cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Omnidirectional TV Antenna

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
We were recently on a trip to a somewhat remote campground where we had electricity so we decided to try to get a TV signal. I have a newer 5th wheel with an Omnidirectional 360 degree (non telescopic)
antenna. I ran a complete channel scan with no result.

My camping neighbor had an older analog TV with a converter box. He has a telescoping directional antenna.
He was able to pick up 4 channels.

Does anyone have experience with the omnidirectional antenna and would I be better off to have a telescoping antenna on my rig?

Thanks for any input!
Tony
Semper Fi

Tony, Darlene & the boss Bentley!
2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".
2014 Arctic Fox 29-5K 5th wheel with Reese Airborne Pin Box.
17 REPLIES 17

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your help!!
I'll either replace the omni with a sensar or get the jack and attach it to my ladder when I need too.
Semper Fi

2013 Ram CTD, Ride-Rite Air Bags, B&W Turnover Ball and Andersen "Ultimate 5th Wheel Connection".

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
The Jack power source powers up the cable coax, and even the satellite coax, if you want. YMMV

Jerry
I chose to use my existing Winegard wallplate which supplies antenna power. The A/B switch is connected to the Winegard antenna-in connector. The antenna and cable TV cables connect to the A/B switch.

Your solution gives you the benefit of switching antennas by pushing the on/off button on the wallplate.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tom_M wrote:
MFL wrote:
Yes, I connect to the cable tv fitting, which is right around the corner from my ladder. When you order the Jack head, it comes with about 10 ft of coax. I just use a couple stretch cords to fasten mast to ladder, screw on coax fitting, and done.

Jerry
For the typical RV this will not work. The Jack needs 12 volt DC fed up the coax to power the amplifier in the antenna. The cable TV connection does not supply any power.

I do the same thing but I have an A/B switch that switches between the standard roof antenna and my mast mounted antenna.

Not sure what you mean by typical, but my RV works just fine. The Jack power source powers up the cable coax, and even the satellite coax, if you want. YMMV

Jerry

Tom_M1
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Yes, I connect to the cable tv fitting, which is right around the corner from my ladder. When you order the Jack head, it comes with about 10 ft of coax. I just use a couple stretch cords to fasten mast to ladder, screw on coax fitting, and done.

Jerry
For the typical RV this will not work. The Jack needs 12 volt DC fed up the coax to power the amplifier in the antenna. The cable TV connection does not supply any power.

I do the same thing but I have an A/B switch that switches between the standard roof antenna and my mast mounted antenna.
Tom
2005 Born Free 24RB
170ah Renogy LiFePo4 drop-in battery 400 watts solar
Towing 2016 Mini Cooper convertible on tow dolly
Minneapolis, MN

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Bayley wrote:
MFL: where do you connect the coaxial cable from your Jack antenna that is attached the ladder? Does it connect to the outside coaxial connection on the RV?

Jerry

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Isnt it ironic? You can spend hundreds-thousands of dollars on gadgets and gizmos from manufacturers that make tons of promises and a simple piece of wire or paperclip can deliver results.

Its one of those applications that the KISS method is appropriate
(Keep It Simple Stupid).

No disrespect intended
New to the RV world and loving every minute of it.
2015 Nissan Frontier 4x4 6 cyl
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
willi4nd wrote:
n7bsn wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
An Omnidirectional antenna receives equally bad in all directions. Best thing to do is trash it anf get a Winegard Sensar IV.

Ken

What he said, I compared my Jensen "omni" vrs a random chunk of wire, and the random chunk of wire worked better then the omni.

"Random chunk of wire" 🙂 That one made me chuckle !

Bayley, how many stations do you normally get in town? I was only getting a couple and our dealer found a couple COAX barrels that had bad crimps and/or frayed wire grounding out. Repair of that and replacing our stock antenna gave us excellent results.

Not me. I knew exactly what he was saying. I attached this to the antenna (coax) connection on the back of one of my televisions some time ago, and picked up several stations. You can stick a paper clip in the hole and it will pick up High Def stations too:

Bayley
Explorer
Explorer
MFL: where do you connect the coaxial cable from your Jack antenna that is attached the ladder? Does it connect to the outside coaxial connection on the RV?
Semper Fi

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
TXiceman wrote:
An Omnidirectional antenna receives equally bad in all directions. Best thing to do is trash it anf get a Winegard Sensar IV.

Ken

What he said, I compared my Jensen "omni" vrs a random chunk of wire, and the random chunk of wire worked better then the omni.

"Random chunk of wire" 🙂 That one made me chuckle !

Bayley, how many stations do you normally get in town? I was only getting a couple and our dealer found a couple COAX barrels that had bad crimps and/or frayed wire grounding out. Repair of that and replacing our stock antenna gave us excellent results.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:

Ken

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

willi4nd
Explorer
Explorer
Replaced my stock Antenna Tek 550 with a Winegard Sensar and Wingman, 44 channels.

Was considering the omnidirectional but could not find many reviews and the $350 price tag scared me.
2015 Trail Runner SLE 22

Searching_Ut
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in my TT that had an Omni directional antenna (Not because of the antenna mind you) and had almost forgotten how much worse the reception was on it compared to the TT I had before it. Now that I have a good "old style" antenna again I'm quite pleased with how much better the reception is.
2015 Ram 3500 Laramie CTD, 4X4, AISIN, B&W Companion Puck Mount
2016 Heartland Bighorn 3270RS, 1kw solar with Trimetric and dual SC2030, 600 watt and 2k inverters.

TXiceman
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator.
2023 Cougar 22MLS, toted with a 2022, F150, 3.5L EcoBoost, Crewcab, Max Tow, FORMER Full Time RVer. Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We trashed ours and had a batwing installed. Biggest POS they put on campers, IMHO. We like to watch the news and at night while falling asleep.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.