cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

idahotote

chips47
Explorer
Explorer
has anyone purchased this trailer that attaches to the back of your fifth wheel to load a motorcycle or golf cart on? I have a Montana 347THT but thinking down the road of maybe a landmark grand canyon which advertises that it is insulated to 0 degrees, and offers more living area for possible winter months in a warmer climate than Ohio, but the Harley ultra classic has to go with us.
14 REPLIES 14

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Just because this isn't a "trailer" in common usage, doesn't mean that the jurisdiction can't call it a "trailer". Just look at most municipal firearms laws that call BB guns and slingshots "firearms".

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
That's always been my thought too: doesn't really matter how it's attached, it's still a trailer. But I did it anyway for a few years. ๐Ÿ™‚ We were in Virginia and never garnered a second look from the LEO's.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry folks, as of my September communication with NY Motor Vehicles, the type of connection, either rigid or ball, has no bearing on the determination. They are classed as a trailer in NY and therefore cannot be used. Having spent 28 years in the field, I know that there are many officers who do not know the laws in unusual circumstances such as this. The Thruway does have it's own rules but they are still bound by the NYS Vehicle laws.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

greg_garlow
Explorer
Explorer
We have an Idahotote, purchased in April 2012, and have used it to pull a Honda Goldwing and now a Smartcar. We have it mounted behind a Carri-Lite 36MAX1. The Idahotote is not requested separately but licensed as part of the fifth wheel. Our tow vehicle is a Freightliner Sportchassis M2-106.

We have pulled the combination in California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Minnesota, Nebraska, New York, Nevada, North Dakota, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Utah, South Dakota, Wisconsin, and Wyoming. With that said we have only had one issue. That was on the New York turnpike (although part of the Interstate system they are grandfathered and have their own rules). The rules were changing and there was some confusion about whether the tote was allowed. The officer was careful to not label it illegal and recommended/requested that we use the Interstate as there would not be an issue there. When we left the toll station the operator stated a new radio response was given and the combination was now allowed. Because of the on-board anxiety we later stopped an highway patrol officer who confirmed he considered the combination legal and safe.

With that said, there are some things you can do to lower legal issues. First, recognize that not all roads are considered equal. There are different rules for local and federal roads. We are careful to stay on Interstates and US highways whenever possible. Using a Trucker's Atlas for approved roads is a must. If you get stopped you will have least tried to do your homework. Make sure you have enough truck. My wife is convinced that the Freightliner, versus 250/350 style truck gives the impression of safety and provides some lowering of officer pucker factor.

As far as your frame, I would call Greg at Idahotote and ask him if he knows of any attached to your type unit. He is upfront and will tell you if there have been any problems.

Good Luck.

Greg Garlow

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

We have a Idaho Tote (IT) attached to our Carri-Lite 36XTRM5 5er, and have been using it fulltime for the last seven years. We first used it to carry a Yamaha Rhino, and the last two years we've been carrying a Smart Car on it. We traveled much of the country from Texas to the west even California, Oregon, Washington and all the way to Alaska. Last year we went to the Canadian maritimes with it New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Newfoundland. Had no problems traveling with it in the northeast. We have never been stopped and by LEO been pulled along side and looked over closely and waved at by them. As stated its not a double-tow its and extention of your 5er. From the gitgo I have only moved my 5er plates to the rear of my Tote. The IT is a good well built tote and has worked well for us in our travels.

"Happy Trails"
Chiefneon

webslave
Explorer
Explorer
I've never owned one, however, I was camped next to one at a campground in Nebraska. He was from Virginia (now this was 8 years ago) and when I asked him how hard it was towing two trailers, he laughed, and told me he wasn't towing two trailers, just one. He did tell me that it took some time to get used to the extra "swing length" of having it on the back. Since the "unit" is connected to the trailer in two places and the connections are "hard" (no ball mounts, no latches or releases; they articulate up and down only) that they are considered "articulated extensions" of the base trailer. Now I didn't ask him about VA in particular, but, he told me he had only been stopped once (OK) and after the LEO inspected it, was told to "carry on" (the LEO had never seen one). Now, that doesn't mean that they are legal, and since I talked to him 8 years ago, things might have changed, but, I would imagine that it is more an "LEO" thing as to whether you are stopped or not and if there wasn't a specific law addressing that type of attachment (it isn't by definition a "trailer"; he had special wheels welded to the front frame member to make it easier to detach, but, he said he almost never "fought with the #$#@ thing" to remove it) I would imagine it could be argued in court, but, then you have to decide if that type of "fight" is worth the value of the device. A poster above mentions "over-all" length and it didn't come up in my conversation with the guy that owned one, although, IIRC, his 5er was rather short (shorter than my 34' 318SAB), so, his OAL may have been legal. I know they make 5ers longer than what I remember his total length was.
My 2 cents, your mileage may vary...

Don
Bronwyn
Down to 1 kitty...J-Lo, the princess

2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX
2015 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk Towed

Bill1374
Explorer
Explorer
Not necessarily the guy on the road but I got an opinion from counsel's office at NY motor vehicle and they consider them to be a trailer, therefore not allowed in NY. I have also been informed that the same opinion holds in Va.

Bill
KZ Montego Bay in Florida
Rockwood lite up north
2016 HD Street Glide, 12 Fatboy for cruisin

Travlingman
Explorer II
Explorer II
msredneck84 wrote:
chips47 wrote:
has anyone purchased this trailer that attaches to the back of your fifth wheel to load a motorcycle or golf cart on? I have a Montana 347THT but thinking down the road of maybe a landmark grand canyon which advertises that it is insulated to 0 degrees, and offers more living area for possible winter months in a warmer climate than Ohio, but the Harley ultra classic has to go with us.

Proceed with caution! I just recently purchased new 2013 Heartland (which mfg.'s Landmark also) Big Country and it doesn't have trailer hitch. I asked about one and the Dealer says Heartland does not approve trailer hitches on their units and to install aftermarket will void warranty. FYI.

Interesting. My Landmark came from the factory with a trailor hitch.
2017 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah(sold)
2022 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Any of the swivelwheel trailers legality depend on what the LEO who stops you says. Like the man says: "Don't depend on what the manufacturer says".

We were never stopped with ours in any state that disallowed double towing, so I don't know how that would go.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
msredneck84 wrote:
chips47 wrote:

Proceed with caution! I just recently purchased new 2013 Heartland (which mfg.'s Landmark also) Big Country and it doesn't have trailer hitch. I asked about one and the Dealer says Heartland does not approve trailer hitches on their units and to install aftermarket will void warranty. FYI.

The Idaho Tote is not a trailer. It attaches to the frame of your 5th wheel. It is sticky as to wether it is legal in non double tow states. Everything we have read says it all depends on the officer that stops you as to " double towing " or not.
They have them big enough for 2 quads and Smart Cars.

Also, depending on the length of your 5r, and the size Idaho Tote, you could be over length restrictions in some states, since the company says it is " an entension of your 5th wheel. "
Good luck
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

msredneck84
Explorer
Explorer
chips47 wrote:

Drinking out of my saucer!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
downtheroad wrote:
Idaho Tote

Is that yours or just a stock photo?
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
chips47 wrote:

Check your local laws, and the laws of states you're likely to travel through, as this is considered a "trailer" in many states and is not legal to double-tow. DON'T depend on IdahoTote's, or others', web sites regarding state towing laws; there are many errors on them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho Tote

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y