cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roof Damage - Need Repair

crgcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Returned home from a campground and looks like I swiped a tree. The edge of the roof is peeled back/damaged about half the length of the camper. I think it was the narrow entrance/exit of the campground. Relatively new to the 5th wheel but frustrated with the mistake.

Should I consider RV Armor for the repair since they come to you?
Can I use EternaBond for temporary fix? We have another trip planned in 2 weeks.
14 REPLIES 14

There is a very good repair shop in Odenton behind the bowling alley. Yo want his number PM me. Get it fixed right.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have nailed rips with brass carpet tacks and then covered tape and/or dicor self leveling . It has only lasted 7 years so far .

rvrev2
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with going through your insurance company. IF you do, there is a chance that if you take the rv to an RVRoof.com location, they could replace your roof for what the insurance company gives you.
They spray on a thick, flexible, monolithic roof coating. There would no longer be a need to climb up on the roof to check the caulking multiple times per year. There is no caulking and no maintenance. They offer a no-leak guarantee, and a lifetime, transferable warranty.
I've had half a tree land on my RVRoof.com coated roof, and no damage. It's tough stuff.
If you can't afford that, then I would recommend eternabond tape as a patch.
2002 NuWa HitchHiker II 31 FKTG
2005 Chevy 2500 HD, crew cab, long bed
B&W Companion Fifth Wheel Hitch

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Much as you hate to, you bought insurance for a reason. You might get an estimate to have it fixed right, and then consider if you put in a claim for $3,500 with your insurance agent - will you still be friends? But it is the right way to fix your sidewall / roof.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

crgcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I appreciate all of the advice. I have a feeling I’ll be on these forums often as we use the RV more and more.

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Here is where I purchase my Eternabond tape. I have used it for many years and it is the best there is. I did every seam and penetration on my trailers roof about 12 or 13 years ago and it is still holding up like new.

For your application, I think I would get a 50 ft roll of 4 or 6 inch wide tape. Clean the area well, glue down or cut off the loose stuff, and then put the Eternabond down starting from towards the center of the roof and work your way to and around the edge down to the gutter.
When done, go ever the exposed edges with Dicor self leveling sealant and you should be good to go.
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

shadows4
Explorer III
Explorer III
Search Ebay for your Eternabond tape. Don't mess with the Flexseal. The Eternabond tape in my opinion is the best there is. If you have insurance you might consider filing a claim. I would bet they would replace the whole roof. Good luck.
2016 4X4 F350,CC,SB,Lariat,6.7L diesel,
2015 Coachmen Chapparal 324 TSRK
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
No. Eternabond will last 10 years or longer. There are many testimonials on this site of how good it is and how long it lasts. I've read stories about Flex Seal working for a year or two but then failing. If you're keeping the RV and enjoy using it, Fix it once and be done.

And don't beat yourself up over the mistake. I've yet to meet an RVer that hasn't done something. It's a right of passage 🙂
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

crgcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. It’s a 2015 that we inherited from my father-in-law 2 years ago. He only used it a couple of times and we are just now starting to use it, maybe 3 times a year the last 2 years for long weekend trips. In my (rookie) opinion, it’s relatively new because the low usage. Is FlexSeal tape comparable to EternaBond?

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know what year your RV is or your financial place in life but if it were me, I would get some contact cement and glue those pieces back down as flat as I could get them. Then go over each area with Dicor self leveling lap sealant to cover the seams. When that's all dry, i would then go over all of it with Eternabond tape and call it good. The alternative is going to be expensive. I just read online that the average cost to replace a roof is $300 per linear foot.

If you have areas where the roof material has completely ripped off, Use the widest Eternabond tape you can buy.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Try

http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

crgcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Had trouble attaching a pic to the post so I updated my profile with a pic of the roof.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
Hard to say without pictures but Eternabond might be able to be your permanant fix. That stuff works great in a many applications and lasts for many years.

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
It would be a big help if you could provide a picture. Also what type of roof etc.

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle