cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Back bumper rack

Bighorns
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever built a rack to hold a fold up picnic table on the rear bumper of a fifth wheel.Table is the size of a standard picnic table except for it folds up flat. The weight of the table is 75 lbs.
2011 Duramax 3500HD Dually
2012 Keystone Cougar 330RBK
14 REPLIES 14

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure a local welding shop could build something and attach it to the frame rather than the bumper. I would take the FW and table to them for an estimate. They could build exactly what you want.

C_Schomer
Explorer
Explorer
I built a rack on the back of one of our 5ers for a 10' alum. pontoon boat so a rack for a 75 lb table should be easy. Heavy gauge unistrut was the best material for that job and I used 12" strut clamps around the pontoons. The 4" sq. pipe bumpers are history so I'd build out from the frame, probably with at least 2" square pipe 11 gauge. I think I'd build 2 upright posts with a trough or angle iron across the bottom for good uniform support of the table and figure out something to hold the table from bouncing off. Craig
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW CCLB 4wd, custom hauler bed.
2008 Sunnybrook Titan 30 RKFS Morryde and Disc brakes
WILL ROGERS NEVER MET JOE BIDEN!

Need-A-Vacation
Explorer
Explorer
What about a couple aluminum roll top tables that store in a bag like the fold up chairs do? We have a couple that we use for various things. Something like this table or this which is very similar to what we have. Bought both of ours from Sportsman's Guide.

Just a suggestion.

Good luck!
Bubba J- '13 Chevy Silverado 2500HD LT CCSB 4x4 6.0

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS Mods Reese DC HP

WDH Set Up. How a WDH Works. CAT Scale How To.

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
Interesting to me that the OP has a 2012 Cougar. Our 2011 Cougar came standard with a sliding rear rack that is just about the size of that table. I never use the darn thing and wish it wasn't there. But obviously it is something available. Maybe your dealer could retro-fit?
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

rugermark2
Explorer
Explorer
Go to a fab shop and tell them what you want, be specific about your requirements and needs. They should be able build what you want.

Dick_B wrote:
I've been a wet blanket before on this Forum and here we go again. Why would one want to `carry' a picnic table on an RV when there are picnic tables at most of the campgrounds; at least the private ones. How does one get a 75 lb. table up on a rack even if one could be designed? How often would such a table get used?

Not everyone camps the way you do.
2011 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins
2015 Cougar 29RLI

filrupmark
Explorer
Explorer
2004 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.0 Diesel, Bilstein 4600 Shocks, 16K B&W Patriot, Michelin M&S
2014 Augusta Flex AF34RS Trailair Tri Glide pinbox,
JT Strong Arms , Bridgestone R250'S, KYB Monotube Gas shocks
Finally a smooth ride !!!

tahoemc
Explorer
Explorer
bobx2 wrote:
avvidclif1 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:
I've been a wet blanket before on this Forum and here we go again. Why would one want to `carry' a picnic table on an RV when there are picnic tables at most of the campgrounds; at least the private ones. How does one get a 75 lb. table up on a rack even if one could be designed? How often would such a table get used?

It's easy to get on the rack, just pick it up. He said 75 lbs not 750. I have one and they are nice.

I would have a good welder add a receiver hitch to the back of the 5er and then build a rack for the table. The receiver hitch could be used for other things if not carrying the table.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I agree with getting a hitch put on to carry the rack. I haven't seen a bumper that I would be comfortable with anything more than a spare tire on it.
Why does everyone assume that everyone else camps in camp grounds? Myself, I hate camp grounds, and only stay in them when there is no other choice.

Yup, city slicker;). For those who of us who boondock or remote camp, an outside table is wonderful. And 75lbs is not that heavy - if the winds in WY are anything like the winds around here, you need something with some weight to it.

Agree with the others, forego the bumper attachment and have something welded to the frame. A folding cargo rack may be a good option for carrying other things besides folding tables. We have one and its rated for 250lbs, but I don't think I would ever go that heavy. We usually use it mainly for up to 3 bicycles. And if you don't need/use it, it folds up out of the way and shortens your length by a couple of feet.
2004 Ram 3500 Quad 4x4 Cummins w/auto 4.10 Reese w/ slider
2012 Dutchmen Denali 262rlx w/Moutain Package

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Not everybody goes to campgrounds with full hook ups i myself would rather go to the bookdocks so i would need the table and 75lbs is not that much to lift but if it was me i would be looking for a lighter table and as far as making the carrier for it i would weld a trailer hitch right to the frame and built a rack to fit the table.
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

Steakman
Explorer
Explorer
The probelm with the back "bumper" is that is for all intents and purposes soley a poop hose container. Useless for all intents and purposes other than that and carrying your spare. Way too thin to consider adding some steel tubing to make a usefull area for extra storage.

My opinion of course...but have been in the welding industry for a fair amount of time...
Anyway...this is what I did - light and strong.

I realize that not all will be able to do this on their own..but not too hard if you have a welding machine and know how to use it...in either Alum or light wall steel HSS tubing.

Rgds,

Stk
M'self and the Bride...of 32 yrs

'06 GMC DMax CCSB 594,545 km

(368,890 miles)

2003 Citation 26RKS

Racine96
Explorer
Explorer
Mine came with a factory installed large bike rack that can probably hold a picnic table. So it can be done, but needs to be done well.

bobx2
Explorer
Explorer
avvidclif1 wrote:
Dick_B wrote:

It's easy to get on the rack, just pick it up. He said 75 lbs not 750. I have one and they are nice.

I would have a good welder add a receiver hitch to the back of the 5er and then build a rack for the table. The receiver hitch could be used for other things if not carrying the table.

Haha, I was thinking the same thing. I agree with getting a hitch put on to carry the rack. I haven't seen a bumper that I would be comfortable with anything more than a spare tire on it.
Why does everyone assume that everyone else camps in camp grounds? Myself, I hate camp grounds, and only stay in them when there is no other choice.
Becky, Bob, Taylie and Bode
2009 Silverado Duramax/Allison
2014 Heartland Sundance XLT 245RL
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Mine
2015 Polaris Sportsman 570 Touring - Wifes

avvidclif1
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:

Clif & Millie
2009 Ford F350 SRW CC Lariat 6.4 Diesel
2015 Heartland Cyclone HD CY3418 Toy Hauler

Bighorns
Explorer
Explorer
FYI, 99.9% of the time we camp in nonestabliished / dispersed camping areas in the mountain area near our home. The table folds up into a flat piece approximately 6 ft long x 4 ft wide x 2 inches thick and it unfolds in seconds. It is made by lifetime if you would like to look at them. We eat most meals outside and the table would be very convenient instead of having to hold your plate in your lap. I thought someone may have dealt with this before..
2011 Duramax 3500HD Dually
2012 Keystone Cougar 330RBK

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)