cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newby 5th wheel owner having antifreeze issues

magictom
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 40' 5th wheel this past spring. We've hooked up water, electric, etc., and have been using it in the backyard, but we are not able to get rid of the antifreeze taste & smell in the water. We have run, and run, and run the water from both sinks & the shower thinking it would flush out. Now it seems that the cold water has gotten better, but the hot water, not so much.
The water hose going into the trailer is on most of the time.
I ran the hot water until there wasn't any hot water left.
I added some water (not filled) to my water holding tank and ran the faucets (with the exterior water off) using the water pump.
Is this an issue with the water heater? Is there something I can empty?
Please help as we're going to have to shower...eventually.
19 REPLIES 19

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not good and my DH could taste in the old fiver for weeks. I now only use it in the P traps, I blow out the fresh water lines and don't put any thing back in them.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
What does the antifreeze smell and taste like?

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Also do not add anti freeze to the water heater. Put the WH on bypass and drain it.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like whoever did the previous winterization added antifreeze to the fresh water tank. If that is the case it will take a LOT of flushing to get rid of the smell.
You might try adding a cup of vinegar to the tank, then drain it through the rest of the system. Add a cup of bleach to the next fill, and drain it again.
You will get there eventually.
In the future though, DO NOT add antifreeze to the tank, use a bypass to feed antifreeze to the pump to fill the rest of the system.
Also, do not fill the water heater, simply drain it with the bypass valves set to the winter position.
Allowing a little A/F in there to dilute the small amount of residual water will not hurt.
Good luck
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
magictom wrote:
We bought a 40' 5th wheel this past spring. We've hooked up water, electric, etc., and have been using it in the backyard, but we are not able to get rid of the antifreeze taste & smell in the water. We have run, and run, and run the water from both sinks & the shower thinking it would flush out. Now it seems that the cold water has gotten better, but the hot water, not so much.
The water hose going into the trailer is on most of the time.
I ran the hot water until there wasn't any hot water left.
I added some water (not filled) to my water holding tank and ran the faucets (with the exterior water off) using the water pump.
Is this an issue with the water heater? Is there something I can empty?
Please help as we're going to have to shower...eventually.

I would drain the hot water tank ( remove anode rod ) and flush it with my little clean out wand ( about five bucks at camping world ).
I would then fill the fresh tank all the way, and drain it from it's bottom drain.
Hook up city water and flush all the lines well.
Re-install hot tank anode and try again, my bet is it will be fine.