cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Inspection

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Our fifth wheel trailer license tags are due for renewal in October, and under the law that went into effect in Texas last year, you can't buy a license without evidence of a recent (within 90 days) safety inspection.
On the surface, this makes a lot of sense, but in practice, not so much.
Yesterday, I hooked up the trailer and took it to the nearest inspection station to be inspected.
It passed easily, and the inspection on our trailer only cost seven dollars. (I thought it was going to be $15 - pretty sure that's what I paid last year - but he asked for $7 and I didn't argue)
The thing that concerns me is that we actually do a more thorough inspection every time we hook up.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/
11 REPLIES 11

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
sayoung wrote:
They are by requirements actually ride with you and you demonstrate emergency stop then show rv brakes will hold your tv from moving with minimal power.. That's why proof of insurance needed for tv.

That's never happened to me during a Texas inspection in 20 years. Perhaps it will next year - we'll see....

As far as proof of insurance coverage for the tow vehicle, it's much simpler than that. Liability coverage for the trailer is provided by the tow vehicle in Texas. You don't have a separate liability policy for the 5th wheel. Look on your Texas insurance card verifying minimum coverage - the 5th wheel isn't listed.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
They are by requirements actually ride with you and you demonstrate emergency stop then show rv brakes will hold your tv from moving with minimal power.. That's why proof of insurance needed for tv.

Charlie_D_
Explorer
Explorer
RustyJC wrote:
The law is nothing new. Ever since moving back to Texas in 1997, we've had all of our 5th wheels (which had GVWRs over 4500 lbs - the cutoff in the Texas Transportation Code statutes) inspected annually. All that has changed is that, instead of an inspection sticker, the inspection is entered into the State registration database, and the presence of a registration sticker proves that a safety inspection has been performed. There were just a lot of people ignoring the law before the new system went into effect. Now it's no inspection = no registration renewal.

You'll see the balance of the inspection charge appear on your registration renewal notice.

Rusty

There is no longer an inspection sticker for trailers just as there is no longer a separate one for vehicles. One sticker proves inspection and current license date on the windshield of vehicles.

While returning home from a 5 week trip we stopped for a couple of days 200 miles from home. Went to buy some caulk and wife found the current rig. Upon delivery the dealer placed an inspection sticker on drivers side under the bedroom slide out.

I did not have it inspected until several years ago when the new law went into effect. Texas changed the existing law from requiring an inspection sticker each year and paying for the license for the plate but not requiring that proof prior to issuing a new license plate sticker. The current law requires proof of inspection prior to issuing a sticker to place on the license plate. Same as with a vehicle.

When I moved back to Texas in 2010 I had to have my previous rig inspected prior to getting a license for the first time. I did not have it inspected again until the new rule went into effect. I was illegally using it on the road without that inspection sticker although I got a new sticker to place on the license plate. This year was $128.50.

Inspection of lights, look at the tires and hand me a paper to take to the Tax Assessor to get my new license plate sticker. $7.00. Vehicle and trailer prior to inspection also requires proof of insurance.

Edited to correct cost of license.
Enjoying Your Freedom?
Thank A Veteran
Native Texan
2013 Prime Time Crusader 330MKS
2018 Chevy 2500 D/A Z71 4x4 Offroad
2006 Holiday Rambler Savoy 33SKT-40,000 trouble free miles-retired
2006 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired
2013 Chevy 2500 D/A-retired

Irelands_child
Explorer
Explorer
NY requires an inspection. It's only 6 bucks and all the station does is look at the lights though are supposed to pull a wheel which I have never seen done. Had mine done about 3 hours ago along with my truck (10 bucks for a diesel pickup vs $21 for a gasser) and both passed. In NY to date, you can relicense your trailer without proof of inspection and that license fee keeps on climbing - now $190/year for 38 feet and 12,000 pounds vs $28.50/year for my 8360 pound 23 foot long truck.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
They inspect the brakes here in Virginia for wear but don't do an actual brake test using the electric brake controller. They do check all of the safety lights. I have been failed a couple of times on one of my trailers for having backup lights on the rear that was not under control of the truck safety lights switching. Having a manual backup light switch doesn't work here haha... So I moved those backup lights to the rear side of the trailer up high using manual control switch and that got passed ok... That actually worked out better for seeing where I was backing into as you can't really see directly behind the trailer anyway. They also looked at all the safety light lens for the DOT APPROVED numbers.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
bobcouch wrote:
Have to admit, I never got mine inspected until they required it to get it registered last year.

I have mine inspected every year, but I didn't for the first two years that I owned it. The dealership didn't do inspections, so they didn't mention that one was required.

Nope, the 2 5th wheels that I purchased in Texas after 1997 were both delivered with no inspection sticker. Did you ever have a new motor vehicle in Texas delivered with no inspection sticker? Like I said, a LOT of people ignored the law before the new system went into place.

Rusty

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

bobcouch
Explorer
Explorer
Have to admit, I never got mine inspected until they required it to get it registered last year.

I have mine inspected every year, but I didn't for the first two years that I owned it. The dealership didn't do inspections, so they didn't mention that one was required.
Bob and Honey Couch
2008 Keystone Everest
2007 Dodge MegaCab w/ 5.9 Cummins
http://boggythicket.blogspot.com/

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
bobcouch wrote:
........but he asked for $7 and I didn't argue)
The thing that concerns me is that we actually do a more thorough inspection every time we hook up.

TX here also. Some say the inspector actually tested their brakes. But on mine they only checked the lights and maybe glanced at the tires. Took longer to do the paperwork than the inspection.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
The law is nothing new. Ever since moving back to Texas in 1997, we've had all of our 5th wheels (which had GVWRs over 4500 lbs - the cutoff in the Texas Transportation Code statutes) inspected annually. All that has changed is that, instead of an inspection sticker, the inspection is entered into the State registration database, and the presence of a registration sticker proves that a safety inspection has been performed. There were just a lot of people ignoring the law before the new system went into effect. Now it's no inspection = no registration renewal.

You'll see the balance of the inspection charge appear on your registration renewal notice.

Rusty

B&W RVK3600

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
extra tax money that,s what its about, here in ohio , my county has no car emissions inspection but the county next to me does.

Tyler0215
Explorer
Explorer
Just another tax. Keep doing your own inspection.