cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"waves" on the rear panel

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
After 10 years the glue gave up and the 5w has some "waves" mainly in the rear.
Can this be fixed?
Thanks
F-350 ,2006,XLT,SD,LB,EC,6.0LT,Auto,SRW.
5W Cruiser 2006 CF29CK Crossroad
RVing 4-5 months every summer since 2002.
P.A,Escapee club memeber,TomTom Go 5606
Website
14 REPLIES 14

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
I am consulting with an RV service department in Oregon.
Will be happy to post his recommendations.
Thank you all.
Website

soren
Explorer
Explorer
bpounds wrote:
If it really bothered you, I'm sure it could be pulled down with some screws. Do it right, and use the right screws, and it would look like it was original.

I wouldn't recommend this. Assuming you could find a suitable substrate to hold the fasteners, as soon as the ambient temp. is 15-20* higher than when all the drilling and screw installation was done, the fiberglass sheet will buckle, and "inflate" between screws, and end up looking like some sort of failed upholstery project. The next issue would be what exactly would those screws anchor to? A nicely laid out pattern of surface fasteners will have exactly nothing in common with the surprisingly small amount of framing located in the rear wall. The screws will be hitting nothing but foam and very thin Luan. Overall, this would do nothing but look awful and create a few dozen more places to leak.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
years back I saw a motorhome that had 5-8 or so metal straps screwed to the side about a foot apart that evidently were to pull in a delaminated outer skin. IMHO ripples would look better.
bumpy

bpounds
Nomad
Nomad
If it really bothered you, I'm sure it could be pulled down with some screws. Do it right, and use the right screws, and it would look like it was original.
2006 F250 Diesel
2011 Keystone Cougar 278RKSWE Fiver

Durhamcutter
Explorer
Explorer
No there is no fix to this problem,the rear pane is not attached like the sides are they float and flex as the trailer goes down the road ,heat and cold will cause them to look as if they have buckled, have had three RV's that have done this ,kept the last one 8 years and no problems. happy camping

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
WTP-GC wrote:
danoren wrote:
Thank you all BUT no one answered the question: Can it be fixed?

I think its been answered by way of description of the cause. All things considered, do you actually have a problem that needs to be fixed?

Yes I would like to fix the "waves" and still looking for the right place to do it.
Any suggestions?
Website

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
danoren wrote:

I think its been answered by way of description of the cause. All things considered, do you actually have a problem that needs to be fixed?
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
Website

danoren
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
is it delamination from water or just glue giving up as you say?
bumpy

Only glue
Website

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
Out for recent 6 campers in our family. R-Vision ultra light Trail Sport, Keystone Ultralight Zeppelin Trailer, Starcraft ultralight hybrid Travelstar, Coachmen Chaparral 340QBH 5w, Newmar 5w, and forest river pup.
Worst Quality for glue, delamination, and overall poor quality was evident the the Coachmen Chaparral 5th, Keystone Zep, and forest river pup.
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
OP, I see your RV is an '06. I had an '05 Cougar and the rear panel had that look as well. Keystone told me that the rear panels are not glued but rather held in place with window trim and surround trim. Basically they are "floating". What I was told is that sun and cold over the year causes the rear panel to expand and contract and after a few years, the panel will warp to a certain extent and the waviness you see is the result. Possibly yours is the same?

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen brand new 5ers on the lot with a wavy back panel. A salesman once told me that's common because the back of the unit lacks any kind of significant framework.
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF

Moved from Forum Technical Support

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
is it delamination from water or just glue giving up as you say?
bumpy