cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

question on XPS Ribs

4x4FF
Explorer
Explorer
Next year my wife and I intend to start full-timing. I plan on installing new tires on my 5th wheel at that time. As I read the posts on here I understand the value of good tires. Michelin XPS Ribs are highly recommended on here...but....as I look at their literature I am a little confused. The size I would need is a LT235/85R16. I currently have 7k axles on my rig and when weighed have right at 11,500 on the 5th wheel axles. As I load the coach with more stuff this will probably increase some. Based on Michelin data each tire (XPS Ribs) have a load rating of 3,042 lbs. per hub. This gives me 6,084 per axle or 12,168 total. If I put the ribs on I am 'almost' at my max rating. With that being said, I also understand the difference between LT and ST tires and know ST tires are 'Rated' higher. Am I missing something here or am I calculating this wrong??

Steve
'07 39' Pilgrim Open Road 5th Wheel
'18 F350 Platinum 6.7 Powerstroke
15 REPLIES 15

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
With that 5th wheel weight I would go with G-rated LT tires, not the E-rated. Just not enough carrying capacity IMO. That is, of course, if your wheels will handle the added pressure of 110 psi tires. If not, and you want to stay away from ST tires, you may have to look at different wheels and tires.

You say your 5th wheel weighs 11,500 lbs. on the two axles, which in an ideal world equals 5750 lbs. on each axle. However you may have less than that on one axle and more than that on another, perhaps 6300 lbs. on one axle and 5200 lbs. on the other axle. That would put you over your tire weight limit. Not an unlikely scenario.

I have a triple axle toyhauler and have a couple tires that have 1200 lbs. more than the other four. Not an issue as I have a lot of surplus carrying capacity.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"