Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on Lippert 3 Auto leveling system

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

I have a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th wheel. I has the Lippert 3.0 auto leveling system. My problem is that when I park the 5th wheel in my driveway I cannot lower the front end back so that I can hitch up. I was able to unhitch without any trouble but the king pin is about 6 inches or so above my hitch when I go to hitch up again. My driveway does slope from the house down towards the road.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried putting 1 foot high pads under the front jacks and that made it worse. This has happened three times causing me to put down a bunch of boards to back the truck on to meet the king pin.

I keep getting an error that the front legs cannot lower any further. But I was able to unhitch and raise the 5th wheel to level.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle
12 REPLIES 12

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
Super_Dave wrote:
laknox wrote:
Not sure which LCI system I have, but I tried using the hitch height feature on 2 occasions and neither time it worked properly; no way to rehitch without manually adjusting the legs. So, I just hitch manually. (Shrug) It levels properly and retracts with the push of a button. All I need it to do.

Lyle

When you have all jacks down how are you raising them before manually lifting the front?

Here's my basic process to hitch:

FW is level on all 4 jacks.
1) fully retract rear jacks via the menu
2) manually extend/retract front jacks to proper height to hitch
3) back into the hitch, latch hitch, use the menu to retract front jacks

Reverse to unhitch. The only other thing I do is to slightly raise the front jacks before tightening the JT Strongarms, then drop back down to put some compression on them. Maybe 1/4", or so.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
dpgllg wrote:
Hello,

I have a 2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th wheel. I has the Lippert 3.0 auto leveling system. My problem is that when I park the 5th wheel in my driveway I cannot lower the front end back so that I can hitch up. I was able to unhitch without any trouble but the king pin is about 6 inches or so above my hitch when I go to hitch up again. My driveway does slope from the house down towards the road.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried putting 1 foot high pads under the front jacks and that made it worse. This has happened three times causing me to put down a bunch of boards to back the truck on to meet the king pin.

I keep getting an error that the front legs cannot lower any further. But I was able to unhitch and raise the 5th wheel to level.

Your thoughts are appreciated!

Dave

I have the Ground COntrol 3.0, and have a pretty serious slope where I park our 5er. I have had the same thing happen to me. If you put it in Manual mode it should lower enough to hook back up. If it doesn't, it will be close, then you just need to see how much blocking you really need. Since I started using Manual mode, I have not had any issues though.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
My driveway slopes front to back a foot, so when I unhitch, I run the front main legs down at least a foot before lowering the inside of the leg.
That way when I push auto level, the front has plenty of room to lower to the stop point, and I use 4" blocks under the rear to keep from extending them so much.
The hitch height works great most of the time since the front is always higher when I start auto level.

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
laknox wrote:
Not sure which LCI system I have, but I tried using the hitch height feature on 2 occasions and neither time it worked properly; no way to rehitch without manually adjusting the legs. So, I just hitch manually. (Shrug) It levels properly and retracts with the push of a button. All I need it to do.

Lyle

When you have all jacks down how are you raising them before manually lifting the front?
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

laknox
Nomad
Nomad

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't be concerned about what the normal operation of Calibrate is. It appears that Lippert has suggested a workaround for a know software glitch. Give it a try.
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
OP Here,

I'll try and answer all of the questions raised

"Are you using the manual mode to raise the front jack's in order to lower the front of the trailer?"

"When going to hitch up are you pushing retract all, then hitch hight?"

What I have been doing is selecting retract then rear. After they are raised I then select retract and then the front. The front does retract but not far enough and I get that error message.

"There is a fault in the Lippert software for their Auto Leveling systems.
We've had it happen to our Hydraulic system, it will let the legs go down and level, but when you go to retract it will start that give an error that the angle is to great.
Talked to the Lippert Hydraulic expert and he told me to put the system into the Calibrate mode and I could retract the legs. So if your 3.0 Electric system has a Calibration mode you could try it."

According to what I have read online the calibration is to be used AFTER you have leveled the RV. It resets the auto level. It does not allow you to raise or lower any jacks.

"Once the trailer is raised to/& disconnected, the auto reconnect will not work if you use anything but the Auto Level. So if you lower/raise the front after disconnecting, you have to use the manual mode to get the height back to hook back up.
Once the truck is pulled away, hit Auto Level. Than it will return using Auto Reconnect."

I was not attempting to use the auto reconnect feature. I was just trying to retract the front jacks.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

WE-C-USA
Explorer
Explorer
Once the trailer is raised to/& disconnected, the auto reconnect will not work if you use anything but the Auto Level. So if you lower/raise the front after disconnecting, you have to use the manual mode to get the height back to hook back up.
Once the truck is pulled away, hit Auto Level. Than it will return using Auto Reconnect.
Frank & PJ
2022 2500HD GMC Duramax 4X4
2018 Grand Design-Refection 303RLS

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a fault in the Lippert software for their Auto Leveling systems.
We've had it happen to our Hydraulic system, it will let the legs go down and level, but when you go to retract it will start that give an error that the angle is to great.
Talked to the Lippert Hydraulic expert and he told me to put the system into the Calibrate mode and I could retract the legs. So if your 3.0 Electric system has a Calibration mode you could try it.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

garyp4951
Explorer III
Explorer III
When going to hitch up are you pushing retract all, then hitch height?

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
on my 2017 Reflection 27RL I just push the "Retract" button then push the "front" button..........and down she comes. I guess mine is the Lippert 3.0

CarnationSailor
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you using the manual mode to raise the front jack's in order to lower the front of the trailer?
2015 Crossroads Rushmore Springfield
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax