cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thank You

Prairieboy315
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, I just joined your forum today but have been following it for months. Six months ago my wife and decided that we want to spend some of our winter months touring southern USA when I retire in a year or two. I knew nothing about Rving, fifth wheels, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, pin weight, tow vehicles, etc. I couldn't distinguish between a good quality and poor quality 5er. But over the last six months, I've read thousands of articles on trucks, campgrounds, fifth wheels manufacturers, tire manufacturers, driving tips, etc. I've learned a TON of information from people like yourselves who have already experienced all this. Nothing like learning from someone else's experiences.
I have learned that I need to upgrade my 1/2 ton, to a one-ton diesel (for the trailer we want). I learned that not all fifth wheels are created equally. (We are currently leaning towards brands like Artic Fox, Excel, Hitchhiker and Komfort). While I still have lots to learn, such as what type of frames and trailer axles are best suited for a 14,000 pound trailer, I am slowly learning enough to become an informed consumer. I just wanted to thank everyone here for all their posts and the assistance they give to newbies such as myself.

Tom Fulcher - Saskatchewan, Canada
10 REPLIES 10

HD_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
May the Force Be With You
2000 Volvo 420, 370 ISM Cummins,
10 Speed, Single Axle
2001 5th Wheel HR Presidential SKT 36.5

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the group and thank you for doing it right. You just saved us a bunch of "How do I fix this" threads! Not that we mind doing it but it is painful to hear how bad some folks messed up and how much $$ they spend fixing it.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

empty_nest
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome! It's great to have you here.

We went about it in a similar fashion and hoped to learn all we could before snowbirding in another 3 yrs. Since buying our 5'r, a couple years ago, our trips get a little longer in duration and distance, as we learn and are more comfortable with everything.

Have fun and Happy Camping!
2008 38' Winnebago Adventurer
2012 Jeep Wrangler (Toad)
03 Ranger 520 DVX - 225 hp. Evinrude

thecampingman
Explorer
Explorer
Prairieboy315 wrote:
Hi, I just joined your forum today but have been following it for months. Six months ago my wife and decided that we want to spend some of our winter months touring southern USA when I retire in a year or two. I knew nothing about Rving, fifth wheels, GVWR, GCWR, GAWR, pin weight, tow vehicles, etc. I couldn't distinguish between a good quality and poor quality 5er. But over the last six months, I've read thousands of articles on trucks, campgrounds, fifth wheels manufacturers, tire manufacturers, driving tips, etc. I've learned a TON of information from people like yourselves who have already experienced all this. Nothing like learning from someone else's experiences.
I have learned that I need to upgrade my 1/2 ton, to a one-ton diesel (for the trailer we want). I learned that not all fifth wheels are created equally. (We are currently leaning towards brands like Artic Fox, Excel, Hitchhiker and Komfort). While I still have lots to learn, such as what type of frames and trailer axles are best suited for a 14,000 pound trailer, I am slowly learning enough to become an informed consumer. I just wanted to thank everyone here for all their posts and the assistance they give to newbies such as myself.

Tom Fulcher - Saskatchewan, Canada

Gosh! I wish We'd done it that way! We just bought an old camper and headed for Texas. When we got there we had no clue about how to deploy our awning. We had to get help from fellow campers.
That's one of the nicer things about camping. Folks are eager to help.
'03 GMC 4500 Topkick with Duramax/Allison
'04 36' McKenzie Medallion triple slide
Cabover kayak racks w/18' touring kayaks.
Bicycle carrier on the front with a street bike & a mountain bike
Snowbird W/Ohio camper dock

RV_CONUS
Explorer
Explorer
When All is said and done, your greatest satisfaction, enjoyment and knowledge will come from your resesrch.

Then you can enjoy the experience and have fun.

Good luck with your efforts, won't be long before you are smellig the roses.
2006 Allegro Open Roads 34WA
2015 GMC Terrain
2009 Blue OX Aventa LX
2009 Brake Buddy Classic

sk734
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you are doing your homework-good luck and safe travels!

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
djgarcia wrote:
Welcome Tom,
You sound like a real resourceful person will do your home work before you buy into the RV world. Suggestion, if you have some local RV Parks near you, I would encourage you to take some time and just walk around and talk to RVers and ask them about the RV rig they have. Pros and Cons:) Nothing like talking to real owners of RV's.

^^^^^
This is excellent advice!

...and welcome!
New here myself.

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome Tom,
You sound like a real resourceful person will do your home work before you buy into the RV world. Suggestion, if you have some local RV Parks near you, I would encourage you to take some time and just walk around and talk to RVers and ask them about the RV rig they have. Pros and Cons:) Nothing like talking to real owners of RV's.

Prairieboy315
Explorer
Explorer
brirene wrote:
Welcome to the forum, and glad you're becoming more informed. Lots of knowledgeable folks here, now including you! Now pay it forward and share all you've learned with others!

LOL ... Once I learn something that I think may be of interest or be educational I will definitely pass it on. I am still learning. Nothing worse than a guy who has never pulled a 5er giving advice to those who have. Once I start doing that, I may as well stay home and become a politician.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum, and glad you're becoming more informed. Lots of knowledgeable folks here, now including you! Now pay it forward and share all you've learned with others!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard