cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Possible Wheel or suspension issue.

ghampton
Explorer
Explorer
I am having an issue with my fifth wheel that I am wondering if anyone else has experienced. When I accelerate from a stop while turning the wheel I am getting a bump-bump-bump in my truck steering wheel. Feels like an issue with wheels-brakes-suspension on trailer. It only happens when I am turning when accelerating like leaving an RV site or a gas pump. If I accelerate in straight line it does not happen. It also does not happen when moving, only when accelerating.
I have four new tires on the trailer, so I don;t think I have an issue with tire balance.
Any suggestions as to what this might be would be appreciated.
20 REPLIES 20

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
"getting a bump-bump-bump in my truck steering wheel"...."issue with wheels-brakes-suspension on trailer"

I'm not seeing the connection between truck steering problem and trailer suspension.
Problem may be more noticeable when hooked up to 5'vr but I think you need to be inspecting the front end components of your truck
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ghampton
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the quick responses. I have a 2010 Chevy Silverado 2500 LTZ four wheel drive. I have not encountered this issue when not pulling the fifth wheel. Although I will say that the three of four bumps seems to be getting more pronounced over time and the whole truck shudders. I have not considered that it might be an issue with the truck. Any suggestions on how to trouble shoot that possibility since it does not seem to happen unless I am pulling the trailer.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
fishingbob61 wrote:
You did not say kind of truck. If 4wheel drive could be a drive axle joint going bad in the front.

This could be a real possibly for the problem. Hard to know much with no information on the truck. chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Many long bed trucks experience drive line shudder under acceleration. Tell us about your truck. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Lorinmc3
Explorer
Explorer
My truck did the same thing. Come to find out, it was my sway bar on my trailer. I had it adjusted too tight. Unhook yours and move the truck while turning and see if the bump goes away.

fishingbob61
Explorer
Explorer
You did not say kind of truck. If 4wheel drive could be a drive axle joint going bad in the front.
Bob and Sue
51 years camping
2005 Fleetwood Bounder DP
2004 Chevy. Tahoe