Stickers on my truck
GAWR Front 5500LB GAWR Rear 7000LB Max Payload 3900LB

My weight additions
Me 225LB Wife 130LB Spray in Bed Liner 50LB Folding Tonneau Cover 60LB 31 Gallon tank = 186LB when full. B&W Patriot 16K hitch with rails weighs about 175LB total. Then figure I'm going to be adding "Stuff", about 1000LB.

If I forgot anything let me know please and Thank you!
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.
25 REPLIES 25

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
BarneyS wrote:
RobWNY wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I'll look at 5th wheels 11000-12000LB with a Pin weight of 25% or less. I should be ok then. I'm looking forward to the Tampa show. I've been to a couple big shows up North but never one that advertises having trams to get people around if needed. It must be huge!

You will really enjoy the Tampa show! We went every year for about 15 years or so. Yes, they have a couple or three "trains" that run a fixed route around the show in the streets along with all the people. Often, if you are pressed for time, you are better taking the hike rather than the tram.

The show is huge. The ticket is good for two days and you will certainly need both full days to see all of it. We never did get all the way around. There are ample places to sit for a bit to rest if needed though. All in all, a fun place to go. Hope you enjoy your visit! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney

Thanks Barney. This will be something to see. I can't wait!

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
RobWNY wrote:
Thanks for everyone's input so far. I'll look at 5th wheels 11000-12000LB with a Pin weight of 25% or less. I should be ok then. I'm looking forward to the Tampa show. I've been to a couple big shows up North but never one that advertises having trams to get people around if needed. It must be huge!

You will really enjoy the Tampa show! We went every year for about 15 years or so. Yes, they have a couple or three "trains" that run a fixed route around the show in the streets along with all the people. Often, if you are pressed for time, you are better taking the hike rather than the tram.

The show is huge. The ticket is good for two days and you will certainly need both full days to see all of it. We never did get all the way around. There are ample places to sit for a bit to rest if needed though. All in all, a fun place to go. Hope you enjoy your visit! ๐Ÿ™‚
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Your 3500 can likely carry anything you will be comfortable towing with the 6.4 gas, and 3.73 gears. You may be able to carry a 14K loaded to travel FW. I would not go much more than 12K scaled to travel wt. Having 4.10 gears would work better, and the Cummins diesel better yet.

Maybe a 14 GVWR FW would still work for you, if you didn't load to the max. My Ford 6.2 with 3.73 is rated to tow a 12,300 FW, with 4.30s 15,300 FW, which would put me over my axle/tire rating, mine being a 250.

Have a great time shopping!

Jerry

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
I would stay under 12500 Gross since it is a gas truck, and 3.73 gearing. The one you are pulling now is probably a comfortable tow, and I would not want to go max, and be unhappy with the towing.

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look for something with a 10,000-11000 lb empty weight. Then when you load the 1,000 lbs that your now carrying you will have a pin of 3,000 lbs or less. 3,000 being 25% of 12,000 max total, if your lighter or the the pin is less than 25% that's good.
Now depending on where go, and how often. You may not like how the gasser tows, but it will do it.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
Coach-man wrote:
OK, a 5th wheel is not a โ€œtrailerโ€ and it is not have anything to do with โ€œhow much can my truck towโ€! A couple of years ago, they had a ยฝ ton Toyota towing the space shuttle! A 5th wheel puts approximately 25% of its loaded weight on your rear axel.

1, a fifth wheel isn't a "trailer"?

2, the pin weight is highly variable. I've seen anywhere from 15%-25%.

It all comes down to the individual rig. One thing I'll do is run a rig's dry weights through a calculator to estimate/extrapolate it's wet/loaded weight:
http://towingplanner.com/Estimators/TonguePinWeightFromDry
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
OK, a 5th wheel is not a โ€œtrailerโ€ and it is not have anything to do with โ€œhow much can my truck towโ€! A couple of years ago, they had a ยฝ ton Toyota towing the space shuttle! A 5th wheel puts approximately 25% of its loaded weight on your rear axel. You understand, it is loaded weight, with water, propane, food, beverages, clothes, even batteries are not included with โ€œpublished dry weight figuresโ€. Also, note that your weight capacity on the trucks door sticker does not take into account gasoline, gear, 5th wheel hitch, and passengers! Subtract weight of passengers, (use 200 pounds each), fuel, weight of hitch from your weight capacity. Then take 25% of the published dry weight of the 5th wheel, and add propane, dual 30 gallon tanks about 120 pounds, clothes food and gear add about 1,500 pounds. Water would be a little tricky, depends on how much you plan to carry, figure 7.5 pounds per gallon, I used to travel with only 10 gallons fill when I got to the site. Also, where the tank is, if behind the rear axel it could subtract weight, in front it would add! Finally, add that all up, and 25% of that total would be in the bed of the truck, how does that add up to the โ€œadjustedโ€ capacity? If that โ€œfitsโ€ you should be ok, front rear axel weights can only be determined using scales, which you should do after everything is set up! Good luck, enjoy your new rig!

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œI do not travel with water other than a couple of gallons in the black tank...โ€

If you come out West youโ€™ll miss a bunch of beautiful campgrounds that are dry. Buy/plan to carry the weight of a full fresh tank IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ependydad
Explorer
Explorer
With 3,000 pounds of cargo carrying capacity left, you're looking at fifth wheels in the range of 12,000 lbs (if 25% pin weight) to 15,000 pounds (if 20% pin weight).

The challenge then is looking at the weight carried by the rear axle and making sure there's enough leftover in the GAWR and the tire loading capacity.

If you can take the truck loaded up like you would normally travel, it'll tell you real numbers of what's left over from a payload and rear GAWR perspective.
2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2018 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: TrailerSaver TS3
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
With those axle ratings.......
14K GVWR 5th wheel
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31