Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need help with sulphur smelling water

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
Ok guys- different type of question hope someone can help

I have well water and a whole house walter filter
I just had the filters changed and within 4 weeks the sulphur smell has returned
Although it doesnt bother me to much= I have a 5th wheel on my property I use for Air B and B and I am sure its a matter of time before I get a person it offends
I purchased a Camco 40043 TastePURE RV/Marine Water Filter which connect to the water hose- but it doesnt remove all smell

Does anyone know of any chemical I can put in the water that might help with this smell?
THank you in advance:D
23 REPLIES 23

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
THis doesnt make sense either- Im not sure if my post wasnt clear enough- I am looking for a chemical possibly to put in water to help with the smell
-----------------------------------------------
I can tell you how water systems get rid of the hydrogen sulfide, they aerate the water. They spray the water up to the top of a tank that has screened louvers aound the top. The H2S outgasses and blows out the louvers. In other words the same advice Lyle gave you above.

I don't understand how you think you can add a chemical to a closed pressurized system. You would have to use a meter pump to force pump it into your water lines. A VERY expensive proposition. Hydrogen peroxide would do the job and probably Bleach but the levels would have to be controlled. You don't know what you are asking.

And BTW I was a certified water system operator and treated untold millions of gallons of water.

Well I get what your saying- I guess I was wondering if anyone knew how to use HP or bleach to help control the odor as I cant afford the spendy unit

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
THis doesnt make sense either- Im not sure if my post wasnt clear enough- I am looking for a chemical possibly to put in water to help with the smell
-----------------------------------------------
I can tell you how water systems get rid of the hydrogen sulfide, they aerate the water. They spray the water up to the top of a tank that has screened louvers aound the top. The H2S outgasses and blows out the louvers. In other words the same advice Lyle gave you above.

I don't understand how you think you can add a chemical to a closed pressurized system. You would have to use a meter pump to force pump it into your water lines. A VERY expensive proposition. Hydrogen peroxide would do the job and probably Bleach but the levels would have to be controlled. You don't know what you are asking.

And BTW I was a certified water system operator and treated untold millions of gallons of water.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
garym114 wrote:
First you have to find out how bad of a problem you have by using a hydrogen sulfide test kit.
Then use the right treatment method, not inexpensive.

PRIVATE WELL SOLUTIONS
***Link Removed***

Yes I have already done this- and a bigger filter system is out of my price range right now- the question was- is there a chemical I can use to help with the smell? I have heard of hydrogen perixocide- but not sure

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
hippiemade wrote:

I just had the filters changed and within 4 weeks the sulphur smell has returned
Although it doesnt bother me to much= I have a 5th wheel on my property I use for Air B and B and I am sure its a matter of time before I get a person it offends
I purchased a Camco 40043 TastePURE RV/Marine Water Filter which connect to the water hose- but it doesnt remove all smell

Does anyone know of any chemical I can put in the water that might help with this smell?

We stayed with some friends in CO that had sulfur in the water. The told us to simply fill a pitcher and let it stand for about 30 minutes. No smell. Had a tinge when showering, but it went away quickly. Some times you just have to live with it and warn your guests. The residents in the "big house" had to deal with it the same way. This was well before bottled water, so we didn't have any with us.

Lyle

hippiemade
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
Since you are complaining about being on campground water this probably isn't the problem. But have you drained, flushed and treated your fresh water tanks with bleach?

And the other thing is that certain areas of the country just have sulfur tasting water and it leaves iron stains on the plumbing. As pointed out above the problem is Hydrogen Sulfide gas (H2S) not actual sulfur, which is insoluble. And the right type of carbon filter will remove it, but the filter will get exhausted and need to be replaced and cannot be regenerated. So when you use a filter and it works for some period and then stops working replace the filter or move to some place that has better water.

Just as an aside H2S can be smelled at amazingly small concentrations, which doesn't help matters. It is actually more deadly than Hydrogen Cyanide at high concentrations but you will never encounter that sort of concentration so long as you stay out of sewer piping.

Im not sure if you read my post? I am the owner of the house- I have a whole house sytem and I just changed the filter 4 weeks ago- I am looking to see if there is a chemical that can be used to treat the smell in my RV- and it has nothing to do with my holding tank lol- it is with my well water

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since you are complaining about being on campground water this probably isn't the problem. But have you drained, flushed and treated your fresh water tanks with bleach?

And the other thing is that certain areas of the country just have sulfur tasting water and it leaves iron stains on the plumbing. As pointed out above the problem is Hydrogen Sulfide gas (H2S) not actual sulfur, which is insoluble. And the right type of carbon filter will remove it, but the filter will get exhausted and need to be replaced and cannot be regenerated. So when you use a filter and it works for some period and then stops working replace the filter or move to some place that has better water.

Just as an aside H2S can be smelled at amazingly small concentrations, which doesn't help matters. It is actually more deadly than Hydrogen Cyanide at high concentrations but you will never encounter that sort of concentration so long as you stay out of sewer piping.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
hippiemade wrote:

We stayed with some friends in CO that had sulfur in the water. The told us to simply fill a pitcher and let it stand for about 30 minutes. No smell. Had a tinge when showering, but it went away quickly. Some times you just have to live with it and warn your guests. The residents in the "big house" had to deal with it the same way. This was well before bottled water, so we didn't have any with us.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

cougar28
Explorer
Explorer
Sulfur is a gas that in the water so aeration of the water will release the gas in most cases. I donโ€™t know if a filter on it own that will get rid of the smell.
2002 F-250 SD CC 7.3PSD Auto. XLT Short Bed 4X4 Off-Rd.Pkg.Highland Green,Westin Sportsman Grille Guard (Black) RBW Li'l Rocker Slider ,Prodigy Control Towing Jayco Eagle HT 30.5 MLOK,Handy 5er tailgate

garym114
Explorer
Explorer
First you have to find out how bad of a problem you have by using a hydrogen sulfide test kit.
Then use the right treatment method, not inexpensive.

PRIVATE WELL SOLUTIONS
http://www.pure-earth.com/well_water_filters.html#HYDROGEN_SULFIDE_
2000 Sea Breeze F53 V10 - CR-V Toad
Some RV batteries live a long and useful life, some are murdered.
Get a Digital Multimeter and Learn How to Use It