Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Light 5th wheels vs "regular"

Fineline1
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I am looking at selling an older smaller fifth wheel to upgrade to a unit with more bunks. It is getting hard to fit three kids in two bunks as they grow!
I pull with a gas SRW chev 3/4 ton so I don't want a big unit. I have no desire to upsize trucks so am thinking either a half ton model or a regular fifth wheel with fewer slides (in my mind, excessive slides are extra weight, extra complications, extra leak points, and extra weak points due to compromising the integrity of the main structure).
For half ton models, I was thinking, Cougar, Jayco, Chaparral, or Rezerve.
I can see that the half ton units are usually shorter of stature, and have fewer slides. Also in general, the floor plans are simpler.
Do they compromise on strength when building the half ton models, as far as thickness of materials, quality of components, etc.?
15 REPLIES 15

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Fineline1 wrote:
Hello
I am looking at selling an older smaller fifth wheel to upgrade to a unit with more bunks. It is getting hard to fit three kids in two bunks as they grow!
I pull with a gas SRW chev 3/4 ton so I don't want a big unit. I have no desire to upsize trucks so am thinking either a half ton model or a regular fifth wheel with fewer slides (in my mind, excessive slides are extra weight, extra complications, extra leak points, and extra weak points due to compromising the integrity of the main structure).
For half ton models, I was thinking, Cougar, Jayco, Chaparral, or Rezerve.
I can see that the half ton units are usually shorter of stature, and have fewer slides. Also in general, the floor plans are simpler.
Do they compromise on strength when building the half ton models, as far as thickness of materials, quality of components, etc.?

Check out the KZ Durango 1500 line, too.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member