cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie here with some hitch questions

ibboatin28
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought my first camper it's a used 2014 5th wheel Primetime Crusader 295RST.
I'm going to pull it with a 2015 Chevy 3500 DRW so I should have plenty of truck. It's equipped with a B&W goose neck hitch which I would like to use. In talking with many salesman before making my purchase most said I would be fine with the goose neck adapter. 2 salesman however said it would crack the unit where the overhang attaches to the body of the camper.

Whats the general consensus on this.

I thank you all in advance for any help that can be offered.
17 REPLIES 17

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
stew47 wrote:
Is there a link to broken box due to the Anderson? I really like my Anderson and hope it's not an issue

Here is one posted couple weeks ago.

LINK

FWIW, this is a pic of the =pinbox= that flexed while using an Andersen and adapter, not the pickup bed. Same poster said he saw a Mor-Ryde pinbox that was also deformed while using an Andersen.

Bed flexing and damage have been reported by both Andersen and B&W owners. B&W offers spacer blocks to transfer forces to the bottom of the bed corrugations instead of the top. Not to open an old can of worms, but the pin =weight= is carried by the center tube down to the frame mount. The base just stabilizes the hitch system's fore/aft movements produced by the normal flexing of the under-bed hitch mount. The reduced thickness of the bed floor in later models is what causes the bed deformations. (This info is from a B&W engineer.)

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
stew47 wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
stew47 wrote:
Is there a link to broken box due to the Anderson? I really like my Anderson and hope it's not an issue

I have personally seen bed damage in a RAM truck with the Steel version of the Ultimate with about 3.5-4K pin.

interesting...what happened to it

The bed is dented where the back corners of the base contact the bed. No doubt from fore and aft movement and downward compression. The base is farther behind the beds gooseneck connection. The front of the base is not too far forward of the gooseneck connection.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
IHnutz wrote:
I understand the concern many on this forum have about gooseneck adapters but I am sold on them because of the lack of clutter left in the bed when not pulling the trailer.

There are other alternatives that provide a clean bed when not towing a 5th wheel that don't impose the stresses on a 5th wheel's frame that a gooseneck adapter does.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

IHnutz
Explorer
Explorer
I have used this Convert-a-Ball adapter https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Convert-A-Ball/CAB-C5G.html for the last 5 years on a 28' Springdale and pulled it over 30,000 miles. I have had absolutely no issues with the trailer or the hitch. Other than being marginally more difficult to hook up I like the fact that I have almost total use of the bed to haul things like firewood, leveling boards, spare coolers, etc. I recently bought a new, larger 5th wheel and transferred the adapter to it and am confident I will not have any issues with it either. About the only downside to the adapter is latching the coupler and hooking the required safety chains without climbing into the bed. However, a handy tool is included with the hitch that with a little practice will allow you to operate the latch and hook the chains from the ground. I understand the concern many on this forum have about gooseneck adapters but I am sold on them because of the lack of clutter left in the bed when not pulling the trailer.
2016 Sprinter 269FWRLS 33' 5th-wheel
2008 Ford F350 Lariat Crew-Cab
1954 IH R-112
1955 IH R132
1965 IH D1100
1954 IH Farmall Super M
Amateur "General Class" WD9GLK

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
stew47 wrote:

I have personally seen bed damage in a RAM truck with the Steel version of the Ultimate with about 3.5-4K pin.

interesting...what happened to it

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
stew47 wrote:

Here is one posted couple weeks ago.

LINK
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
stew47 wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ibboatin28 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I may go with a B&W companion I know where I can buy one for a reasonable price.

Thanks for helping a newbie out!!!

One thing to check very carefully on a used Companion, are the tops of the side plates that hold the hitch head. If they've been exposed to sun for a while, they can sun-rot badly. If you see any pitting or cracking on them, plan on replacing the side plates. I'd also plan on replacing the u-bolts on the vertical tube. Since you won't be the original owner, B&W might make you pay for new u-bolts, though I have heard of others getting them for free as a 2nd owner.

FWIW, I have a Companion, and love it.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

stew47
Explorer
Explorer

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ibboatin28 wrote:
Thanks for all the replies guys. I may go with a B&W companion I know where I can buy one for a reasonable price.

Can't go wrong! Best part you get automat entrance to the B&W "FanBoy Club" !!!

ibboatin28
Explorer
Explorer

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I agree with all the above. HOWEVER. There are an awful lot of people pulling large 5ers with gooseneck adapters with no problems. There is no epidemic of cracked frames from doing so. But I would also stay with the traditional 5th wheel hitch.

The Andersen hitch, using a gooseneck type ball connection without a conventional gooseneck adapter arm, has become very popular. However, someone recently posted pictures of their pin box breaking due to the way the adapter introduces a different stress on the front of the pin box. Hope that does not turn out to be a common problem.

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
I also have the B&W turnball hitch and use the Companion hitch. The sweet part is how eas it is to remove for a flat bed and that the Companion is two parts which for an old guy makes it easier than others.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy the B & W Companion fifthwheel hitch that works with your B&W turn-over hitch. Had that set-up installed in my new Chevy 3500 in August and LOVE it. I too would stay away from a goose neck adaptor. It might be just fine, but why run the risk.
Drew, Lora & our two boys
Sophie our Toller
2016 Chevy CC, LTZ, LB, W/ Duramax & Allison, B&W Turnover ball and Companion fifth wheel hitch
2015 Grand Design Momentum 328m Toy Hauler
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i