cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Second AC options on Puma Unleashed 356QLB

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, I have a few questions about adding a second AC on our 356QLB. We live in west TX and camp in the summers here, so we have decided that a second AC is needed.

1. Our camper is a 30A service, which probably won't run a second AC. Should we look at converting the camper to a 50A service, or just run the second AC off of a separate cord to the 15A plug when we are at campgrounds? I am good at electrical work and have no doubt I could do the wiring, but what parts would I need to go 50A and about what would they cost?

2. Location of the second AC? The bedroom vent would be the easiest place to install and my first choice, but roof there is awfully sloped. I looked up the mounting instructions for a Dometic AC and they specify no more than a 10 degree angle. My roof angle is 14 degrees over the bedroom. The guys at my local RV dealer say that it will be fine, but has anyone actually done it?
Second location option is in the garage. I do have the electric beds, which go up to close to the ceiling. Looks like with the AC in the garage, the only way to use the second AC would be when the beds are dropped. This would help us sometimes, but not when we have toys in the garage which won't let us drop the beds down.

Who has added second AC's to their rigs and how/where did you mount them?
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD CCSB Duramax/Allison
2012 Puma Unleashed 356QLB FWTH
4 REPLIES 4

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
CJW8 wrote:
I think the garage would be a poor location. Manufacturers seldom install one there. How about modifying the angle with a wedge to level up the vent hole in the bedroom?

I had actually asked about doing that in a different forum and got no responses. Has anyone been able to do that and successfully get it watertight and closer to level? I would obviously be concerned with sealing it, since it is right on the front of the unit and rain while driving would be pushed against the wedged base.

CJW8
Explorer
Explorer
I think the garage would be a poor location. Manufacturers seldom install one there. How about modifying the angle with a wedge to level up the vent hole in the bedroom?

I just spent about a year living in a new TH in Eastern New Mexico. Carlsbad area. Two AC were a life saver. I left them running all the time. I found if I turn them off during the day while I was at work, it would take all evening to cool the place down while I sweated the whole time. Once I got it cool, I could keep it cool.
2003 Forest River Sierra M-37SP Toy Hauler- Traded in
2015 Keystone Raptor 332TS 5th wheel toy Hauler (sold)
2004 Winnebago Vectra. 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee toad

rmoore0852
Explorer
Explorer
I have a split AC system like that in one of the rooms of our house. Have no idea where I would mount the outside part of the unit or how I would be able to run the coolant lines into the camper without it looking tacky. Don't think i'm interested in that option at all.

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
How about one of the split air conditioning systems like for home use. I understand some of the manufacturers are beginning to use them in newer model RVs.

Here's an example---- http://www.mitsubishicomfort.com/products