cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need tires Wheel size 6x16

chloesmom
Explorer
Explorer
Trying to buy new tires for my 2011 Laredo 295 RK. I'd rather buy LT Tires. But, when I try to find tires that match the diameter of my existing ST tires (30.6) I find that they seem to require a 6.5" x 16" rim.
Mine are only 6 x 16.
1)Can I stretch the spec?
2) I'm looking at Goodrich Commercial T/A all season, LT 245/7516E1 120R B They seem to meet all the specs that I need. Anyone have any experience with these tires?
3) Before I noticed the wheel width problem I tried to buy Michelin XPS RIB LT 245/75R16E. I asked the dealer to verify Manf Date. They called Michelin, they said the last date of manf. was April 2013.
Can't convince myself to buy tires almost a year old.
:W
15 REPLIES 15

iawoody2
Explorer
Explorer
You have to remember if weight is 12500 about 20% of that will be on the pin, leaving about 10000 on axles. My BFG Commercial T/A is 235/85R16E and rated to 99mph. Another thing is that all ST tires are rated for 65mph.

Okie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have LT245/75/16 on my 6" rims with no problems, got them at Discount Tire and they said that 6" rims would be fine.
2016 F-350 four door Lariat 4X4 long bed & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
Go with the BF Goodrich Commercial TA. ๐Ÿ™‚
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
LOL Good one.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
We got a new one....Seat of the pants testing.

FastEagle

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
Just looking at the Tire Rack spec charts for different 235 tires. All of them show a measured rim width of 6.5" but can be used on rims ranging from 6" to 7". Some of them 6" to 7.5".
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

chloesmom
Explorer
Explorer
12500 is the total gross vehicle weight. Have load range E with 3042 weight capacity on it now. Want at least that much capacity. Have a height restriction with my storage bldg. So, I don't want to a diameter much over 30.5

Busdriver
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the bf goodrich commerical very good tire. I don't think a half inch will make any differance.

Busdriver

2019 2500 Chevy Duramax , - 2017 Grand Design 303 RLS

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
chloesmom wrote:
Thanks for the help so far!

I really liked the Duravis R250, until it wanted to use a 6.5 rim, mine being only 6.
Do you have an opinion regarding stretching the spec and going with the 6" rim

Also, just got off the phone w/brigstone. They told me that ST tires have a stiffer sidewall than LT tires. From what I understood (reading the forum) it was just the opposite. Any thoughts?

Background: I can't go with a larger dia. tire. I just make it into my shed as it is and I want min load range of E 120

Were those BF Goodrich tires Commercial T/A 245/75R16E?

So you did not answer my question on the axles installed. What is the GAWR listed on the placard?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the money would these work? Looks like the weight rating is good and the rim size is right.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Michelin&tireModel=XPS+Rib&sidewall=Blackwall&partn...

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've read that before about ST tires having stiffer sidewalls. I've compared LT's and ST's and simply cannot see it. I can sit on an ST tire and feel it give, I can sit on an comparable LT tire and feel nothing. Also if you look at loaded LT and ST tires, there is usually a noticeable bulge on the ST tires.

So I guess I just don't understand what they mean by "stiffer".
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

chloesmom
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help so far!

I really liked the Duravis R250, until it wanted to use a 6.5 rim, mine being only 6.
Do you have an opinion regarding stretching the spec and going with the 6" rim

Also, just got off the phone w/brigstone. They told me that ST tires have a stiffer sidewall than LT tires. From what I understood (reading the forum) it was just the opposite. Any thoughts?

Background: I can't go with a larger dia. tire. I just make it into my shed as it is and I want min load range of E 120

Were those BF Goodrich tires Commercial T/A 245/75R16E?

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does it have 5200 pound or 6000 pound axles? If it has 5200 axles, then LT215/85R16E are rated to 2680 and go on 6 inch wide wheels. Diameter is similar to ST's you have now. Get the BS Duravis R250's for less than RIBs and be happy for many years.

If you have 6K axles, what is your center to center measurement? If 33" or more and you have the clearance above why not LT235/85/R16E's?

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

iawoody2
Explorer
Explorer
I got the BFG Commercial tires last fall and they are great. Just pulled from Iowa to Florida a couple of months ago. My 5er weights 12400 loaded for travel with 9880 on the axles. I asked for as current as possible on date code, they were only 6 weeks old.