cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slight smell where the LP Gas cylinders are located normal?

sgolembiewski09
Explorer
Explorer
My fifth wheel is parked right now. When I close the tank valves there is no smell, but when I open them there is a slight propane smell. It is present all the time and not overwhelming. I read about pressure relief valves... any thoughts on the topic? Do most people with 5th wheels experience a constant "slight-smell"?
23 REPLIES 23

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
After experiencing the smell of propane intermittently for several months and soaping every connection and regulator I finally found my leak. On top of the tank where the valve threads into the tank I got slight bubbles with a soapy solution. Very slight but of course it does not take much of a leak to smell propane. I took the tank to a company who sells propane and they were authorized to replace the valve with a new one. Apparently the threads on the valve had been damaged somewhat and this prevented it from sealing good. You could actually see damage to the threads. Now I have no more leaks!!

Likes_to_tow
Explorer II
Explorer II
djousma wrote:
Not normal, however Propane gas is heavier than air, and is why, I assume that the "floor" of my LP tank compartments are open mesh to let any excess gas escape. I dont know if all enclosed LP compartments are made that way, but I'd almost guess its a requirement for this very reason.

Yes it is and also it's required that no locks are on the doors of the LP tanks so anyone can open and turn off the propane in an emergency

MikeRP
Explorer
Explorer
Folks::

Never ignore the smell of propane under any conditions. Someone noticed a leak on Rockwood Roo years ago. If he hadnโ€™t said anything, it may have killed me and my family. I got where I close the tanks every night before bed.

Also had another incident that a newly replaced alarm in the camper caught a valve on the stove that was hit by my son that was just ever so leaking while we were sleeping. Super dangerous.

You are doing the right stuff, keep at it till you get it fixed.

Peace.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
Check the pig tails I have replaced two sets in 2.5 years, the rubber drys and cracks. The last ones I had made at a propane dealer. They had rolls of hose and boxes of fittings.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm going to disagree with the masses on this one. There is a vent on the underside of the switch and it's not uncommon to get some smells from that. If you can't find anything from a soap test and your tanks aren't going empty sitting with the valves open for prolonged periods I wouldn't worry about it.

Curly2001
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just went through the same thing and it is the regulator. Also did the hoses just to make sure due to the age of the unit. The cost was small compared to the damage it could do.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
I should have said a high pressure propane regulator IN ADDITION TO the dual auto switch over regulator. It is the small high pressure regulator that is known to leak.

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
good info there BB :C

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
If you have a high pressure propane regulator (not the dual auto switchover regulator) it may well be that regulator that is leaking. A not uncommon problem. But the relief hole is probably on the bottom side and hard to get soapy water on it to check for leaks.
I had the same slight but continuous odor several years ago. After thoroughly checking all connections, hoses, and regulators with soapy water and finding no bubbles, I finally replaced the high pressure regulator valve after reading a number of posts about them failing. After removing the regulator I could see that there was an oily residue around the small hole on the bottom. With the new regulator I have never had propane odor again.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
โ€œThis was one of my draw backs for fifth wheel trailers... My two propane tanks are directly under my front bed overhang haha.โ€

But on most TTs the propane tanks are 12 inches from your sleeping head.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
You have a leak. If the regulator and pigtails are 5+ years old it would be OK to just replace them. I recommend Cavagna brand.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
If the leak is the pressure relief valve there will be a very strong odor of propane. Happened to me.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I got the same dang problem with my Laredo. I have decided for the hey of it I am gonna get some of fancy pink leak detector from Lowes and give that a try.

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have had to replace my regulators and hoses on 2 of my last 3 5th wheels. All were used and at least two years old. All different brands. Must be a recurring problem.