cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suburban SW6DE water heater won't stay lit

Theotilus
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2003 fifth wheel with a Suburban SW6DE water heater. The propane side was working fine until the fifth wheel sat unused for a few months. The electric side works.
It has a direct ignition system. When I try to light the water heater the flame ignites and then it shuts off. It goes through this cycle 3 times and then locks out. What is the most likely problem. I cleaned the electrode. The gas burner is clean with no obstructions.
I have checked the reset buttons - all good.

Thanks for any help or ideas,
Ted
4 REPLIES 4

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I had the same water heater except 2004. It worked fine until I took the wife and two granddaughters on a trip. Same symptoms, no hot water, not good. Fortunately Camping world was close by and I replaced the circuit board and igniter in the campground - easy but expensive. The WH worked perfectly for 3 years after when I sold the trailer. It was probably one or the other but I wasn't going to jeopardize an anticipated trip guessing. I checked the pricing on the internet later - paid way too much. The price of local inventory and convenience - was glad to pay it. Had a wonderful time.

Fisher_Bill
Explorer
Explorer
I think I fixed mine with a new thermo coupler?

Whatever the unit is that confirms the pilot is lit and then continues to deliver the gas, if it's not working then the sensor shuts down the gas with the logic that it's not lit.

There's a test I found online with a volt meter but I just ordered one and got lucky, worked fine after that.

Bill
2006 Chevy 3500 Dually 6.6 Duramax Diesel & Allison Transmission
2010 Northshore 28RK by Dutchmen
Our first fifth wheel!!!

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Flame proving....
When main flame lights off a miliamp signal is generated (flame rectification)

This signal MUST reach the circuit board to 'prove' it lit or circuit board drops the DC to gas valve shutting down firing.

Spark electrode is how signal returns,
IT must be engulfed in main flame
Gap s/b 1/8" - 3/16"
Ceramic can not be cracked--signal tracks to ground (wipe it down with a rag sprayed with silicone)
High tension wire connection must be clean/tight...doesn't take much resistance to stop miliamp signal
No carbon/soot on electrode---clean up with emery cloth
Good grounds...

It's all abut the spark electrode.........miliamp proving signal
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I fought this and fought the same issue.

Turned out the reason the propane wouldn't light is because the electric element was keeping the water hot at home while on shore power. As soon as it would light it would cut off...reason being...it was working as designed.

Do you happen to leave the electric element on at home or where ever you store your trailer?

If so, the water is warm and the thermostat will not let it the propane burner light.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~