cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Similar setup

Bolo4u
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are taking delivery of a 2016 Cougar 333MKS. This will be our first 5er, and an upgrade from a 2012 Trail-Sport 27' bunkhouse TT.

Current TV is a 2015 Ram 2500 CTD/auto, CC, 4x4, SB, with factory 5th wheel pucks, integrated brake controller, factory engine brake. I weighed it at a local scale last week and with full fuel and just me (no other cargo or passengers) I was at 5020 front axle 3200 rear, total 8220. Passengers would add another 250-300 range total.

The hitch the dealer sold me (based on their experience with outfitting the Ram trucks) is a Demco 18k autoslider (according to them it has a lower profile than the Pullrite). Based on my research, I'm guessing the hitch and Demco picture frame adapter will be another ~300 pounds, putting my rear axle at 3600-3700 (with passengers, fuel, hitch dispersed through the truck) and my axle is rated for 6500.

The 5er is ~12350 (20% pin weight 2470) With my axle rating at 6500 - 3550 leaves ~2800 axle weight. So assuming I load the trailer to the full GVWR (this likely wont happen) I have ~400 pounds wiggle room. I'm going to weigh it at a scale when I pick it up, yes I know it will be dry, but it will give me a good ballpark of my weights. I spent several weeks researching weight limits and other factors and while I feel fairly comfortable with the current setup I know its not ideal. We will likely upgrade the TV in the next two-three years, if not sooner.

I'm not looking to start another debate, nor seek anyone's blessing or scorn, but rather just looking for real life experiences from those with similar setups. How did the setup tow, what things should I be aware of, other issues you may have encountered. I know these are generic newbie questions, but any info from those who have experience will certainly help.
7 REPLIES 7

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
MFL wrote:
Well it seems like your rig is going to work out great! The FW towing experience is usually a good one. You have the tree thing figured out, as you always have to be watching for clearance.

The dealer should have driven the 90 miles (sent a flunky) with your power cord. The batteries will need charging, not to mention the inconvenience for you. If your batteries get down to 12.2, before your cord shows up, I'd put a charger on them.

Hope you enjoy the new FW,
Jerry

I agree 100%, this was a job for the FNG to deliver to you directly, even if it meant after-hours for the employee. NO excuse, especially for a newb customer. One reason I like my non-removable shore cord, BTW. ๐Ÿ™‚ IMO, you should put the charger on the batteries, no matter what. Got to keep them up, or risk damaging them.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Well it seems like your rig is going to work out great! The FW towing experience is usually a good one. You have the tree thing figured out, as you always have to be watching for clearance.

The dealer should have driven the 90 miles (sent a flunky) with your power cord. The batteries will need charging, not to mention the inconvenience for you. If your batteries get down to 12.2, before your cord shows up, I'd put a charger on them.

Hope you enjoy the new FW,
Jerry

Bolo4u
Explorer
Explorer
Update:

Well, today I picked up our 2016 333MKS from the dealer. On the way down I weighed my truck at a CAT scales; full fluids and two passengers (myself and my dad), no hitch, no trailer.

Front 5140
Rear 3260
Total 8400

About a week prior, I had weighed my truck at a different (non-CAT) scale and with full fluids, and just myself (no hitch) my weight was:

Front 5020
Rear 3200
Total 8220

A difference of about 180 pounds (my passenger on the second weight)

We spent about 3 hours at the dealer, did the walk through, found a couple minor issues, waited for them to install the hitch, hooked up, took a test drive, signed a few pieces of paper and left. The truck (stock rear suspension) only dropped a couple of inches with the trailer connected and off jacks.

This is my first 5er, and while I was apprehensive due to my concerns of weights and such, the tow home was relatively uneventful. I didn't feel any chucking or anything to cause me concern. I stopped at the same CAT scales (as earlier in the AM) to get my weights with the trailer.

I topped off the diesel (but not DEF) and still had a passenger. with the trailer (dry, except the dealer installed two batteries, and filled both the 7 gallon LPG tanks.) and hitch, these were my weights.

Front 5180
Rear 5540
Trailer 8720
Total 19440

Used on my math, the hitch and pin added ~2280. Figuring the hitch setup is about 300, puts my dry hitch in the 1980 range. That puts the trailer about 10740.

I increased my integrated trailer brake gain and used the factory engine brake.

All-in-all, it felt steady, didn't feel like the truck was struggling or lugging and stopping and handling felt comfortable. Granted this was only about a 90 mile trip, but gave me a good start.

However... I had to trim several trees along my driveway to allow for clearance.

I set it up on my driveway and opened everything up, opened the windows to air it out and show some family. During this time idiscovered the worker bees at the dealer FORGOT TO PUT THE SHORE POWER CORD back in the unit, so I have NO WAY to power the unit for several days.

I called the dealer and they had the cord and will be shipping it to me. Fortunately I won't need it for a about a week. Needless to say, had I been taking it camping and arrived at dusk and discovered I was without power... :M:M

Njmurvin
Explorer
Explorer
My trailer is a similar weight (although much shorter) to yours. My truck is an older 3500 with similar towing capacities to yours. My SuperGlide has to weigh in close to your proposed hitch. Mine rides level with minimal porpoising. But, I think a set of Bilsteins are in my future. Regarding things to be aware of, the newer RAM 4x4s are really high. Watch for "nose high" with the trailer hooked up and make sure you have at least 6" of clearance between your trailer and the bed rails. You're going to be glad you have the engine brake on downhills. I had to add it to mine and I love it.
2020 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax 4x4 Crew Cab Standard box

2011 Arctic Fox 27.5L

TakingThe5th
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind that the 60 gal fresh water tank is in the rear, well behind the axles, so a full load would not adversely affect your pin weight. That might help your rear axle calculations a little bit.

I tow with an F350 with stock braking and wouldn't want anything less in braking power. Some drivers have put those brakes to the test for me on several occasions. The 333MKS brakes are OK (typical) but maybe a disk brake upgrade might be useful.
TakingThe5th - Chicago, Western Suburbs
'05 Ford F350 Crew 6.0 DRW Bulletproofed. Pullrite Super 5th 18K 2100 hitch.
'13 Keystone Cougar 333MKS, Maxxfan 7500, Progressive EMS-HW50C, Grey Water System.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
My fiver is lighter than that but has no issues at all and the truck was better than level with no help. I did add Timbrens because the ride felt a little softer than I liked with the trailer, and I prefer it now - nice and firm and it handles highway bumps very well. I don' think you'll have any issues at all, and frankly I don't think you're close to pushing it with that setup.

I'd take it out for a test tow before you add anything to the suspension because I don't think you'll actually need anything supplemental. Then if you're happy with it, save yourself some money. If you decide you'd like to add air or Timbrens or whatever later, make that decision after you've tried it out first.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

cmeade
Explorer
Explorer
Probably no help to you but we have a 2010 Ram 3500 CTD 4x4 megacab and tow a 39' Keystone Alpine (dry 12.5 k loaded 13.5) and our pin is 2680. Even with one ton springs I added air bags to level the rig and Bilstein 4600 shocks to counter the porpoising ( chucking) on the interstates and the ride is now great. BTW have B&W companion non slider for over 10k miles towing.