cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Superglide Capture Plate

JDK53
Explorer
Explorer
I have Superglide that has a capture plate which used 12 bolts to attach the plate to the plate on the pin box. I need to remove the capture plate and the bolts will not unscrew. Some appear stripped and the others won't turn at all. Any thoughts on how to remove the bolts? the camper has been sold and the buyer has a regular fifth wheel hitch.
10 REPLIES 10

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
If your pin box is just the standard, not a Morryde etc, you might find a used one laying around a repair shop that was taken off a trailer that the owner upgraded the pin box. Probably could buy and install it cheap. Just another idea.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
What I did was to mount the plate with all the screw because that is what it said, BUT later I welded 5/16 square steel around the capture plate with a small space for a gap. then removed all the screws in the plate and put only one larger screw in the space where the plate drops down and now only have to remove one screw to drop the plate. On my 5th wheel flat bed I bought one of their wedges cheaper then a plate no plate now and mounted that to the pin plate on the trailer, works great and has two large bolt to remove to be towed by regular hitch.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
The brain trust at the shop that installed my hitch and capture plate welded the plate on to my pinbox. Now THATS going to be a PIA to remove if I even can when the time comes.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
Sure glad I have one of the newer styles that uses a single bolt that simply pins the plate to the king pin. I take it off every time I take my 5'er to the service center. Otherwise the centers forklifts they use to move trailer use a cup to lift the king pin and that causes damage to the capture plate.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

ksbowman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you sure there is not a nut on the back side? Mine is a different adapter plate but I have to reach back inside to hold the roll on them. It's hard to reach but doable.

JDK53
Explorer
Explorer
They are countersinked with tapped holes. I can't get a hacksaw or grinder on them. Drilling looks to be the only option. I am going to sell the hitch and I will recommend they use the clamp plate. Thanks for the comments.

kaydeejay
Explorer
Explorer
JDK53 wrote:
I have Superglide that has a capture plate which used 12 bolts to attach the plate to the plate on the pin box. I need to remove the capture plate and the bolts will not unscrew. Some appear stripped and the others won't turn at all. Any thoughts on how to remove the bolts? the camper has been sold and the buyer has a regular fifth wheel hitch.
They are probably countersunk machine screws with drilled/tapped holes in the pin box head.
You won't get a grinder or hacksaw to them, so drill out the heads and pry the plate off.
With that done you should be able to get a grip with vise grips and unscrew the remains of the screw. Otherwise you will need to cut/grind them flush.
Then you can clean up the pin box and paint it if you like. The holes will still be there.
BTDT! It is a PITA!
If you plan to use the Superglide on another fiver, buy one of the clamp on capture plates to avoid a repeat!
Keith J.
Sold the fiver and looking for a DP, but not in any hurry right now.

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Ed9824v wrote:
drill them and get the plate off and grind surface smooth.

X 2 Drill the heads off, pry the plate loose, grind the surface smooth, hit it with some black paint.
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

Ed9824v
Explorer
Explorer
drill them and get the plate off and grind surface smooth.
Ed So.Calif
1950 Ford F1 street rod
1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, kingcoil
2000 National Sea Breeze 5th wheel trailer
1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins,4.10 gears,turbo,trans,injectors,oil cooler,lockers,edge EZ, 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

n7bsn
Explorer
Explorer
Em... a hand-grinder, an easy-out set, I've even used a hack-saw to cut bolts.
2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.