cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tankless water heater

jbranontn
Explorer
Explorer
Just returned from maiden trip in our 2011Wildcat 5th wheel 302RLS. I have a question about my tankless water heater. First, after de-winterizing and sanitizing the fresh water tank, i filled it back up. I then went out and flipped switch on outside inside water heater panel. Is there anything else i needed to do before getting hot water? I ask because when turned on hot water. The water heater started making a loud noise when it kicked on. Is it normal to be so loud? I immediately cut it off because wasn't sure i had done everything correctly.
6 REPLIES 6

kedanie
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Precision Temp unit we have actually uses less propane than the tank units we had in the past. No, it doesn't sound like a jet plane. It isn't any louder than the tank units.

Most all the negative comments about tankless units are from people that have never had one and are basing their "knowledge" on a salesman or pure speculation.

Keith
Keith and Gloria
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
USAF 1968-1976 Vietnam Veteran

dblr
Explorer
Explorer
As someone has said when they are on the heating process yes they are loud, ours inside is hard to hear but outside they side like a blow torch. Inside in the bathroom I look at the panel to see if the heater has turned on. They all seem to take a learning curve on how they operate and each brand is different, we have a Girard 2 model.
2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB
2001 Kenworth T2000
2009 Smart on the deck.

Lexx
Explorer
Explorer
An aside: What kind of tankless is it? Is the Truma AquaGo? We're getting ready to take delivery our trailer and I got a quote from LaMesa RV to have one installed for $1900 incl labor.

My selling dealer claims the tankless units will use up the propane very quickly. I've read otherwise. Our unit only has a 6 gal WH. It's not going to be enough for our family of 5.
2017 Ruby Red Platinum F450 - my kids call her "Big Red"
2018 Grand Design Reflection 28bh

jalichty
Explorer
Explorer
Was it louder than a tank-type water heater? When we turn our tank-type heater on, I tell my wife it's the blowtorch starting work. Very loud when first starting up, not so much when just keeping the water warm.
John A. Lichty

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
A gas tankless WH roars like a jet taking off. Noticed easily when standing outside nearby. On the inside of the RV, it all depends on the RVs quality of construction, amount of insulation, if it's mounted on solid frame structure elements, and placement of the WH that determines how loud it is to the occupants.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Did you actually fill the lines first?
Did you look at the flame? What color was it?