cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Tax Man

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
I traded my fifth wheel for a MH but still have my F250 TD and various work trailers. I want to give a heads up to any PA members on this forum and to anyone traveling through PA. In our governments quest to increase their coffers they have embarked on enforcement of the GCWR registration of truck trailer combinations. If the trailer you tow is more than 10000 lbs you have to register your truck for the total GCWR of your combo or the mfg stated GCWR for your truck. My truck has a 23500 manufacturer stated GCWR so this is what I have to register my truck for to be legal when towing. It currently costs $405 per year. My registration also gives a GVWR for the truck only of 10000 lbs for LEO when not towing. Fines are really high and all the new troopers coming out of the academy are well versed on this.
It was also stated that DOT will be checking those large fifth wheels that travel through the state, requiring stops at the weigh stations.
Anything to fill the state coffers. Welcome to the land of taxes.
2017 Heartland Bighorn 3160Elite/2017 F250 Lariat Ultimate
2018 Coachmen Galleria 24Q Class B Mercedes Van
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA
33 REPLIES 33

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
Since some states don't require a GCWR license what are they going to do with those trucks/trailers

Check them at the weigh stations!
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

kab449
Explorer
Explorer
My buddy was stopped by state police towing his fifth wheel. They told him it pertains to towing all trailers over 10000 lbs. They don't have to be strictly commercial.
Keith & Brenda
Marley the Maltese
Central PA

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
Since some states don't require a GCWR license what are they going to do with those trucks/trailers?

Missouri has required a GCWR license for trucks for many years, decades even. But it is $100 compared to your $400, so not as bad.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

K_Charles
Explorer
Explorer
You said you have work trailers so the truck in regestered commercial? You don't need commercial tags to pull a TT or FW. Is this for commercial or every truck?