cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jayco Eagle HT propane door issues

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
So we went to pick up our new Jayco Eagle HT 29.5 bhoq yesterday only there was what I consider a major issue. The door that covers the propane tanks was bulging out and difficult to close. When we opened the door we saw that the tanks were sticking out past the outside of the trailer which explained why the door was bulging. So no big deal just adjust the tray the tanks sit in right? Well no. The tanks were already basically tounching the trailer frame rail. We looked at other new Eagle hts on the lot with different floor plans and it seemed to be a common problem. Have the Eagle ht always been this way? Has anyone seen this and had it fixed?

I went online last night and didn’t see any reviews with the problem but reading newer Jayco reviews is maybe not the best idea because the overall quality seems questionable after reading those. At this point my faith in the Jayco brand is not high. If this issue can’t be fixed and is a design problem what other brands are built as well (or better really) than Jayco?
23 REPLIES 23

Jayco_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
Update on door fix. Talked to the dealer and he is having a update kit shipped to my home address. It is coming from a Jayco supplier not Jayco direct. ( Things happen when you let them know you went to Jayco yourself) I agreed to install it. My dealer's low quality tech's already did some mess ups so I will install it. I will post pictures of the spacer, and before and after installed pic's.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
windellmc wrote:
It probably looks great on the drawing with a tolerance production cannot hold.

Or the CAD guy forgot to take the thickness of a material into account when dimensioning.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
It probably looks great on the drawing with a tolerance production cannot hold.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
fj12ryder wrote:
Wow, nice to know there's a fix, but it sure seems like a "doofer" to me: "It'll "do for" now". Just not thought out properly in the first place.

I'm sure it was thought out ahead of time, but the build is another story...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, nice to know there's a fix, but it sure seems like a "doofer" to me: "It'll "do for" now". Just not thought out properly in the first place.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Jayco_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2019 Eagle HT 29.5 same door issues. I was at the Boston RV show in January and saw the exact RV on display from my dealer. Jayco has added a small black trim spacer to the door frame and it moves the door out just enough to close properly. I pointed out to my dealer which he was not aware of the fix and is trying to get a update kit for me from Jayco. I will update any info that happens on this issue. Maybe everyone should contact Jayco Owner Relations either by Phone, Email, and letter. I am going to do same even with my dealer working on it also.

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
windellmc wrote:
I talked to the dealer today. Apparently Jayco is aware of the problem and has a new door kit to solve it. We shall see.

My question is, why the F did it ever =leave= the factory that way?! That is just stupid, as well as dangerous. I know my old Komfort's gas hoses would rub the door unless I spun the tanks slightly to keep it from happening. That's not a huge deal, but is something that should be mentioned.

Lyle

Based on what the lot units looked like, those hoses are not connected until they are prepped for delivery to the final customer so I could see why the hose issue was missed at the plant. The tank however was obviously a problem.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
windellmc wrote:
I talked to the dealer today. Apparently Jayco is aware of the problem and has a new door kit to solve it. We shall see.

My question is, why the F did it ever =leave= the factory that way?! That is just stupid, as well as dangerous. I know my old Komfort's gas hoses would rub the door unless I spun the tanks slightly to keep it from happening. That's not a huge deal, but is something that should be mentioned.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Fulltimer50
Explorer
Explorer
Not a problem unique to Jayco. My 2013 Lifestyle did the same thing. Not something I would expect from an alleged quality unit.
George

2011 F350 PSD CC LB 4X4 DRW Lariate
2015 Mobile Suites 41RSSB4 5th Wheel

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer

windellmc
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
Be sure to also check the gas hose routing from the tank, as mine was run down between two sharp pieces of metal, and I had to wrap it with a larger hose to keep it from getting cut.

The hoses were also pushing hard on the door as there was not room for them to make a nice bend coming out of the tank.

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be sure to also check the gas hose routing from the tank, as mine was run down between two sharp pieces of metal, and I had to wrap it with a larger hose to keep it from getting cut.

IBcarguy
Explorer
Explorer
To me, it's a design problem. They just didn't allow enough depth in that compartment to carry the 30 lb tanks. Stupid design mistake. The only solution is make a little more room or use smaller tanks. In my opinion, taking a little off of the edge of the frame rail for clearance isn't compromising the structural integrity of the frame at all. Simple solution and not a big deal to resolve.

Mine was built late 2017.

bluie5
Explorer
Explorer
Mine do that too only not enough that I can’t lock the door. I’ll be interested to see what Jayco has to say about it.
2016 Ford F-350 Super Duty CC PSD SRW 4x4
2018 Jayco Eagle HT 29.5BHOK