cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Man on a mission, sorry but it's kind of long

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
It's been quite a while since I've posted here. Been dealing with some health issues that are, for now anyway, under control.

Living in California has its challenges and one of those is pulling triple, or actually double since it's only 2 trailers. Unlike any other state in the nation that allows triple towing, California requires the driver to have a FULL class A COMMERCIAL drivers license with Doubles/triples endorsement and a current DOT medical card. Don't believe it? Check with the CHP at any truck scale.

Now, under the reciprocity laws that exist between all the states, what your license allows you to operate in your home state is good in any other state. For example, in Utah there is no additional license requirement to pull any RV and it is the same if you want to pull triple. Under the reciprocity agreement that Utah driver can pull his triple combination up and down the state of California all day long and be perfectly legal. How is this fair and equitable? In fact I would argue that under the Equal Protection clause in the Constitution wouldn't California's law be unconstitutional?

Are there any lawyers (real, not jailhouse) here on the forum who would know if I'm on the right track or if I'm barking up an empty tree?

It is my new goal in life to right this injustice and get the vehicle code changed. I have spoken with the Commercial Division of the CHP in Sacramento and to my State Assemblyman's office and both agreed that it is something that should be addressed.

I'd like some input from the members here, law enforcement, lawyers, judges, anybody who can offer some meaningful insight on this subject.

As a side note, as a retired truck driver, I do have the necessary license in place. I'm just getting tired of having to get the DOT physical every year now. I have to see a "DOT Certified" physician and my regular doctor isn't DOT Certified so I have to find someone else for that function only and insurance doesn't pay a dime.

If the law can't be changed through the proper channels, I would be willing to go "out of compliance" and intentionally get a citation then argue my case in court and see where that takes me.
After all, it would only be an infraction, no big deal.

It's good to be back on the forum after a looonnnnnggggg absence, actually it's good to be ANYWHERE.

Thanks for reading
Steve

I woke up not dead again today......Willie Nelson
Retired Teamster
2012 Jayco Eagle Superlite 31.5RLTS
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B
46 REPLIES 46

Cedarcityman
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
bpounds wrote:
People often fear what they don't understand.

I understand that many drivers are more then qualified to drive while double towing. Some people even have the right equipment to tow that size and weight. I also understand that there is no distinction made between a qualified driver and someone with little or no experience barreling down the road at 80mph.
For me it has to do with the speed and experience.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
bpounds wrote:
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Tango__AE7UI
Explorer
Explorer
Cedarcityman,
Several years ago I was heading west on I-80 climbing Parley's in the pouring rain and some knuckle passes me in the fast lane rolling coal towing a trailer and a boat with no lights on.
He had to be doing 70+.
I said a prayer he would make it home without killing his family or some others.
It was a gloomy day and his lights would help other people see him.
Some folks just don't care about rules or safety and the "me first attitude" in Utah is in some cases down right dangerous!
2007 Tango 2660RKS Fifth Wheel, 2006 Chevy D/A 3500 with service body,

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"1 ton truck with a large toyhauler AND boat doing 80 legally, it makes me a little nervous for everyone on the road."

If equipped properly there is no issue with this.
Yes, there is.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
My RV weighs 23K my MC trailer weighs 2K with two Cruisers on board. My GCVWR is about 37,800#. My combo's weight is 35,340#. I could tow a nice size boat and still be within ratings. I could tow at 80, personally would not. I would stick to 75.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"1 ton truck with a large toyhauler AND boat doing 80 legally, it makes me a little nervous for everyone on the road."

A SUV with "P" tires pulling a 30' or longer TT is MUCH more of an issue IMHO.

I can think of 2 law violations and a vehicle rating violation that's likely in that scenario, even here in AZ. 80 mph is over the highest speed limit here and that rig would likely be 15-20', if not more, over our legal OAL reg. Be real willing to bet that it would also be over the GCVW of the truck, too. Just sayin'...

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad

I see other folks double towing RV equipment, apparently safely, seemingly under control. I don't feel fear. My primary emotion is envy.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

x2

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Cedarcityman
Explorer
Explorer
Born and raised in Cali. Moved about 10 years ago and felt that a huge weight was lifted off my shoulders. I hate what has happened to the state.
In Utah a motorcycle license, both written and driving, is much harder to get then a regular license.
I am all for letting people be, but when I see a 1 ton truck with a large toyhauler AND boat doing 80 legally, it makes me a little nervous for everyone on the road.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
Helmet is an equipment violation not a license issue.

BTW you need a class M in CA to ride a motorcycle. Do all states require a special driving and written test like CA?
Missouri requires written and driving test for motorcycles. But they aren't much harder or more real life than the car test. Like the car license, pretty much a joke.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
57 Panhead wrote:
troubledwaters wrote:
Wadcutter has it right. You and your fellow citizens elected the state legislators, they wrote the law. If don't like the law, change the legislators to people more in favor of your line of thinking. Posting on a RV forum ain't going to solve your problem. There is nothing in the constitution about "freedom to drive", it doesn't have to be fair. And if it ain't unconstitutional, you can't sue to change it. Change the Legislatures'.

I don't say this to discourage you, I say this to point you in the right direction. If you want the law changed, you have to have a new law passed. The courts can't fix this for you. They can decide not to fine you or jail you, but they can't change the law.

But when you are wearing your helmet in California I'm riding next to you wearing mine. The point of this post is that WITHIN the state the law is not applied the same to everyone. It should be. I also have a problem with having to meet an entire set of rules and knowledge tests that have NOTHING to do with driving and pulling an RV. The world of commercial trucks and Class 8 vehicles has nothing to do with pulling a 5th wheel with a pickup truck.
You asked for people to tell you if you were barking up the wrong tree. Then when someone tells you you're barking up the wrong tree you argue with them.

I don't know what else to tell you. You're always on transmit, never on receive.
I understand what he's saying now. The helmet issue that was cited has nothing to do with what he's saying is unfair. When in California everyone has to wear a helmet, that's fair. But when in California, he has to have a special driver's license, while the person driving the same vehicle right beside him, but from another state, doesn't.

Thank you, I think you are the only one reading this thread that understands the issue. I spent an hour on the phone with the legislative aid for both my state senator and assemblyman. We had a good conversation. I don't really expect anything to come from it but if you don't at least try you are sure to fail.

Steve
Retired Teamster
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Helmet is an equipment violation not a license issue.

BTW you need a class M in CA to ride a motorcycle. Do all states require a special driving and written test like CA?

57_Panhead
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
I'm not a lawyer, as you requested, so all I can do is wish you luck and sincerely hope you find success. I'll probably be moved out of this hell-hole before anything changes.

Fact is, unless you are an illegal alien, or a bicycle enthusiast, or a peace-nik, no one in CA government is going to care what you have to say.

This is true, sad but oh so true.

Steve
Retired Teamster
07 F250 PowerStroke
U Y B