cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Non 5'er----yet

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
I am fairly new to the RV scene. I have a 2008 Keystone pull behind but am looking at getting a newer and larger 5th wheel unit. I have a Ram 2500 Mega Cab 6'4" bed 4X4 with the 6.4 Hemi. It is rated to pull 15,200 lbs. We will be looking for something in the 9K-11K lightweight trailer and try and keep the max weight below 13K or so. It is just me and the wife traveling 95% of the time, but there is the occasional grandkid tagging along at times.

We are totally confused what to get. I think we've actually looked at too many RV's and there are a bunch out there.

I am trying to get some real world evaluations from real people who use RV's quite a bit.

I fully understand the majority of units regardless of who built them use the same components and such. But so far I am of a thought that the actual construction of the trailer plays a much larger role in the reliability of the unit than pretty furniture and size of the fridge.

Any recommendations on units that are reliably build but meet my weight limitations?

Thanks for any offered help. Bob
55 REPLIES 55

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Hitching any of these is a piece of cake because you can see what you're doing. I definitely wouldn't consider that a material factor in your decision.

Some on here have been pretty insistent that hitching up the Andersen is a problem, and of course they have never owned one, but that sure doesn't stop them. IMO its a great hitch, and I too have never owned one, but eventually will.

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
shovelhead86 wrote:
you have already got a lot of good advice. How long have you had the Keystone pull behind. have you had satisfaction with Keystone? A large factor is having a good dealer to get warranty or service done. Some dealers wont work on anything unless they sold it. I have a Montana 5th wheel. I have toured the Keystone factory 2 times. In 7 years I don't have anything bad to say about the company. No company can make everyone happy. the quality of my Montana is certainly as good or better than the others until you get into custom units.

I inherited my TT Keystone from my son. I like it fine. I'm 6'6" and the interior height of this unit is like 6'6.5". LOL I am leaning towards a Cougar 327RES so far as I like the lay out, the size/weight/price is right, and our local dealer sells mostly Keystone products.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Hitching any of these is a piece of cake because you can see what you're doing. I definitely wouldn't consider that a material factor in your decision.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

shovelhead86
Explorer
Explorer
you have already got a lot of good advice. How long have you had the Keystone pull behind. have you had satisfaction with Keystone? A large factor is having a good dealer to get warranty or service done. Some dealers wont work on anything unless they sold it. I have a Montana 5th wheel. I have toured the Keystone factory 2 times. In 7 years I don't have anything bad to say about the company. No company can make everyone happy. the quality of my Montana is certainly as good or better than the others until you get into custom units.

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. And I see Pullrite builds something similar now. On the Pullrite the ball is mounted to the pinbox via a more substantial looking plate than what Anderson does. The ball drops into the hitch via a funnel mount so some misalignment can be tolerated. This is a rail mount setup.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bobandshawn wrote:
It does look like the MOR/Ryde pin box can be used with the Anderson Hitch. With a lightweight 5'er as I am looking at this could be a viable option. Very lightweight and price wise not bad either. I feel like my wife in a Dooney and Burke (purses) store! Too many options.

I would recommend starting just with the Andersen hitch before you change to a different pin box. Again mine is a rail mount so it's a little different, but I'm amazed at how much smoother the Anderson tows than the Curt slider that I'm going to be selling in short order. There's no slop or movement whatsoever and it's completely smooth whether in traffic or going down the highway. Economical, made in Idaho and it works fantastic - what's not to like?

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
Pullrite sells a very similar thing now. It looks pretty nice. Installs on the rails and has a funnel type ball mount that can stand a little bit of misalignment. The weight of it is good at 52 lbs, but I'd have to add a rail kit to my factory prep bed. That doubles the weight. The new lightweight Pullrite looks very stout and I like the pinbox adapter better than the Anderson style. The pullrite appears to keep the pinbox mount area approximately the same as standard hitch would have it. The Anderson looks like it moves the trailer back a bit which may not be an advantage at all. I can't find a price, but I wager it's not cheap. With the Anderson setup all I'd need it the gooseneck ball for my factory prep that runs $150 or so depending on what you get. The Reese ball looks pretty nice.
BTW, the majority of 5'ers we have looked at have the tapered front caps for a better turn radius. I recently watched a guy with a pickup very similar to mine maneuvering a Keystone Cougar into a spot pretty slick without a slider.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bobandshawn wrote:
It does look like the MOR/Ryde pin box can be used with the Anderson Hitch. With a lightweight 5'er as I am looking at this could be a viable option. Very lightweight and price wise not bad either. I feel like my wife in a Dooney and Burke (purses) store! Too many options.

IMO a very good option. Its a viable option regardless of the size of fifth wheel as long as its within the weight rating, no different then another style hitch.

If I can get rid of that dinosaur of a slider hitch that I have I will go to one of these new generation hitches. In order for me to have that big heavy hitch, and able to remove from my truck I had to mount an electric hoist in the ceiling of my garage to do so, or take the hitch apart to remove . Then a wheeled cart to move it around in the garage. All this is eliminated with an Andersen or like hitch. IMO its a no brainer .

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Bobandshawn wrote:
IdaD wrote:

I've got a rail mount Andersen hitch in my short bed Ram and I love it. It's light, very well constructed and it's rock solid in terms of how it tows. My cab clears fine, and my fifth wheel isn't one of the newer ones with the rounded front-end. I think between the offset ball and the kingpin adapter you get about 8" of total offset.

The hitch itself only weighs about 35 lbs so it's very easy to get it in and out of the bed.

Bonus: it's made right here in Idaho.

I have looked at those and like them. They offer no provision for a cushion buffer to prevent the chucking and such that can harm both nerves and trailer frames. I am thinking the Trailair or Airborne pin boxes would be a no-no on these. I really don't want to move the trailer back unless I'd have to. But the Anderson is still on my page of thoughts.

I would have no concern with chucking and such with a Andersen hitch or for that matter the new Pullrite Superlite. Many tow with the Andersen ,and the MorRyde pin box. I tow with a MorRyde pin box ,and conventional hitch, and can see no reason anything would change going to the Andersen. I experience no chucking and such.

IMO the Andersen ,and PullRite are a great alternative over these big heavy , expensive slider hitches ,and the like. There will be more to follow as they become more popular.

There is a great thread on the Andersen over on the Cummins Forum that will educate anyone wanting to go to the Andersen style hitch .

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

I've got a rail mount Andersen hitch in my short bed Ram and I love it. It's light, very well constructed and it's rock solid in terms of how it tows. My cab clears fine, and my fifth wheel isn't one of the newer ones with the rounded front-end. I think between the offset ball and the kingpin adapter you get about 8" of total offset.

The hitch itself only weighs about 35 lbs so it's very easy to get it in and out of the bed.

I have looked at those and like them. They offer no provision for a cushion buffer to prevent the chucking and such that can harm both nerves and trailer frames. I am thinking the Trailair or Airborne pin boxes would be a no-no on these. I really don't want to move the trailer back unless I'd have to. But the Anderson is still on my page of thoughts.

Bobandshawn
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:

Yes, but OP has a Hemi not a Cummins, so likely has the payload to CARRY the fiver described. The total package size for size is far more more stable than towing a TT.

Correct. The 6.4 Hermi with 4.10 gears is rated at about 1,000 lbs higher than the CTD with the 3.42 gears as far as payload. 50 lbs more on towing.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
bid_time wrote:
Bobandshawn wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
As far as hauling and towing I think you can haul a much larger load than what the factory says you can. Limitation is tires, but legally you could be in a world of hurt. If you cause a death or injury to someone in an accident you could even be criminally liable even if the weight of the rig had nothing to do with the accident. Lawyers are like that ya know!

Respectfully this comes under......Internet myth.
Every LDT truck in commercial service on the road pulling heavy trailers is carrying weight above the tire placard payload rating or a GVWR number payload rating and in that industry your scenario is a non issue so why is it just RV websites where this myth is constantly spread.

I worked in criminal law, now retired. There was a couple times load and capacity came into play in cases I worked on. I do agree it's a hard thing to prosecute criminally, but these civil attorneys can make mince meat of your insurance company come law suit time. Very well may not be that way in other states, but in California you can't throw a rock without hitting a lawyer----and he'll sue you for it.

The CHP, state police, also will get ya on it. In the majority of cases they merely give you a warning. But here is where it's something very obvious like a 1970 Datsun towing a 3 axle gooseneck with 250 bales of hay on it. Back in 1983-1984 I was pulled over by a CHP in my 1974 Dodge 3/4 ton club cab. I was carrying a load of sod and I'm sure it was way more than what the GVW was on the truck. Lucky for me this was in a mountainous area and about the time he was negotiating whether I'd accept a lesser citation or take my changes running across a scale he got called out to an accident or something so I ended up with a warning.

Bottom line is, if you are overloaded (and its apparent) you could get nabbed.

BTW, I ran my pickup across the scales on our ranch when I got home, 11,200lbs. The GVW was something like 8,600 on that old Dodge.
Buy a Travel Trailer, you can tow a lot bigger TT with the same truck then you can a 5er.

Yes, but OP has a Hemi not a Cummins, so likely has the payload to CARRY the fiver described. The total package size for size is far more more stable than towing a TT.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bobandshawn wrote:
I am looking at a trailer with a hitch weight under 2000 lbs and preferable closer to 1850. And a total weight of 10K or so. Both figures are for the light weight.
I have been looking at hitches. I am thinking of the BD3 hitch on the truck and the Reese sidewinder as I have a short bed. Any thoughts?