cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie needs help

MustangMatt
Explorer
Explorer
Im about as green as they come when it comes to Rv and travel trailers. My wife and I are looking for our first toy hauler. Somewhere in the high 20’ to low 30’ lengths, and price range in the high teens to low 20’s.

I’ve been looking at a ton of trailers online, found a bunch that we like. The problem I’m running into is that every single one has nothing but negative reviews. Major leaks, plumbing, electrical, craftsmanship/build quality, customer service/warranty issues.

It seems that there are NO good trailers being built anymore. I know that our budget is at the very low end, and if I spent $60+k I might get something decent. However, to me $20k isn’t exactly a small amount of money. I’m hoping someone or multiple people can direct me to a manufacturer that isn’t total garbage. Any help is greatly appreciated.
6 REPLIES 6

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
If it's your first rV I would look at used units. There are good ones available, you just have to look.
Take your time, don't be in a hurry. Read and learn as much as possible before buying. The right rV for you is out there.

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
In that price range I'd go used.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

MustangMatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for the responses. I have a few that I’m interested in. I’ll go check them out and hope for the best. I appreciate your your help

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MustangMatt wrote:
Im about as green as they come when it comes to Rv and travel trailers. My wife and I are looking for our first toy hauler. Somewhere in the high 20’ to low 30’ lengths, and price range in the high teens to low 20’s.

I’ve been looking at a ton of trailers online, found a bunch that we like. The problem I’m running into is that every single one has nothing but negative reviews. Major leaks, plumbing, electrical, craftsmanship/build quality, customer service/warranty issues.

It seems that there are NO good trailers being built anymore. I know that our budget is at the very low end, and if I spent $60+k I might get something decent. However, to me $20k isn’t exactly a small amount of money. I’m hoping someone or multiple people can direct me to a manufacturer that isn’t total garbage. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Your price range means you have to find a used trailer that has been maintained and service documents. Generally, the longer the trailer is , the higher the price and the more popular the brand the higher the price will be i.e. Heartland, Lance, Montana. I suggest when you have found the trailer you really want, take the trailer to a RV shop and pay to have the RV completly checked to see al l the systems operate, i.e all the water,sewer,electrical , air conditioner, heating system, refrigerator, wheel bearings, propane lines. It will cost some money but may save you a lot of $$ in the future and headaches. If the tires are 5 yrs. or older, buy new ones.

CincyGus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I wouldn't let the negative reviews scare you off. People complain when things aren't perfect, especially on new purchases but the truth is, there is nothing on a trailer that is that challenging to fix if it's acting up. It is the most basic of electrical, plumbing, heating and air systems. SO find one you like the floor plan of, make sure it has a good roof and no significant water damage and bring a screw driver with a square bit and a caulk gun with some dicor.
2015 GMC 2500 Denali Crewcab 4x4
2019 Forest River Wolfpack 23pack15

Hope your travels are safe and the friendships made camping are lasting.

stew47
Explorer
Explorer
Nope. They’re all garbage. Just find the best one you can for the money you want to spend.