cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Placement of motorcycle for towing

pjs1660
Explorer
Explorer
I'm getting my first toy hauler soon. Where is the best place to strap a bike weighing between 800 and 1200 pounds ? Behind the axle, closer to the ramp, or over the axles? Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
Generally, the garage is already in place, so you don't really have a choice.

Yes, 1200lb can significantly impact the hitch weight. The further behind the axles, the more it impacts. They usually design toy haulers with higher hitch weights, so when it loses weight due to loading, it's still got a decent percentage on the hitch.

Also, a big 5th wheel is less impacted than a smaller travel trailer. A big 15,000lb 5th wheel, likely starts around 3000-3500lb hitch weight and the axles are set further back, so if a 1200lb bike takes 400lb, off the hitch, it's still got 2600-3100lb (17-21%) on the hitch. That's the lower end of acceptable but still OK. A 6000lb bumper pull is likely starting around 700-900lb hitch weight, so if you lose 400lb, it's down around 300-500lb (5-8%) on the hitch. That's in the range where stability becomes an issue while towing.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Y-Guy
pjs1660 what type of toy hauler are you looking at? Bumper pull or 5th Wheel? Any idea of length yet? For the vast majority of Toy Hauler owners there is very little impact on the tongue weight of the larger haulers, but it does vary so knowing what you are looking at helps.

Two Wire Fox Terriers; Sarge & Sully

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J

2020 Jeep Gladiator Rubicon

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
There usually isnโ€™t going to be a whole lot of options. If you are happy with your tongue/pin weight directly over the axle is best. If youโ€™re needing to add pin weight move the bike as far forward as possible โ€ฆ. move it back to reduce pin weight. My bike and carrier weighs about 1000 lbs and is about 17 feet behind the centre of the tandem axles. That is about the worst place to carry that much weight but it works. My rv handles noticeably better without the bike.

2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
Have to assume youโ€™re getting a towable and not a 5ver. Iโ€™d assume their tie downs are placed for optimal loading.Iโ€™d think itโ€™d be set up more over the axles. On my 5ver, I keep it in the center of the garage and the weight is behind the axles. However, pin weight is essentially the same whether the bike is loaded or not.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)