cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Removable 5th wheel hitch?

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?
46 REPLIES 46

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
cummins2014 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hensley's TrailerSaver BD3 removes easily and you can purchase a sliding base for it. We had the sliding base, but never used it.

What does the whole assembly weigh?

It comes apart for removal so the weight is manageable.

They all come apart , and are manageable. I know that , did it for about 9 years away from home when I needed the hitch out of the truck . Finally solved that problem with the Andersen, and have never looked back .

Good for you.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ReneeG wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:
Hensley's TrailerSaver BD3 removes easily and you can purchase a sliding base for it. We had the sliding base, but never used it.

They all come apart , and are manageable. I know that , did it for about 9 years away from home when I needed the hitch out of the truck . Finally solved that problem with the Andersen, and have never looked back .

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
ReneeG wrote:

2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
To tell you something the guy I have mentioned before that towed his 18k Mobile Suites with the Andersen aluminum in his RAM DRW admitted he had bed deflection. I happened to see him a week ago and noticed he now has the GEN-Y GooseNeck pin box. He says he loves it!

FYI he is an ANDERSEN Dealer.

He also mentioned he loves not having to remove a hitch, even at 35#.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
fowlthing wrote:
Anderson hitch weighs 35 pounds and works great super easy to remove.

love mine... my brother has towed a fifth wheel to Alaska and back with the Anderson hitch

Same here have got many miles towing with the Andersen. I recommended one to a friend he has the aluminum version . No bed defection , no folding . He too has towed to Alaska , and back . Said the roads were a bit rough , but no issues . Thatโ€™s a pretty good test for truck , trailer, and most importantly the hitch .

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Get a solid sliding hitch, auto or manual. Forget the lightweight folding-bed deflection model and do as suggested and use pin box to lift the hitch right out of the bed of the truck.

No matter how civil the thread remains, we get this :h

fowlthing
Explorer
Explorer
Anderson hitch weighs 35 pounds and works great super easy to remove.

love mine... my brother has towed a fifth wheel to Alaska and back with the Anderson hitch
2017 Ford 350 SRW
Grand Design Solitude 375RES
may switch to a Ram

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
ReneeG wrote:

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
I never understood if the OP had the towing prep package...pucks and a ball. I've got a PullRite 2600 single point pulling a 18,000# 5th. No issues. I would recommend it but I think the Andersen may have a model with a rearward offset that could work better with a shortbed.
Not sure if a Reese Goosebox would work on a short bed.
I'm thinking about going to the GEN-Y pinbox myself.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Get a solid sliding hitch, auto or manual. Forget the lightweight folding-bed deflection model and do as suggested and use pin box to lift the hitch right out of the bed of the truck.

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Mike, so them nothing is left in the truck bed? We need it empty for camper use.
Thanks!

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have the Pullrite Superglide. If I need to remove it, I lift it up locked to kingpin, and then set it down on a table with wheels. The table I use can raise or lower, so I can level the trailer, and then raise the table to take the weight off the pin if I want. I can cover it up and leave it outside, or wheel it into my garage.

Takes about 10 mins and no exertion.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Dtank wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
Sande wrote:
We have a 3500 RAM drw shortbed which we currently use with our artic fox 811 camper.
We are thinking about getting a 5th wheel and also keeping the camper for some trips.
Is there a sliding 5th wheel hitch that can easily be taken off the truck in order to slide in the camper?

A sliding hitch , no not a *chance* unless you have some sort of hoist , or taking it apart . Turnover ball , and the Andersen hitch . Clean bed when removed . Also easily removed by one person .

Depending on the brand, model and *weight* of the slider, you may need "some sort of hoist".

I have a Pullrite SuperGlide - it's heavy! However I *easily* remove it from the bed of my SB pickup with what I like to call the "one finger" lift.
I use a HF electric hoist. One finger to push the up/down button. Lift it out of the bed, lower unto a furniture dolly, roll it into the garage. Obviously, the reverse to place back in the bed.
In -or out- takes all of 5 minutes.

BTW - The HF hoist has also been invaluable for other tasks as well.

~

I got another one of those HF hoist in the ceiling of my garage for that exact purpose if you need another . I really don't have much use for it these days. :B I may find a use for it , most of my projects certainly don't require an 800 lb hoist.

I agree its personal preference . I am assuming you read the OP's question. He got an honest answer from me. I have been thru all this, the hoist the heavy sliding hitch etc etc. To do it right , the hoist itself is a task . I have pretty high ceiling in the garage ,did some bracing in the attic, then there is the mounting of the hoist. Then there is the question , do you run an extension cord to it ,or can you access some where to hard wire. So lets not sugar coat the hoist here . Its not just a matter of running down to your local Harbor Freight buying a hoist ,and magically you are in business . 5 minutes job ,ya I guess never timed it . Lets not forget some sort of dolly or stand. Or do you just leave it under the hoist . Then rolling it some where in the garage to get it out of the way .

Partially right ,yes .I didn't need a hoist ,just take them apart ,thats what I did for awhile ,that grew a bit tiresome , or getting someone to help take it out in one piece.

I don't care what ones choice is getting a hitch. Often wrong, I suppose in your eyes, with my choice of hitches I am .I see you do have the Superglide ,and to be honest I nearly bought one . My friend ,and neighbor had one. He didn't have a hoist, so I got the pleasure of helping him with his ๐Ÿ™‚ That was always fun . :R I honestly entertained the thought of keeping his Superglide in my garage ,and using my hoist. I was pretty happy when he got tired of the hitching issues of the Superglide , he had an angle getting his fifth wheel parked ,and it was difficult to get the truck straight enough for the Superglide to release . Yes that should be mentioned when considering a PullRite Superglide ,they don't release if at too much of an angle.

To sum this up, my question to you is, how many miles have you towed with a rail mount Andersen . I have towed thousands now at this point ,along with thousands of miles with a heavy somewhat noisy manual sliding hitch, that required a hoist , or getting help ,or taking apart . Been there done that ,don't need too now. To call someone wrong ,would require having the hitch in question ,and then explaining why its wrong to have said hitch .

Sande
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! Another option to look into. I knew we would get great feedback.