cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should fresh water tank be patched or replaced?

Likes_to_tow
Nomad
Nomad
Getting ready for a big fight with dealer or factory! We took delivery of our new Grand Design Reflection 5th wheel and the next day started to prepare for our first trip. I usually like to travel with abbout 10 gallons of water in fresh tank. Immediately I noticed water dripping from under the trailer! Uppon closer inspection I realized the hose connection nipple on the bottom side of the tank was leaking. Apparently they install this outlet and did a poor job!! My dealer said to bring it in when I return from my trip and they would contact Grand Design to see what the "proper repair" would be. In other words they cannot authorize tank replacement with out Grand Design's blessing.

Now here is my issue. From what I have read, tanks made from Low Density Polyethylene or LDPE which is the milky white plastic reject any repair from Topical Adhesives or otherwise known as Epoxies. Any repair like this is considered temporary since they will not permanently bond to LDPE. This is a 2017 unit. I do not want a temporary fix! I do not want to be on the road and suddenly cannot carry fresh water two years from now. I'm prepared to slug it out with them over this issue. Am I being overly cautious?

Has anyone experienced issues with repair of LDPE tanks?? Appreciate any opinions.
15 REPLIES 15

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
new rig never used, you get a new tank, BUT it could be just a fitting loose ,it will have to be checked out to find the real cause of leak. I too would not be happy but things happen.