cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modifications for long term travel

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
Since I didn't find anything on a search, I'll ask; has anyone with an older unit added features and ammenities of the newer rigs? I'm looking at adding a washer/dryer and full sized fridge to the garage, directly behind the living room wall. The reason is we plan on pulling for a year with the kids; we could get something more suited for the purpose, but may get stuck with serious issues (or none at all). Considering that our rig also has issues, but is paid for, and will have at least a decade note on the other, it's a gamble we're not willing to take. The money will spent on a better tow rig.

I'm trying to get some ideas about install costs (plumbing and electrical) and actually installing them for RV use, I.E. how to mount them? We will also be adding a set of bunk beds back there and a large wardrobe for the kids. Other mods; removing the u dinette and installing a table and reclining sofa in it's place, removing the small RV fridge and having a cabinet built, along with extending the counter space. Anyone ever take on that challenge themselves and care to give some pointers? Thanks.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***
3 REPLIES 3

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
If you do any plumbing, a good investment would be to upgrade the fresh water lines to pex pipe. Tools are spendy, long life of the plumbing lines is worth it.
Be sure to check all of your flooring for soft spots, as it's easier to do the repairs while the rv is already apart.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

norfla71
Explorer
Explorer
tempforce wrote:
sounds like a nice project.
keep track of the weight your removing and installing.
make sure you balance the load side to side and forward and back of the axles.
fridge and w/d should equal out. Bed and wardrobe the same.
2008 Ram 3500 SRW
2006 Salem 32SRV

***looking for a better truck this fall***

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
sounds like a nice project.
keep track of the weight your removing and installing.
make sure you balance the load side to side and forward and back of the axles.

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.