Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Taveling with Canoes and Kayaks with your 5'er

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
The short and sweet question is:

Anyone ever mounted a canoe or kayak anywhere on or inside your FW?

The long question for those who like to know the details:

One of these days we are going to upgrade from our TT to a FW. I have a 15 foot long canoe I like to take with us on our trips to fish out of. One day I plan on adding a second canoe and/or kayak or two to the fleet. I currently have been using a big full length ladder rack on my truck that I mount the canoe on. Problem is obviously if and when we upgrade to a FW I cant use the rack any more. We (Mostly me) would love a Toy Hauler and that would solve all the problems but we (mostly my wife) just are not fond of the floor plans (or price) of most of the TH we have looked at. Anyone ever mounted a canoe or kayak anywhere on or inside your FW? On the roof, would be my first thought.... Got any pictures and details on how you did it? Or would do it?

The canoe gets dirty and wet and would prefer not to find a way to store it inside the FW assuming I could find a way to get it in there.

Thanks,
Robert
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

2014 Ram 2500 Cummins Megacab 4x4 Longhorn (traded in)

2015 CrossRoads Longhorn ReZerve LTZ31SB
27 REPLIES 27

SabreCanuck
Explorer
Explorer
One of the advantages of mounting on truck instead of on/in trailer is that you use the same mount AFTER getting to destination and wanting to head out to the water. We had kayaks inside trailer but it was a bit of a pain because we had to unload them when we got to site then load them on truck to get to river then bsck on truck to site back into trailer for ride home. .

That is the main reason I will be looking at T bar on front to carry two kayaks and only have to load unload at home then water.
2011 GMC 2500 D-Max Denali
2015 Palomino Columbus 325RL
Our kids have 4 legs. 🙂

WE_CAMP2
Explorer
Explorer
Fxfymn wrote:
Obviously the boat's length make a difference in the type of carrier you can use.

We plan to upgrade kayaks to likely something in the 14' range someday, I really like your setup and will be doing something very similar. Thanks for posting the pics!
2017 F250 CC SB PSD & 2008 Cameo 5'er

Fxfymn
Explorer
Explorer
Obviously the boat's length make a difference in the type of carrier you can use. We use touring boats, one is 14' and the other 16', so a roof only system would not work for us. We also have an 8' truck bed, so the fiver will not hit the boats if they protrude out the back of the truck cab.

We have used the rig in the picture from the previous post for several years now and I would estimate we have put well over 20,000 miles on it with out any problems.

One thing I discovered after I started carrying the boats is that a substantial part of the strength comes from the boats themselves. In essence the boats tie the two racks together and act as truss member to keep the system from moving around.

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Also I appreciate the recommendations of other kayaks that have been suggested but I am not really looking to have my mind change on the kayak I want or the canoe I already have. I am very interested in learning how I can transport my current canoe (or the kayak of my dreams) while towing a fifth wheel.
2016 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC Longhorn LB DRW 4.10's Aisin Trans Auto Lvl Suspension Dual 220 Alternators

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Good stuff, thanks for elaborating.

So you were able to keep the use of the tow hooks with that front mount hitch?

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
FireRob wrote:
2014MegaRam4x4, You have any more info on what your using there? What is the goal post mount and especially how its connected to the truck? Has this been stable for you or had any issues?

Also what's on the roof?

Thanks.

Yep those pics of the kayaks on the roof of the RV is what I had in mind and to me would be ideal if I could make it work.

Hey there, no issues at all, I had to make a loader to assist with loading the Kayaks due to the total height. The wife was not able to lift the kayaks height enough and it became a huge issue trying to load them by myself. (not me but you get the idea) Used a telescopic post and 2x3 for the support beam.

The Mount is the same as truck receiver hitch that's mounted behind the tow hooks. I needed to retain the tow hooks.

I purchased a set of roof rail racks to hold it and provide a point to strap it down and remove any worries of dropping the kayaks on the paint.

The center T post I made out of some 2x2 metal and welded it together to a standard receiver hitch insert

I have put on around 3000 miles with this and have not had any issues at all besides a strap coming loose once in a while and will continue to use this for as long as we have the kayaks which will be a long time (we just bought 2 2017 Hobie outbacks that we pick up next week.

here is another photo let me know if you have any questions.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

Crodad
Explorer
Explorer
we use the Sea Eagle SE370 . It stows away in a bag that I put in the basement of the 5ver. There are different models that you can chose from also.
2015 F-250 PSD 4x4 XLT
2016 Silverback 31RK

https://visitedstatesmap.com/image/ALAZARCOFLIDLAMSMTNVNMTNTXUTWYsm.jpg

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
2014MegaRam4x4, You have any more info on what your using there? What is the goal post mount and especially how its connected to the truck? Has this been stable for you or had any issues?

Also what's on the roof?

Thanks.

Yep those pics of the kayaks on the roof of the RV is what I had in mind and to me would be ideal if I could make it work.

sayoung
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Advanced Elements makes one and two person inflatable QUALITY kayaks.

We use the Hobi 14ft 2person with the Mirage Drive. Folds up into a suitcase & its tough.

2014MegaRam4x4
Explorer
Explorer
This is how I transport mine,

But looked at this route once, but the curvature of the roof prevented me from using this option which in my opinion is the best way to transport the kayaks. The plan was to mount a swing out arm with a manual crank or even an electric winch. hook up the kayak lift it to clear the roof, swing it off the side and lower it to the ground.

Moderator edit to re-size pictures to forum recommended limit of 640px maximum width.

dedmiston
FireRob wrote:
I am slowly working my wife towards the toyhauler route.

Nice. Another possible recruit.

It's a slippery slope though. First comes the Toy Hauler. Then come the outdoor speakers. Before you know it, gas powered toys and your in-laws pretend they don't know you.

We'll leave a light on.

- Moderator, Toy Hauler Forum.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Fxfymn
Explorer
Explorer
I put a front mount hitch on the truck to which I welded an additional two receivers. I tried one single upright, but it swayed too much for my liking. The picture is my old truck which used a gutter mount Thule roof rack. My present truck uses a roof mount Thule rack, but the effect is the same.

DHCamper
Explorer
Explorer
We have used one of these: Kaboat for the past 3 years. It has proven very sea worthy, and does 14mph with a 6hp outboard loaded with my wife, dog (on the bow) and myself. Inflates to recommended pressures in about 10 minutes with an automatic inflation pump. The floor is an engineered air floor which is very stiff at 10psi. We go fishing and cruising with the boat during most of our camping trips. This boat does very well with a motor, just don't expect it to be comfortable rowing.

FireRob
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Some good info.

Cummins, I have my eyes set on a very specific kayak for one of these days and an air pump will not do it any good 😉

I am slowly working my wife towards the toyhauler route. This will solve all my concerns and leave me with tons of room for fishing gear. Then again I could go with a float tube and fins....