cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ram 2500/Cummins

KHJPHOTO
Explorer
Explorer
So being new to the fifth wheel community - haven’t bought one yet because I am concerned that my new truck, 2022 2500 4x4 short bed may not tow it safely. Although factory prepped for the hitch; research is showing that the gross weight of 10,000 pounds would be maxed out.

Considering the purchase of a toy hauler . What concerns me is the weight on the bed.
Truck will tow 20,000 pounds. Units looking at are the RAPTOR 351 or a Logan Toy Hauler.

Thank you for your input.
32 REPLIES 32

KHJPHOTO
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. Pin weight is 3300 lbs, max rated for the PU is 4,000; so should be fine.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Yes, almost all pin wt will go on the rear axle. Easy thing to do, is get separate axle wts of your truck ready to camp, full fuel, people, and gear. How much does rear axle weigh? Let's say 3,200, plus 200 more for hitch 3400. Look at your RAWR/tire rating (6-6.5K)? Subtract the 3,400 from your axle/tire rating, and this is the amount you can still put on rear axle.

Jerry

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
The important thing to worry about is your “pin weight” That is the weight that is put inside your bed. That effects your suspension, front and rear and things like steering! In your RAM 2500, if it is “heavy Duty”, you should have the same transmission, breaks, differential as a 3500. So the next thing to check is your tires, and their rated capacity. While things like “helper springs” air bags and other “fixes” can solve an issue, you need to look at the truck as a whole to ensure your towing safely.