cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires For Tow Vehicle?

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2005 2500 Duramax and considering new tires and need recommendations. I only use for towing fifth wheel. I want to go from Hankook to Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac. I have the Duratracs on my work truck 2011 1500 Silverado and have approx. 15K and very little wear. I like the off road deep tread, although the first 3-5k drives spongie with 55psi load E. I notice alot of Torque on the rear tires/axles and my Hankooks wear to fast. Like to hear from other Duramax/fifth wheel towers/owners input? Thank you for your time. Chris
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL
43 REPLIES 43

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Curly2001 wrote:
I have never ever had Michelins hit the miles they were supposed to. Always run short of the miles and Discount has always refunded/credited the miles. Going with Transforce next time. Not about money just tired of worn out tires.
Curly

If the Transforce wear anything like what my OEM Firestone Transforce HT's did I would stay clear of them. 28K they were worn out, not a good tire IMO.

Plenty of tires out there that have proven themselves much better then what the Firestones I had did, and many that have reported the same results.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
NEVER had a single Michelin with side wall cracking. It would be honest to say I have accumulated a half million miles with them.

What a lucky guy, I have seen many Michelin tires with side wall cracking , as well as the one set out of two I have had. Many reports of side wall cracking on Michelins, its a real thing, not someone just taking a shot at Michelins .

Lots of tires out there to be had without issues or the money you spend on Michelins. One that comes to mind is the Sailun truck tires, which like the S637 will most likely out perform Goodyear or Michelin at half the cost.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I never wear a tire out just like fresh rubber.
chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Curly2001
Explorer
Explorer
I have never ever had Michelins hit the miles they were supposed to. Always run short of the miles and Discount has always refunded/credited the miles. Going with Transforce next time. Not about money just tired of worn out tires.
Curly
2019 Chev. Double cab 2500HD, 6.0, 4:10 diffs, six speed auto
2013 Heartland Sundance XLT 265RK

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
NEVER had a single Michelin with side wall cracking. It would be honest to say I have accumulated a half million miles with them.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Second Chance wrote:
Michelin Defender.

AGREED! The new design is great for ride, wet traction and mileage. I think most Michelin haters just don't like spending the $$$.

It is not the price alone, but the cracking sidewalls included in that premium price that I can't live with any more. Other brands have not done that, cost less and still get comparable mileage.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Artum Snowbird wrote:
I would check out the Bridgestone Duravis M700's Certainly a very strong contender.

I have used these on a Chevy and was very impressed. I dont think they make a size that fits my Ford yet.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Michelin tires have a history of cracking and I have seen this many times even on defenders as we have but never for us. I was amazed the 2 December trips from Az to Washington and the traction we had. Same for the GMC Acadia for snow driving. 4 new defenders will be on our rear for the trip South. I still feel they will be our best tire for our needs.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
DutchmenSport wrote:
My 3500 dully came factory stock with Michelin's. Took the truck in for it's scheduled oil change and had my dealer take a good look at my tires. They agreed that it was time to change them. Got the same Michelin's on them (6 tires at the tune of $250 a tire) They said these are the best. And fyi, I got over 47,000 miles on these tires, 75 percent of that was towing the trailer. They still had tread, but was getting at that iffy-iffy point, so decided to take the plunge.

Michelins. Good tires.

Last year I paid $1,300+ out the door for 6 Defenders for my 15 DRW RAM at Discount tire.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Second Chance wrote:
Michelin Defender.

AGREED! The new design is great for ride, wet traction and mileage. I think most Michelin haters just don't like spending the $$$.

doughboy
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone Transforce for me too
2 years and running strong!!
quiet on the road.
Larry, Lisa, and a dog named "Pepperjack"
2000 Excursion,Toreador red,diesel
2013 cruiser, viewfinder,
Waitin for my ship to come in

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I m the minority here but am running Firestone Transforce on the back of my F250 with 10K fifth wheel and am pleased after 3 seasons thus far.

Johnnybgood
Explorer
Explorer
I researched tires for my 2011 F350 Dually. I liked the reviews on the Cooper AT3. The truck had the Ht3 Coopers on it but I wanted something that would give better traction in mud, snow, ice and the reviews on these tires were very good. No Tire is perfect. Michelle s have good reviews and bad reviews as does any tire. The price for the Cooper with the reviews is what worked for me.

nevadan660
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone for the input. Chris
2005 CHEV-DURAMAX-HD2500-CREWCAB-4X4
2015 ARTIC FOX 295T FIFTH WHEEL

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
twinstick wrote:
I've got a Duramax with Michelin ltx tires. They were new when I bought the truck used, but they are great. I've had Toyo and Goodyear wranglers. The Toyo we're good, I hated the Goodyear, but none of them are even close to the Michelins.

I think what we have here is comparing the Michelins with the all season or highway tread to the All Terrain tires, sure there is going to be a difference in mileage ,and performance.

Compare the Michelin AT2's to the Coopers or Toyo All Terrain, I'll take either to the Michelin any day.

To the OP, IMO the best tradeoff is either the Toyo AT2 or the Cooper AT3, if you want the best for towing or mileage then you will probably need to go All season or highway tread . You can't have both. I prefer the tradeoff with the Toyo or Cooper.