cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Pulling a 5th wheel

DickBlin
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a 4 x 4 flat bed truck to pull a 5th wheel.
Any one doing that with a flat bed?
Dick
20 REPLIES 20

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer

The OP is in NM = measure & go for it.

For *CA* residents, a pickup with flat bed means - req'd to stop at scales. "No Pickups" sign does *not* apply!
(Whether you get away with passing or not depends on the folks at the scales).

Not a problem for vehicles with out-of-state plates in CA.

~

waltbennett
Explorer
Explorer
Nutinelse2do wrote:
Morning,

Was considering changing to a flat bed on our old truck to carry a scooter. While investigating found out that the actual flat bed that replaces the standard bed was 2 1/2 inches higher than the standard bed due to the rails that the bed sits on, which would have made my rig ride to high..

Something to keep in mind.

That'll be your biggest problem. You'll have to cut some holes in the flat bed to mount the hitch, and then have to get the whole rig level. If the bed is higher, you'd better have a hitch and trailer that has enough 'adjustability'.
'06 F350 TD, Softopper, airbags, AeroShield, coolant filter
'10 3665RE Hickory edition, wetbolts, Firestone LTs, Trimetric Battery Monitor, 4x100w panels & Morningstar TS-45, still tweeking.

Nutinelse2do
Explorer
Explorer
Morning,

Was considering changing to a flat bed on our old truck to carry a scooter. While investigating found out that the actual flat bed that replaces the standard bed was 2 1/2 inches higher than the standard bed due to the rails that the bed sits on, which would have made my rig ride to high..

Something to keep in mind.
Living Our Dream
MTHRSHP - 2006 KSDP 3912
Cummins 350ISL...Spartan Chassis
ESC POD - 2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Zippy Scoot- 2018 Honda PCX 150 on an Overbilt Lift
Shredder at the Rainbow Bridge - You Will Always Be With Us

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep seen a lot of them. They look like they are pulling rather easily go for it for sure.

mpfireman
Explorer
Explorer
Have see a few on the road over the years, some have even built tool box features on the bed for that extra storage. Go for it.
1998.5 Dodge Ram Quad Cab Cummins
1998 Sunnybrook 27RKFS Fiver

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Easier than a standard bed, for sure.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman