cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Toyhauler hitch/truck setup

RoyBell
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Grand Design 320G and would like some input on the current setup.

I have a Ram 2500 with aftermarket airbags. It's a Megacab with 6 1/2' bed. The hitch is a gooseball/ reese goosebox.

Our first trip was over 2000 miles and the camper felt very stable and I had no issues towing. We did have the 1000 lb Harley in the garage and approx 800 lb water ballast. The truck was just the Wife and myself.

The trip this weekend was more local and we did not have much weight in the garage. I did fill the camper fuel cell this time (approx 250 lbs), whereas it was empty on the first trip. A couple bicycles and our usual grill/spare tire. I filled the water tanks full (approx 950 lbs). The truck had wife, myself, and 2 young adults (300 lbs extra if even) The camper pulled ok, but not nearly as stable as the first trip.

Now for the questions

-Was this the cause of not having the extra weight in the garage? I was hoping to get a golf cart for this trip but ran out of time. I know TH generally run better weight in the garage

-I have been debating getting an 8' bed truck, but holding for hopefully a redesigned HD Cab from Ram (2021/2022 rumors). The Ram with 8' bed is approx 9" longer than the Megacab I have. 160.5 vs 169". Would 8.5" in wheel base make any significant difference in stability? I have no interest in a Dually since I live in suburbs and have to park in Chicago sometimes.

-Should I lower the front of my camper? Right now I have a hair over 7" clearance to the bedrails. The bolts on the pin box are 2" increments. It's sitting a little low in the rear currently. (I would guess approx 2") If I lower a bolt hole it lowers my clearance to 5". Or I could get an extended ball and get to 6" clearance. I believe everyone says 6-7" is ideal. I also have new tires on the rear for this trip which are approx 1/2" taller than the Fall trip last year, raising the front a little more. If I put too much air in my air bags it makes the problem worse by raising the front of the camper more.

It's hard to tell from a picture, but this is the best side view I have from when we picked it up:

Appreciate any insight on this.
15 REPLIES 15

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
On your next trip stop at a CAT scale and weigh the truck and trailer, then disconect the trailer and weigh the truck. You might be surprized how much you are unloading the front axle.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.