Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer storage procedure query

Thumb
Explorer
Explorer
We spend the winter on the Alabama Gulf coast

This year we have decided to try leaving the Montana down on the coast for the summer for 5-6 months in covered storage , on concrete and with 30 amp power hookup

The camper will be in a structure under roof but no walls

Trying to determine if the following is the best way go to prevent mildew and mold issues?

1) since we have vent covers on all vents and are under roof
leave the vents open and put a timer on a small fan to circulate the air
2) set out cat liter and charcoal
3) set out some kind of ant traps for any unwanted visitors
4) leave the battery connected to let converter trickle charge it

Would appreciate input from folks
who have done storage in hot humid areas before

Many thanks for your time
3 REPLIES 3

CarlT100
Explorer
Explorer
I leave mine with the vents slightly open and one ac set to 82F. This keeps the humidity in check.
Carl S
US Army Retired

'11 F-450, 6.7, 4X4, crewcab; '14 Fuzion Impact toyhauler
'12 Triumph Tiger 800XC; '03 Triumph Bonneville T100, 1968 Triumph TR6 Trophy 650cc
SWMBO: '13 HD Sportster; '06 Honda Big Ruckus

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
Just a warning about leaving the vent covers open in the South. We live in the Houston, Texas area and tried that for a few months many years ago with a 5th wheel that was in covered storage with 30 amp service. The 5th wheel was soon infested with very tiny, black, gnat-like flying insects that were small enough to come through the screens of the vents. It required closing up the RV and "bombing" it with 2 insect bombs to get rid of these things.

I don't know for a fact that Alabama has the same critters, but I certainly wouldn't doubt it.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

greende
Explorer
Explorer
While waiting for others to chime in, I'll give some observations. I have covers for my vents and leave them wide open 24/7 365 unless I'm heating or cooling. I think they'd be a good investment. I wouldn't bother with a fan, litter or charcoal if the unit will be under cover. Get a small battery tender type of charger to keep the battery up and forget the converter unless it is a good PD or brand other than OEM. I know there are those that use the converter with no issues, though.
2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

USAF 1968 - 1972 Viet Nam '71 - '72