cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tandem Hauling

flip418
Explorer
Explorer
Any of you out there have tips or tricks for pulling a small 6X10 utility trailer behind a fifth wheel? Im looking at pulling along a small utility trailer with a golf cart and bicycles. I would like to pull a tandem axle utility to help eliminate road walking and keep tracking better behind the fifth wheel. Your experiences?
The Thomas's
2012 Keystone Cougar 328QBS
2004 Ford F-250 PSD
Firestone Air-Rites
21 REPLIES 21

Scott_85
Explorer
Explorer
I wish more states would allow triple towing.
TV: 2013 Ram 2500 Laramie, G56, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel Hitch.
5er: 2013 Coachmen Chaparral 280RLS

Okie_in_Wyoming
Explorer
Explorer
We double tow almost every trip out. However, some states do not allow double towing, please check with the states you are travelling through so you are aware of their restrictions.
Happy Trails, Okie
Smiles across the Miles
Darling Husband
2 Wonderful Dogs
And Me
2007 Dodge 2500 Quad Cab(Diesel)
2010 Cougar 276RLS

Specularius
Explorer
Explorer
I have pulled a 5.5 by 10 trailer I bought from Tractor Supply over 1600 miles one trip with a golf cart on board and pulled my 20 foot bass boat once for a 300 mile trip. The small single axle trailer I could not see without a camera unless it was a very tight turn. The boat tracked 3-4 inches inside the fiver tracks (the fiver tracks were closer to the curb than the boat tracks). So far I have not had any issues. When I am pulling two trailers I plan my trip down to where I will get fuel and verify it with Google earth to see anything that may be a problem.

2015 F-350 DRW 6.7 Scorpion Diesel Reese Ford Hitch
2014 Grand Design Momentum 355TH

C_B_
Explorer
Explorer
Tin Pusher wrote:
Tip: Don't back up ๐Ÿ™‚

I pull a Sedoo behind my FW, nuttin' to it. I added a rear view wireless camera set up so I could see it when going straight.

Good advice. Glad I had mine when trailer tongue broke on my 4X6 trailer.

Lots of threads on these.

Suggest you show your trailer to an auto/truck frame & alignment shop. Let them know what your wanting to pull and if they will fabricate a hitch.

Get a decent hitch built on your trailer. Lots of threads on this.

Lots of people do it, stuff bigger than a Seadoo or golf cart.

C.B.
CBVP2004~FORD~F350~CC~LARIAT~SRW~SB~4X4~6.0D~
AUTO~PULLRITE 16K SUPERGLIDE~DEMCO GLIDERIDE~
PRODIGY CONTROLLER~C-BETR MIRRORS~EMS-HW50C~

Butch/Barb=2013-Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Kris/Katy=2006-Cherokee 32B

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Almost any time I pull my 5er, I am towing tandem. I have a 21', 5000 pound ski boat on a tandem axle trailer, a 16', 2500ish pound fishing boat on single axle, and also a 14' utility trailer that will be loaded with ATVs with a tandem axle. All tow very well.

As was stated, the disadvantage to the tandem axle trailer is it is very difficult to maneuver by hand. I do like tandem though as much for my worries about a tire on the second trailer failing as anything else.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've towed a single axle utility behind several of my FWs. The single axle always tracked well for me. You have to keep proper tongue weight.

It's a good idea to have a tongue jack with a wheel, in the event you need to back up, you can roll the utility out of the way. It will also help to hitch the utility back up to the FW.

Jerry

Tin_Pusher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tip: Don't back up ๐Ÿ™‚

I pull a Sedoo behind my FW, nuttin' to it. I added a rear view wireless camera set up so I could see it when going straight. Lots of threads on these.

Get a decent hitch built on your trailer. Lots of threads on this.

Lots of people do it, stuff bigger than a Seadoo or golf cart.
Tin Pusher's Guide To Successful RV'ing: "Don't get mad, don't get in a hurry"

2002 1500HD
2002 Wilderness 265H
1997 Seadoo GTI
1952 Wife;)