cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forrest1975
Explorer
Explorer
Hello everybody. Just got a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi and will be going to get my first fifth wheel this week. I will be driving from Perry, Iowa to Key Largo, Fl by myself and this will be my first experience towing a fifth wheel. . I am looking for some general advice for a first timer. Wondering if there's any routes I should avoid (planning on following gps) advice for campgrounds gas stations etc. also if anybody is towing with the same truck any advice on using tow mode, manual or auto etc would be greatly appreciated.
23 REPLIES 23

PatrickA51
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
do NOT blindly follow your GPS. get a state map at each state entry welcome center or AAA
bumpy

Been there done that, what Bumpy says take it as gospel truth. Also congratulations and welcome to the forum. Have a safe trip. Take your time you can always get there tomorrow, again welcome to the forum.

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a nice set up!
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

Forrest1975
Explorer
Explorer
work2much wrote:
djgarcia wrote:
GPG52! wrote:
Welcome to the 5'er family.
1- check and double check your hook up, do safety walk around before you start and at every stop.
X1-- make sure to do the "Bump test" every time you hook up the 5th wheel. Lower your front jacks so they are about 2 inches off the ground then use your electric brake to lock up the wheels on the 5th wheel and then just move your truck forward with a couple of tugs just to make sure you are hooked up correctly.

3- anticipate traffic ahead and keep a reasonable distance
X1-- stopping a 5th wheel takes a lot longer than what we are used to when driving our cars.

4- make sure to adjust your mirrors, I like to be able to see my trailer tires when I turn, this way I know where I'm tracking.
X1 -I visually scan the tires about every 10 min. to make sure is all ok. When you stop at rest stops, put your hand on the wheel hubs to check for heat. Warm is ok! If you can't keep your hand on the hub, you might have bearing issues.

5- be aware of your overhead clearance, most roads now have sufficient clearance but gas stations may not.
X1-- I prefer to use truck stops for fuel to avoid height and crowding situations. ie. Flying J or Pilot fuel stations.

7- Some parking lot practice is always a good idea.
Most of all enjoy. GPG
PS: I like the center lane especially where the on ramps are short and busy, this avoids having to deal with jack rabbit drivers trying to out run you so they do not get behind a rig ... (my pet peeve)

If you don't have an "Exhaust Brake", strongly encourage you to install one. Makes a big difference coming down hills:)

Do they make exhaust brakes for gas engines?

OP, what trailer are you matching to your truck?

I'm getting a 2014 KZ Durango 1500 D295CS. 8500# dry, 10000# gvwr so I'm well within my limits.

Forrest1975
Explorer
Explorer
Durb wrote:
Remember, being a Newbie, you will owe us an update on the tow home.

Will do

Forrest1975
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Make sure you strictly follow the truck's break in requirements for towing. They will be listed in your owner's manual. Usually, they want 500 miles on the vehicle before towing, and the first 500 miles towing at reduced speeds. But read your manual and be sure.

Thanks for the advice. I'll route around for sure. Want to make this as easy as possible

Sorry that was meant for hart-attack.

Forrest1975
Explorer
Explorer
DownTheAvenue wrote:
Make sure you strictly follow the truck's break in requirements for towing. They will be listed in your owner's manual. Usually, they want 500 miles on the vehicle before towing, and the first 500 miles towing at reduced speeds. But read your manual and be sure.

The truck is used so I dont have to worry about bureau in but thanks

work2much
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
GPG52! wrote:
Welcome to the 5'er family.
1- check and double check your hook up, do safety walk around before you start and at every stop.
X1-- make sure to do the "Bump test" every time you hook up the 5th wheel. Lower your front jacks so they are about 2 inches off the ground then use your electric brake to lock up the wheels on the 5th wheel and then just move your truck forward with a couple of tugs just to make sure you are hooked up correctly.

3- anticipate traffic ahead and keep a reasonable distance
X1-- stopping a 5th wheel takes a lot longer than what we are used to when driving our cars.

4- make sure to adjust your mirrors, I like to be able to see my trailer tires when I turn, this way I know where I'm tracking.
X1 -I visually scan the tires about every 10 min. to make sure is all ok. When you stop at rest stops, put your hand on the wheel hubs to check for heat. Warm is ok! If you can't keep your hand on the hub, you might have bearing issues.

5- be aware of your overhead clearance, most roads now have sufficient clearance but gas stations may not.
X1-- I prefer to use truck stops for fuel to avoid height and crowding situations. ie. Flying J or Pilot fuel stations.

7- Some parking lot practice is always a good idea.
Most of all enjoy. GPG
PS: I like the center lane especially where the on ramps are short and busy, this avoids having to deal with jack rabbit drivers trying to out run you so they do not get behind a rig ... (my pet peeve)

If you don't have an "Exhaust Brake", strongly encourage you to install one. Makes a big difference coming down hills:)

Do they make exhaust brakes for gas engines?

OP, what trailer are you matching to your truck?
2022 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD DRW Crew 4x4 Aisin 4:10 Air ride.

2020 Grand Design Solitude 2930RL 2520 watts solar. 600ah lithium. Magnum 4000 watt inverter.

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer

hart-attack
Explorer
Explorer
Forrest1975 wrote:
Hello everybody. Just got a 2015 Ram 2500 6.4 hemi and will be going to get my first fifth wheel this week. I will be driving from Perry, Iowa to Key Largo, Fl by myself and this will be my first experience towing a fifth wheel. . I am looking for some general advice for a first timer. Wondering if there's any routes I should avoid (planning on following gps) advice for campgrounds gas stations etc. also if anybody is towing with the same truck any advice on using tow mode, manual or auto etc would be greatly appreciated.

try to stay away from the Atlanta area if you can; we've had some troubles with roads over the past month and if can make driving a bit challenging

Jim2007
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. I would suggest using the interstates highways and travel at 60 65 miles per hour. Happy camping.. Jim2007
TV: 2016 Dodge 2500 Diesel
Rig: 2013 Heartland, Sundance, 5th wheel

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
You adapt real fast. Our Alpenlite 34 was our first RV EVER. Towing it was the first experience with towing anything EVER. Driving the truck, 3500 dually crewcab longbed, by itself was the largest vehicle driven EVER.

Our first trip was taking delivery of the truck & trailer. The delivery trip was from near Austin, TX. to the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay, MD.

Talk about jumping in head first!!!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Remember, being a Newbie, you will owe us an update on the tow home.

Forrest1975
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the tips so far. I will be driving from Fl to pick it up and then driving back with it so I won't have a lot of time to practice in big lots. Although this is my first fifth wheel I do drive a 27 foot boat trailer and have no problem putting that anywhere so from what I've read the fifth wheel should be a little easier. Just have to get used to the height difference. I will be camping in it at the dealer lot for 1 night before leaving so hopefully that will give me enough time to get used to it to at least make the return trip and then I will have about a month to get to know it before taking off with the wife and dogs for our first long trip. Any other advice is greatly appreciated

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Forrest1975 wrote:

Some good advice, so far. I'd add to take some time at home and find a big, empty lot, and practice turning and backing. Get some cheap cones at WalMart to mark your spots. Also, if your PDI when you pick up the FW is anything less than 2 hours, you're getting short-changed. ESPECIALLY being a newbie, you should plan on =at least= 2 hours, 3-4 if you can get them to agree with it. Video the entire process, if possible, because you =will= forget stuff. Another good thing to do, is to "driveway camp" for a night or two to familiarize yourself with all, and I mean ALL, the systems.

Another thing to look for on the web, are checklists. 3 lists is a good thing. One for contents; pots, pans, utensils, dish rags, dish soap, sheets, towels, TOOLS, PHONE CHARGERS, etc. Second list for pre-hitching walk-around and hitching procedure. Third list for unhitching and post-unhitch/set-up at your site. Better to have too much than not enough. You can modify the lists for your specific use as you become more familiar with camping. I've met more than one camper who, even after camping for decades, still uses checklists and have seen a couple guys with laminated lists that they check off as they go.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member