cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re-wallpapering

Nancy_W
Explorer
Explorer
When we bought our used trailer the factory wallpaper was literally falling off the walls. It was very easy to remove. When we pulled off the old paper it left a slightly sticky residue. We are now ready to put up the new wallpaper. My question is, can we paper over that (impossible to remove) sticky residue? Obviously, we don't want the paper to not adhere properly. Has anyone successfully papered over that sticky film? Any ideas how to remove it, short of sanding. That is SO messy. I really don't want to have to do that.
4 REPLIES 4

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a used trailer with a peel and stick border strip that was failing. I peeled it off and it left the sticky residue. I installed some new border vinyl paper using vinyl to vinyl wallpaper paste right on top of the sticky stuff. It worked perfectly, easy to position with the new paste. Held up fine for 5 years when I sold the trailer.

bigdon68
Explorer
Explorer
Once you get it cleaned off and are ready to put up the paper -- I would use a wallpaper adhesive to put up the new paper. The wallpaper paste on the back of the wallpaper will probably not last over time.
I have done this in the past and it has worked well with the wallpaper I have put up.

bigdon68
2017 F450 Lariat Shadow Black / Magnetic, LB, 6.7, Chrome Pkg. TS3 Air Hitch, Retrax, 55 Gal.Aux.Tank
2017 DRV Mobile Suites,induction cooktop, solar, f/b paint, MorRyde IS, 17.5" Tires,residential frig, 3" riser, MorRyde Steps

MY PICTURES

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
When hubby removed all the fading decals from our 5'er, he used "Goof Off" and then used "Murphey's Oil Soap" that worked for the outside it should work for the inside as well. Try a hidden space to see if it works. Good Luck and Happy Camping !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

Campinfan
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know they make a product that you can put under wallpaper if your walls are not smooth. It is sort of a thick (compared to wallpaper) product which basically acts as an underlayment. That might work for you. I have never used it but I have seen it.