cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power management w/50A and 2-15k AC

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Well, it happened to me, I dinged up my bedroom AC on my new 5th wheel, at my storage unit no less. The shop has suggested replacing the 13.5 bedroom AC with a 15k if a full replacement is required since the price difference is negligible. My question is will I have to do any power management like turn off one AC to run the micro if both AC's are running?
5 REPLIES 5

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
The commercial truck over-height buzzer went off as I was approaching the Hampton Roads Tunnel. We were 13'8" from what he could measure. With the low profile heat pump we are now 13'4".

It was just part of our RV'ing adventure.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

marspec
Explorer
Explorer
Jim is right. We have two 15K units on our 5th wheel and it has never been a problem. I had to change out our front AC unit after I was stopped by the VA state police for being overheight. We replaced the old 13.5 AC unit (with a heat strip) with a 15k low profile carrier heat pump. Good luck.

bigdon68

Thread hijack

I have to ask -- How did VA state police know you were overheight? And what was your height?
2013 F450
Towing 2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

Houstonkid
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for the quick response. I will move forward with the 15k, here in Texas you try to get as much AC as you can in the summer.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
jrp wrote:
with a 50 amp supply, No you wont have to worry about any power management; you can run every electr appliance in the rig at the same time on 50.
Its when you're limited to a 30 amp supply that you'll have limitations, and that's true whether the 2nd ac is 13.5 or 15.

Jim is right. We have two 15K units on our 5th wheel and it has never been a problem. I had to change out our front AC unit after I was stopped by the VA state police for being overheight. We replaced the old 13.5 AC unit (with a heat strip) with a 15k low profile carrier heat pump. Good luck.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

jrp
Explorer
Explorer
with a 50 amp supply, No you wont have to worry about any power management; you can run every electr appliance in the rig at the same time on 50.
Its when you're limited to a 30 amp supply that you'll have limitations, and that's true whether the 2nd ac is 13.5 or 15.
Jim