Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fusion420 or new XLR 420?

BFMC69
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm a newbie and I've narrowed my search down to a new Fusion 420 or new XLR 420 and would like any constructive advise from how good the warranty service is from each company to pros and cons of each trailer?

I've chosen these two because of the floorplan / side porch that both offer. They are almost identically equipped and the only thing that seems to stand out to me is the cabinet hinges are resessed on the Fusion and the hitch weight is about 1100 lbs more ?

Also, I plan on towing it with a new Dodge 2500 megacab 4x4 diesel and plan on using the firestone airbags to help make up for the lack of payload.

Hopefully someone has some actual working knowledge to share 🙂
39 REPLIES 39

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
Very good and congratulations! Enjoy that new rig.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear they are treating you as they treated me! Another thing I forgot to tell you yesterday was they will do slide toppers from the factory too. Not sure if they are something you are interested in, but it's another off list option that is available direct from the factory...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
When all is said and done, if we don't get pictures, we'll come find you at a campground. 🙂

BFMC69
Explorer
Explorer
Wow !

Is this a snowplow forum now ? Lol....

You all have made very honest and legit points and I truly have taken everything into consideration. I'm a newbie on here but not to the TH world as I mention before I had a 38 Raptor and pulled it with a Chevy 3500 with no issues.

I feel very comfortable with the decision to go with the 3500 mega especially with the XLR being lighter than the fusion.

Once again thank you and safe pulls to all!

#Taken, I spoke to Kim the rep for XLR and started building a 420 and I am going to get the Tuson sway, correct trac and Equa-flex suspension among a ton of other things ! You were right about how accommodating they are too...She is going to do some custom stuff inside for me as well !
I will keep you posted as I progress....

lakings10
Explorer
Explorer
I pulled this fuzion with my 13 2500. Pulled great with ease. Never felt unsafe.
2015 Thor Hurricane 27k

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
The side by side with a blower sounds like a good idea.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
Down here, we don't get nearly the snow you guys do. But I decided to leave my F350 (gas) without the snow plow. I pull a 22' trailer with a New Holland T2220 fitted with a 7.6 Meyer Drive Pro. Behind it is a 2014 Polaris 850 with 60" Glacier Pro. When it does snow here, we usually stay out right at 24 hours before we finish.

Why do I say this? Both the tractor and ATV work like dogs 2-3 times per winter and then the rest of the year, they're toys. All tax-deducted. 🙂

As for the OP. I too believe you'll be fine. I'd do it in a heartbeat.

taken
Explorer
Explorer
It's that or sell the atv's, get a side by side, and put a 72" blower on it. Sounds like fun but the whole setup will likely cost 25-30k. I can pay for a lot of plowing with that $. However, I like doing everything myself, love toys, and could still ride the trails of Maine in it... Decisions, decisions...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
From what I read, duallys make lousy plow trucks - something I know nothing about. 🙂
Carl S
US Army Retired

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Well, when the 17's debut at the Texas State fair later this month, I may be inclined to order up. My daughter has grown out of my supercabs tiny back seat and I mays as well go long bed while I'm at it so I don't have to be so careful in the corners. No sense not adding two more tires at that point.... 🙂 no more plowing for me I guess... Unless I get a new 9'6" plow...
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
My wife was in the Army Carl and she rides like a banshee. LOL... But I do get what your saying. I still think that tolerable risk is a personal thing. I perceive myself as being completely safe. Jim wouldn't feel safe with my setup. It's an opinion. I honestly don't feel as though switching to a DRW would mitigate any risk whatsoever but it would make some people "feel" safer. Again, how much mitigation goes on is personal in my opinion. People often point out worst case scenarios as what could happen if you don't max out risk mitigation. I look at the odds of said incident happening and then decide if it's worth my concern. This process generally puts me in a lower worry category than many other RVers. For me, I just can't live my life prepping for something that will likely never happen. I'm not knocking those that do live that way. It's just not me.

Rodney, I agree with you 100%.

I would not be comfortable with your setup even though it is within the legal limits - not because it unsafe; but because I am more comfortable with a dually. Personal preference. I tow a lot in high winds and torrential rains and I enjoy the stability of the dually.

Obviously, if I were scared about every possible situation, I wouldn't ride motorcycles. 🙂
Carl S
US Army Retired

taken
Explorer
Explorer
My wife was in the Army Carl and she rides like a banshee. LOL... But I do get what your saying. I still think that tolerable risk is a personal thing. I perceive myself as being completely safe. Jim wouldn't feel safe with my setup. It's an opinion. I honestly don't feel as though switching to a DRW would mitigate any risk whatsoever but it would make some people "feel" safer. Again, how much mitigation goes on is personal in my opinion. People often point out worst case scenarios as what could happen if you don't max out risk mitigation. I look at the odds of said incident happening and then decide if it's worth my concern. This process generally puts me in a lower worry category than many other RVers. For me, I just can't live my life prepping for something that will likely never happen. I'm not knocking those that do live that way. It's just not me.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
NCHauler and Taken, what you both are really talking about is risk.

Yes motorcycle riding is more risky than towing a trailer. but one can mitigate or lessen the risk factors. For example, I am an ATGATT (all the gear, all the time) motorcycle rider. I ride 8k - 10k miles per year. The gear does not lessen the risk of riding; but it better protects me in the event of an accident.

Towing a trailer involves more risk than just driving a truck or car. There more than can go wrong. Does that mean we shouldn't do it? Heck no! We mitigate that risk by making sure everything is working properly, we are properly hitched up, our tires are properly inflated, etc.

For me, making sure that I am not at or over the limits of my tow vehicle are part of my way of mitigating risk just like watching my turns, preparing for a descent on a long grade mitigate risk.

We all have our own approached to mitigating risk. I am sure that my Army background taught me a lot about mitigating risk.
Carl S
US Army Retired

taken
Explorer
Explorer
If you perceive you need more truck that what is rated to tow your trailer, then it certainly isn't fact based. It's a feeling. You're allowed to have them. They might just be different than what others feel. I feel completely safe doing things my way. You feel safe doing things your way. Since both of us are doing just fine with our respective ethos, then logic dictates that we are both operating in a safe fashion despite doing things very differently.

On safety, some would say riding ATV's, motorcycles, and snowmobiles isn't all that safe. Now compare those activities to towing with a SRW vs. a DRW. What will more likely get me hurt or killed? Just leaving the house and driving at all is less safe than staying home. Everyone can pick what they feel is their comfort level for being safe and it will likely be different than others. Again, it's perception.

The good thing about forums like this is that people like the OP can read different takes on things from different posters and make up their own minds as to which of many camps they fall into.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP