cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Screen Room

KiwiOnTheLoose
Explorer
Explorer
I know most of you guys out there are going to think that we are totally off our rockers. You're probably right but we're going to do this anyway. We are going to spend the winter in Ontario living in our 5th wheel. I have read, researched and read some more. The only thing left that I think we are going to need is a screen room/porch to block the wind/rain/snow from coming right in our door when it's opened. I found a winter porch on a web site, Isabella Winter, but it is made for a caravan and not a 5th wheel so it is too short. I don't want to use/make any kind of wooden or heavy floor for it as I want it to be reasonably portable. Pop up, quick pack up. Do any of you seasoned full timers/RVers know of anything that exists or are we going to have to make something with PVC piping, skirting fabric etc? Thanks so much for your help and suggestions.

Kiwi On The Loose
6 REPLIES 6

KiwiOnTheLoose
Explorer
Explorer
Larryzv7 wrote:

I was hoping to find something like this...
Isabella Winter
It does not come in a version for a 5er so I have been considering the model that you posted the link to.

KiwiOnTheLoose
Explorer
Explorer
Greydennyhawk wrote:
Everything underneath is going to freeze! That is, hot water heater, cold water lines, grey tank, poop... Pretty much everything including..........you!
Stay warm, move to Buffalo!
LOL

We live just an hour from Buffalo so that's not going to make a difference. We have insulated sub flooring to put up along with the skirt. The underneath of our unit is going to be heated enough to prevent freezing of anything under there. Our fresh water line will be insulated and heated. Our grey and black tank lines will be insulated but not heated. The tanks are kept closed until they are full even though we are hooked up. Our inside heating is gas along with ceramic heaters....basically we are doing everything that another family has done and they have been full timers for 10 years. It will be a huge adjustment and if we could head south for the winter we probably would 🙂

Larryzv7
Explorer
Explorer
I have a “Carefree Vacation Screen Room"
http://www.dyersonline.com/carefree-16-17-vacation-r-screen-room.html
And if you put rope lines at each corner of the awning down pegged into the ground, mine stood up in 40 mph winds, also use “Awning DE-Flappers” which will keep your awning from bouncing in the wind.
https://www.amazon.com/Awning--Flapper-Camco-Camping-Equipment/dp/B01IB9CM8O/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=...

Wrap your pipes with insulation, especially those which are exposed to the outside and put some antifreeze in your black and gray tanks. Carry bottled water inside the unit for drinking and washing dishes, and put a bucket of water near your toilet for flushing it. I have done snow camping with my 5th wheel in Colorado and it is a challenge and also a great experience. You’ll just have to sweep off your awning and the top of your RV after each snowfall.
2012 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Ecoboost
2012 Heartland Prowler 5th Wheel

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just wondering? Are you planning on attaching that screen room to your 5er awning? Reason I ask, is because, you'll need to leave the awning extended. Now, I may be wrong with my geography, but... doesn't it snow in Ontario? What's going to happen to that awning when you get a foot or two of snow on top of it? If awnings collapse when they get caught in a little rain, what would happen with a foot of snow? I'm just asking? Have you REALLY thought everything through?

Coach-man
Explorer
Explorer
Last Febraury we spent a Month in PA. It got down into the low teens, and we had 15" of snow! First it did not snow constantly, so the porch for me is questionable! Second, everything did not freeze, all the tanks have heaters, so that is not a problem. You will need to get a special hose equipped with a heater so that does not freeze! Otherwise you should be fine. The furnace uses a lot of Propane, we have two tanks, 30 lbs. and they lasted 5 days at a time, reverse cycle heat is worthless if under 40. Some quartz heaters come in handy to keep the chill off! Enjoy your stay.

Greydennyhawk
Explorer
Explorer
Everything underneath is going to freeze! That is, hot water heater, cold water lines, grey tank, poop... Pretty much everything including..........you!
Stay warm, move to Buffalo!
LOL
Denny, Rosie and Josie the Beagle
2016 Allegro 36 LA
2016 Mazda 3