cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPMS or change tire

Smoke90
Explorer
Explorer
As you know I have a cyclone3712 CK and trailer is 14000 to 15000 lbs on the 3 axles when loaded( stop many time on the weight scales to check it)
I discover a bubble on the tires. Removed the wheel and took it to the local tire dealer.
The tire was 2 years old and 4500 miles. Most of the thread was gone.
I always check tire pressure. I normaly put 80psi
The guy at the shop told me they were not very good tire. Was the power king ST 285 80 16 with 3520 lb of max Load.
He sold me triangle and told me that they are much better tire????
After searching I am not sold to this.
Should I change the other tire that are not worn as this one.
Should I get a TPMS monitoring sytem. I hear good and bad about it. With wrong alarm or no alarm at all while having a blow out.
Thanks for the help
7 REPLIES 7

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you have a tire that has serious tread loss after so few miles, I would check the other tire on the same axle, and take a close look at the other tires. That doesn't sound good even with the lousy ST tires. I had 2 blow out after less than 2 years and 8,000 miles, but they looked brand new as far as the tread was concerned. If you have an alignment problem putting new tires on is just wasting money.

Depending on your axle rating I would go with either an "E" rated or "G" rated LT tire. A TPMS is an excellent addition to your traveling equipment.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

lincster
Explorer
Explorer
I wouldn't worry about alignment.

Ditch the ST tires and go to LT tires.

Problems will go away.
2022 F350 PSD CC 4X4 Dually to pull 2006 LE3905

Lincsters Truck/Trailer

Lincsters Rail

arhayes
Explorer
Explorer
First, TPMS definitely! I've had no false alarms. The bubble part happens, but why the excessive tread wear. I pared to the others? There must be an alignment problem of some type. I'd get that checked ASAP. I've not heard of either brand firehouse. Ention so cannot comment on that.
Alan and Kathleen
2015 Grand Design Momentum 380TH (RVD2)
2014 F350 6.7L Diesel DRW (Stormtrooper)
2012 Honda Goldwing NAVI/ABS (Land Speeder)

Grandpere
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Do both get a TPMS and a good set of LT tires that are rated to carry the weight of your rig.

I agree, do both. Get the highest ply rating in an LT tire and keep them pumped to the max. Little rougher ride, but will save a blowout from an over loaded tire.
Berniece & Russell Johnson
Lil'Bit, a Netherland Dwarf Rabbit
1987 Southwind
1995 Ford F150 Supercab

Life in the fast lane? No thanks, we will stop and smell the flowers at every opportuity

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Do both get a TPMS and a good set of LT tires that are rated to carry the weight of your rig.
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I would get an alignment check on all three axles and put on 6 new Good tires.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

GMandJM
Explorer
Explorer
No advice on the tires, but I DO suggest you get a decent TPMS. I have never heard of a PROPERLY SET TPMS giving false alarms. Mostly, I would suspect user error on something like that.
G-half can always find a way to do things upside-down, inside-out or backward.
It's his Super Power!