cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Keystone cap fading issue

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I know this has been covered many times before but wanted to vent my frustration. It seems some of the Keystone 5th wheel and travel trailers front caps are fading badly. I have read a few posts of customers that have had Keystone repaint these caps, some have been covered out of warranty.
They seem to be selective on who they will help. I noticed mine starting to fade at about 22 months after I took delivery. I didn't contact Keystone immediately because we were using our 5th wheel almost every week and it wasn't very noticeable at the time. It is now fading quite rapidly.
I decided to contact my dealer a couple of weeks ago. They told me it was a known problem and they thought Keystone would likely cover it. My dealer asked me to send pictures for them to forward to Keystone. A few days ago I got a call from my dealer saying the claim was denied. I called Keystone directly and was told I'm outside the warranty period therefore it wouldn't be covered. They suggested I purchase a product to remove the oxidation.
I now have a 2 year old 5th wheel that looks much older. I was hoping for them to except responsibility. I know they have warrantied trailers that were built before ours but for some reason ours was rejected. I sent an email to Keystone and my dealer expressing my disappointment.
I haven't given up hope yet. I will be contacting management at my dealer to see what they will do to help.
Wish me luck.
2019 Grand Design Reflection 230RL
2020 Ford F250 Lariat CC SB 4X4 6.7 B&W Companion RVK3300
41 REPLIES 41

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I don't see much talk about folks putting wax on their painted surfaces. Would that help? The manufacturers must be using the cheapest paint, like everything else in these trailers. I just took one of my electrical wall sockets apart - I rest my case about cheap.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
I have been paying close attention to this fading issue and how different manufactures are dealing with it. So far it seems that about the only one that really seems to care on a longer term basis is Cedar Creek. There have been several owners that reported that Cedar Creek has not just painted but has replaced the entire cap for this. They claim to be using a different gel-coat starting with their 2015 models to prevent this. If this is working for them they will get my business the next time I buy a new trailer. I'm really tired of spending my money to correct issues that never should have happened to begin with.

B.O.

I agree. We owned a Forest River product before Keystone. Great factory support and warranty coverage. Our Forest River went back to the factory 18 months after we purchased it for repairs. Everything was covered by warranty no questions asked. They not only did the repairs we asked but also changed a couple of light fixtures we didn't like. We offered to pay but they did it at no charge.
When we upgraded the dealer didn't sell a model we liked as much as Keystone. We had a few issues the first year with our present trailer. Our dealer and Keystone resolved them to our satisfaction. How they handle this may determine what we purchase next.
I shouldn't have to pay $2,000.00 to have a 2 year old trailer painted.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have been paying close attention to this fading issue and how different manufactures are dealing with it. So far it seems that about the only one that really seems to care on a longer term basis is Cedar Creek. There have been several owners that reported that Cedar Creek has not just painted but has replaced the entire cap for this. They claim to be using a different gel-coat starting with their 2015 models to prevent this. If this is working for them they will get my business the next time I buy a new trailer. I'm really tired of spending my money to correct issues that never should have happened to begin with.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
My Northwood Fox Mountain has the faded brown cap. I've wasted my time trying to buff it out several times. It started fading about 16-18 months after we bought it. Unfortunately NW only has a 1 yr warranty. They won't even help out with decals if I have it painted. Not very pro customer if you ask me. Several disgruntled NW owners on the NW forum. Too bad because everything else about the 5th wheel has been great.
To the OP good luck in your adventure.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
B.O. Plenty wrote:
Brown and gray caps from around 2011-2014 all seem to have this problem no matter what mfg. Mine did this this on the front and rear. The mfg paid to paint the front after it was a little over 2 years old. ($1500.) I just paid to do the rear myself ($1050.) The mfg furnished the new decals. I tried the Zep thing. It started to crack and flake off after a year. It was a mess to clean off. Tried buffing, that only lasted a couple months. The only real cure is to paint it. Mine were done with a base/clear coat automotive finish. It's holding up very well. Hardest part is finding a shop with a big enough booth to paint it. I used a shop that paints trucks and buses.

B.O.

Our salesman said the same thing. 2011-2014
I'm not sure why Keystone didn't approve the repair. I know that Keystone has repaired others that are older than ours. Ours is just over 2 years old like yours. They did say I should have called them when I first noticed it. Like I said before they seem to be selective. I haven't given up yet.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
Brown and gray caps from around 2011-2014 all seem to have this problem no matter what mfg. Mine did this this on the front and rear. The mfg paid to paint the front after it was a little over 2 years old. ($1500.) I just paid to do the rear myself ($1050.) The mfg furnished the new decals. I tried the Zep thing. It started to crack and flake off after a year. It was a mess to clean off. Tried buffing, that only lasted a couple months. The only real cure is to paint it. Mine were done with a base/clear coat automotive finish. It's holding up very well. Hardest part is finding a shop with a big enough booth to paint it. I used a shop that paints trucks and buses.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
grampscamper wrote:
I know this has been covered many times before but wanted to vent my frustration. It seems some of the Keystone 5th wheel and travel trailers front caps are fading badly. I have read a few posts of customers that have had Keystone repaint these caps, some have been covered out of warranty.
They seem to be selective on who they will help. I noticed mine starting to fade at about 22 months after I took delivery. I didn't contact Keystone immediately because we were using our 5th wheel almost every week and it wasn't very noticeable at the time. It is now fading quite rapidly.
I decided to contact my dealer a couple of weeks ago. They told me it was a known problem and they thought Keystone would likely cover it. My dealer asked me to send pictures for them to forward to Keystone. A few days ago I got a call from my dealer saying the claim was denied. I called Keystone directly and was told I'm outside the warranty period therefore it wouldn't be covered. They suggested I purchase a product to remove the oxidation.
I now have a 2 year old 5th wheel that looks much older. I was hoping for them to except responsibility. I know they have warrantied trailers that were built before ours but for some reason ours was rejected. I sent an email to Keystone and my dealer expressing my disappointment.
I haven't given up hope yet. I will be contacting management at my dealer to see what they will do to help.
Wish me luck.

I had no problem, they actually sent me a complete set of graphics , and it was far out of warranty. 2008 Montana fifth wheel . Sent pictures, and they sent the graphics. Never went thru a dealer.

I believe Burlington was the manufacturer of the graphics at one time.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Dave and Sue wrote:
Our 2015 Chappy lite is in the shop as we speak getting the front painted.Ours was out of warranty and Coachman stood tall and"owned"their bad gel coat.Hope to make the trip down to Tulsa to pick it up this week.Dealer told me they have have had nine come in with bad gel coat.All getting taken care of.Nine with on dealer sounds like a problem with the manufacture.Also probably supplied all the parts for the rest of the makers too.

It does seem quite common. My dealer has been great to deal with so far. Other than the fading cap we're very happy with our dealer and the 5th wheel. I just assumed Keystone would willingly accept responsibility. We'll see what happens.

Dave_and_Sue
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2015 Chappy lite is in the shop as we speak getting the front painted.Ours was out of warranty and Coachman stood tall and"owned"their bad gel coat.Hope to make the trip down to Tulsa to pick it up this week.Dealer told me they have have had nine come in with bad gel coat.All getting taken care of.Nine with on dealer sounds like a problem with the manufacture.Also probably supplied all the parts for the rest of the makers too.
2011 Ram 3500 Dually Mega Cab
2016 Chaparral 370FL

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
I just got a call from my salesman. He tells me the issue has been escalated to management at the dealer and Keystone. Hopefully I will get a satisfactory resolution shortly.

grampscamper
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
My BIL has the same issue going on with a different make trailer(Coachman Chapparel Lite). Seems a very common issue. Caps most likely all come from the same supplier. Try to find out who that is and contact them also.

Chris

Thanks Chris. I may do that. I just called my dealer. I'm waiting for a return call to see if they will do anything for me.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
My BIL has the same issue going on with a different make trailer(Coachman Chapparel Lite). Seems a very common issue. Caps most likely all come from the same supplier. Try to find out who that is and contact them also.

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021