cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Tires

Elwoodj
Explorer
Explorer
Just had a blow out on I 275 in Fl.( that was dangerous). My five year old properly inflated Michelin tire disintegrated (coachnet to the rescue). Since my expensive Michelin tire only lasted five years I was thinking of getting a less expensive tire and changing more often. I will also replace the other three. The tires are 215/75 r 17.5 H or J rated. Please recommend a brand for me?
Elwood & Kathy
36' CK3 Mobile Suite - 2006
2004 Dodge Ram Cummins 6 speed
HO 600 373
24 REPLIES 24

pcm1959
Explorer
Explorer
NO way would I go with a cheaper brand. The 17.5 cost less than the Goodyear G614. Plus, there are 17.5 tires from a number of quality manufacturers like Hankook, Continental, Toyo, and Bridgestone.
One thing about the Goodyear is they always seem to stand behind their trailer tires and pay for any damage incurred within the first 5 years due to tire failure.
The Michelin tire info says it is rated at 62mph while most the other brands in this size tire are rated at 75 mph. That alone is one reason to go with another brand over Michelin.
2018 GMC Sierra 3500 DRW 4x4 Duramax/Allison
2014 Lifestyle LS36FW
St Augustine, FL

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
It sounds like a "fluke" failure. I've seen a few reports of failed Michelins, but one was because of a brake problem that resulted in the wheel getting so hot that it actually melted the Michelin at the bead which deflated it which caused it to disintegrate when the owner kept running it deflated.

I ran the 17.5" Michelin XTAs on our previous Mobile Suites for over 4 years and never had a problem with them. Our current Mobile Suites came with the 17.5" Goodyear G114s and they've been OK so far, but our daughter and son-in-law threw the tread on a Goodyear G114 this year on their Mobile Suites, so nothing is a sure thing, I guess.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

Splashers3
Explorer
Explorer
Elwood (OP) - which Michelin "model" of tire were you running?
2017 GMC 3500 Sierra Denali, C/C, D/A, DRW, w/40gal Aux tank, 18K B&W Patriot.
2019 Cedar Creek Hathaway, 34RL2 - w/Bells & Whistles and disc brakes
Traded 2009 Cedar Creek Silverback, GII, 32 WRL

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
why change? you don,t say why it blowed? could be road junk,, 5yrs no problems , I,d stay with a winner.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
For my 34' 5th. wheel trailer, I have used the
Good Year G614 RST "G"rated tires for the last 15 yrs. and have not had one tire problem. I buy new ones every 5 to 6 years regardless of the condition of my old tires. They used to make a Wrangler "D" rated tire that the trailer mfg. put on new trailers to save some profit---They were useless and frequently blew out. Good Year paid to replace all four tires and moved me up to the G614, they even paid for damage to the trailer as a result of tire blow out:):)

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting - Just finished reading Trailer Life and their 2015 Reader's Choice Awards did not mention "Tires".
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
could have had a puncher or cut tire...but, yes 5 years..time for new rubber.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

1_Happy_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Maxxis
2004 Ford F350 V10 CC LB; 4:30 = Beauty
2006 Keystone Cougar 290EFS = and The Beast
EZ Flex Suspension, Air Safe Hitch

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Any other reason possible.. overweight..etc for the disintegration?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have you looked at Hankook. Running a G rated on our trailer and we have several friends using them on their motorhomes and trucks .....no problems.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot