cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Grand Design solitude vs used DRV

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
We are newbies at this. We have triplet 6 y.o. boys. Being in California I've read that we can't get most trailers more than about 30 feet long won't fit into our state parks. We are going to be spending Summers in British Columbia,Alberta, and the northwestern US.

Since we are not full timers would we be better off buying a new Grand Design 5th wheeler or a used DRV. We are thinking about something in about the 36 to 38 feet long range. Alternatively we could get a toy hauler but those usually seem to be more like 38 ft and longer. The toy hauler is intriguing because the garage can be used as a 2nd bedroom for the boys.

Is it worth it to get a used DRV unit that is a few years old versus a brand new Solitude or Momentum with all the latest amenities?

And looking at used units how do we assess whether it has been well taken care of?
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh
23 REPLIES 23

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Aridon wrote:
We'd buy another newmar

We'd buy a grand design, in fact have a 395 in our sights.

We wouldn't buy a drv again.

Can you please explain why?

We had the most trouble with it than any other RV we've owned.

We didn't feel the extra $$ we paid was worth what we got.

We sold it in 7 months and is never consider them again, much less after they got purchased.

We are buying a grand design 395m and will use the rear as a bedroom. We feel it is the best price for what you get and a quality unit. I can buy another one in 10 years and still be ahead.

Thanks very much for the reply. This really surprises me because they seem solid and most owners are very happy with them. I suppose there are bad ones in all makes.

I wish you better luck with your Grand Design. We have looked at many of them and have been quite impressed. They will likely be on our short list for our next unit.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

neal10a
Explorer
Explorer
The problem with used is just that they are used and worn. New units are not much better, because of QC issues. Sort of a **** shoot either way one goes.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
blofgren wrote:
Aridon wrote:
We'd buy another newmar

We sold it in 7 months and is never consider them again, much less after they got purchased.

We are buying a grand design 395m and will use the rear as a bedroom. We feel it is the best price for what you get and a quality unit. I can buy another one in 10 years and still be ahead.

Funny is you are buying a Grand Design. We pickup our ordered Grand Design this coming Wednesday. We bought the Reflection as I needed to stay close to 30' for our storage next to my shop. Plenty of room once I make it there just not a lot of room to get there.

We are also on the tail end of our RVing as age is catching up. I don't know what we will do when we have to sell our RV because of age. We have been RVng for over 45 years. Enjoy it while you can as age will catch up with ya eventually.
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Aridon
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
Aridon wrote:
We'd buy another newmar

2019 Grand Design Momentum 395
2018 Ram 3500 DRW 4.10

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

justme
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like we need Asia to enter the RV market to create real competition like they did for the auto industry.

Butch50
Explorer
Explorer
We had a new 2006 Elite Suites and trust me I'll never have another one. We had so many troubles with that they we traded in in a little over a year and bought a new Excel. At that time we were living in the units full time as we were on natural gas pipeline jobs. A $130,000 MSRP mistake.

I couldn't even begin to tell you all the troubles with it. When we first bought it and it was plumbed for a washer/dryer except the closet was to small for them to fit into. The RV dealer where we bought it had a good carpenter working there and he rebuilt the closet so they would fit in. We could never get it to stop leaking in the rear corner of the living room or over the vent in the kitchen. It had a fiberglass roof and when they brought the front and back together there was a gap of over 3/8" between the two sections and then the tried to put a trim piece on it and bend it around to try and follow the opening. Every tine it rained I had to pull out the rear sofa and start sopping up the water and use the wet/dry vac. We tried to have the unit Seal Tec tested were they force air into the unit via a overhead vent. The RV repair place couldn't believe it as they had preformed this test many times on other units and never had any problems. They could not get enough pressure inside to even test it. On most units they never ran the pressure fan higher than 4 as it would start to over pressure the rig. With ours they ran it at 10 and still could not get any pressure on the inside to use the spray test on the outside. Every where they walked around the rig air was leaking out of it. Through the pin box area, around all the storage doors and even around all of the clearance lights.

That's only a few of troubles compared to all the others we had. While living it it we spent at least a month at different times in a motel because our rig was in for repair and they still didn't get them all fixed before we traded it. Couldn't mess with it anymore.

What a nightmare, never have one again.

Over the years we had ordered 2 different Excels and never had any of the problems with them compared to the Elite.

This is in my opinion but I use to converse with another owner with the same year as our Elite and he had one also and he was having nothing but trouble with his. I was working 6 days a week and on call the 7th and many times 10 to 12 hours a day.

This rig 11 years later still leaves a terrible taste in my mouth in case you couldn't tell.

I'll get off my soap box now.

Butch
Butch

I try to always leave doubt to my ignorance rather than prove it

2021 Winnebago View

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Well the DRV is supposedly built to a higher standard as far as having a heavier frame, thicker walls with more insulation, disc brakes and suspension. If we do go with Grand Design, my plan is to at least convert to disc brakes and add a better suspension. I figure that'll be a big positive to the integrity of the trailer if it doesn't get beat up by the suspension so much.

OTOH, DRV really does seem to build a solid trailer. I'm guessing some of the components that we don't see, would be of higher and longer lasting quality.

Flintstones
Explorer
Explorer
We just took delivery of a 2018 Grand Design Solitude 375RES. We are really impressed with the fit and finish and overall build quality of the unit.

We also looked at the Solitude 377MBS and I agree that it's a terrific mid bunk layout. We really like the second awning and the bunkroom with loft above.

I would buy the new Solitude with all the latest features over a decade old high end unit. I worry about sidewall de-lamination, roof problems with age, frame, suspension, tires, and long term wear and tear of the appliances, heating and ac systems, and the unit as a whole.

Besides, it's fun to own a new rv!

campinghut
Explorer
Explorer
Lexx wrote:

I read that if you turn on both the propane and electric components of the water heaters, you get a lot more flow and capacity. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Otherwise I'm willing to change out the whole unit to a tankless one. Showers are very important to our family. My wife is a clean freak!

That only helps for the recovery of the hot water, quicker hot water heating.
Tim And Bev
2018 Mobile Suites 38RSSA, 560w solar, 2800w inverter (3 previous Artic fox trailers, 1 Cedar Creek, 1 Heartland Cyclone. In the last 8 Years)
2022 F350 (Previous trucks 2006, 2008, 2012, 2015, 2017, 2019, 2020 all Ford F350's)

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the great replies so far. Our kids actually don't use a tub. They just hop in the shower and shower themselves. Laminate floors would definitely be nice. Carpet just holds too much dirt and I'm allergic to dust anyway. Even if it were a newer trailer, I'd be inclined to rip out the carpet and install laminate or wood. Our house has commercial grade laminate and it's holding up well.

My wife loves the bunk house models. The Grand Design Solitude 377 has the mid-bunk with room for two kids in their own bedroom and another kid up in the loft above it.

OTOH a toy hauler has those HappiJack beds. The kids would be further back in the trailer so we'd have more privacy. Plus toy haulers tend to have much larger fresh water tanks.

We'll probably stay at an RV park instead of a national park. With 5 people, even with a large fresh water tank, I doubt we'd last more than a couple of days at a national or state park before we run out. And in all honesty 2 nights is probably enough. We could then check into a commercial RV park with full hook-up so we can take our 10 minute hot showers.

I read that if you turn on both the propane and electric components of the water heaters, you get a lot more flow and capacity. I'm not sure if that's true or not. Otherwise I'm willing to change out the whole unit to a tankless one. Showers are very important to our family. My wife is a clean freak!

BBworkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Additional recommendations: Shop around a lot. Go to some big RV shows. There are bunk house models where all of your boys will have their own room and space with a tv to entertain them at night. Or play video games. You will not be boondocking too much in the beginning. Full hookups in a park and the amenities they offer will help you adjust to RVing. Everyone has their favorite brands, but don't base your decision on someone else's individual opinion of one unit they have. When you find THE ONE that you love you will know it. Don't settle on such a major investment. The industry is largely made up of a few major corporations with different model lines. Look for quality construction, fit and finish. Just like shopping for a car, the dealer may not have the model you want in the colors you prefer, but they can get it. Even floor plan and bathroom options can be had. The industry is putting out good products and technologies have improved since the first slides came out. Enjoy.

BBworkdog
Explorer
Explorer
Forget about the state parks with the rig you are considering. Whatever rig you buy, make sure it is easy to clean with laminate floors (leaning toward the toy hauler there) because RVing with young ones is not easy. You will increase your overall enjoyment much more if you don't have to worry too much about what gets tracked in. Look for a unit with a tub for the kids. A few units do have tub showers. The con of toy haulers is usually the set up and take down times. Convertible furniture wears out faster. Unless you are going to take toys, I would not get a toy hauler. You are there to enjoy your family. Don't let the reality of child-rearing, and keeping them safe, detract from your experience. Been there, done that, raised five. Enjoy the adventure.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
Have you looked at Kz 5th wheels, well built, great support from Customer service an they have a number of different models from lower end to high end an price's are really competitive, much lower than allot of other brands but more bang for the buck ...

https://www.kz-rv.com/fifth-wheels.html

Safe travels

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Aridon wrote:
We'd buy another newmar

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes