cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trade in question

sjkelly328
Explorer
Explorer
We are purchasing a new fifth wheel next month and trading in our current one. They have already given us an amount on our trade, sight unseen.
Our refrigerator just went out this week. It’s going to cost over $2000 to fix it. My question is do we go ahead and fix it or take a chance and just trade it in as is and not say anything hoping they don’t catch it and take money off our trade?
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks.
36 REPLIES 36

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
I think some folks forget that some of these frigs are to large to just pull out thought a door, our if need to be replaced they would have to pull the slide to get it out ... So if you can get it repaired your better off than replacing it, but again like others I would tell them it was not working an take the hit if it wasn't to much, as stated they can swap it out cheaper than you if needed ...

dpgllg
Explorer
Explorer
On my previous 5th wheel the refrigerator quit working. I pulled the frig and replaced the cooling unit with a Amish rebuilt unit. Purchased it here with fast shipping and great service when I called for clarification on instructions.

RV Cooling Warehouse

My unit was less than $600. I had to pay up front an additional $100 that was refunded as soon as they got my old unit back.

I was able to do this repair myself and I am disabled from several strokes. I did get help when pulling the refrigerator placing the new cooling unit and putting frig back in. I won't assume anything but if you are reasonably healthy and have a second set of hands for help and can read instructions this is something you could do in a weekend at most if not quicker.

If you are being quoted $2000 for repairs I would look elsewhere. They are replacing the entire frig not just the cooling unit. Your frig's other parts are probably fine and you don't have to replace the entire thing just the cooling unit.

As a side note we traded that 5th wheel sight unseen last year on a brand new unit. When we returned a week later to complete the deal they didn't really look at it and definetly did not test anything on it. But I did show them photos of it pointing out issues as well as the fact it had a brand new refrigerator.

Good luck and enjoy your new 5th wheel!

Dave
2013 2500HD Chevy LTZ 6.6 Diesel Ext Cab Long Bed
2017 Grand Design Reflection 27RL 5th Wheel
Dear Wife, plus two Cocker Spaniels and a Standard Poodle

minnow
Explorer
Explorer
$2000 to fix it or $2000 to replace it? Both quotes are too high.

humblerb
Explorer
Explorer
As has already been stated, do NOT fix it yourself.
When you get to the dealer, tell them that it stopped working.
You know that you can get it replaced for $2000.
The dealer can get it for less than half that.
They will try to push the number down, and you should expect it to go down.
But armed with the actual cost to a consumer and the knowledge that the dealer can get it for much less, I wouldn't let them push down much more than about $700-$800. They shouldn't let you walk away from a new rig sale for a couple hundred dollars.
If they anything changes from the original deal, on either side, then the other side has the option to back out.

I would check to see if it can be repaired first.
If you can repair for a couple hundred, then you have saved $600 to $1800.

dryfly
Explorer
Explorer
Dealers give "sight unseen" trade in quotes for a reason. Either they are going to make a ton of money on the new unit and don't care, or they are may lower the quote after they see the trade in unit. Honesty is the best policy, but I would wait and disclose it to them and let them decide how it will affect the deal. Of course I'm assuming this is not a special order trailer.

Tundra2084
Explorer
Explorer
We traded in a fiver sight unseen by dealer towards a new fiver, except that hubby accidentally put the tip of a screw through the side when he put the side table he removed back in. We did NOT see it and when it was brought to our attention asked about cost to have it fixed. The gladly deducted $500 from trade in. Great...except a week after we got our new fiver it needed warranty work. Back to dealership we go, told a week for repairs, one being the bedroom door frame came away from the wall and we didn't want to put a hole in side so they assured us not a big deal and would be repaired.
Waited 2 weeks, still not ready, 4 weeks in I told husband we need to go see whats taking so long, surprise visit, no more nice phone calls, later afternoon on a Saturday we went. Service technician was there and I asked where our unit was because we needed to get something out of it. While walking to the back lot I asked him where our traded in unit was and was told it Sold. ASKED about the repair and he smiled and said, we put a new decal over the hole, not fixed just covered.
We couldn't believe what he said UNTIL the next sentence came out of his mouth. So when we get your unit back from the body shop,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,wait what do you mean body shop?....Stopped dead in tracks and asked again. WHAT BODY SHOP AND WHY?...
Seems that the week we brought it to them, head technician put a full screw through the sidewall trying to fix the door casing and he thought we knew. Nope didn't know but the office did when I was done with them the following day.
Yup, they forgot to call to tell us and was waiting for the repair shop to get back to them for a date for repair. That screw was HUGE and stuck out about an inch.
So after being lied to, made to feel like scum for not knowing that we didn't know about the tip of screw that they deducted $500 for a decal to cover it up with , well let's just say they knew me really well and got our unit fixed very quickly because I was on their backs every single day.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
garyp4951 wrote:
I would think they could fix it cheaper, so just tell them about it.

this is the correct solution.
bumpy

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 never use those tech,s they admit there not honest.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wow, those are a couple of service techs I would keep my eye on if you ever have to have them do any work for you. If they would recommend that you try something unethical it says something about their work ethics. You might be the one they try to pull something on next.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

sjkelly328
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply’s. We know the right thing to do is fix it or let them know. We have had two different service techs tell us to give it to the dealer and hope they don’t say anything. So we wanted to see what others opionions were.
We plan to call and let them know about the refrigerator to see what they say.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Another vote for HONESTY!!!!

Then again, very good chance it can be repaired for a lot less than $2k. If you repair it, no need to comment on the issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

topjimmy
Explorer
Explorer
Super_Dave wrote:
I was given a trade number via a trade quote form. When we went to make the deal, the number changed. Don’t be surprised if the number is substantially different on deal day regardless of the frig issue.
Fix the fridge it is just the right thing to do but Dave is right trading in a a RV is the WORST thing you could do FYI I just tried Trade in my 70 Thousand 2015 Montana LEGACY edition and they would only would give me 30K on a trade in on the most popular 5TH wheel out there so I just kept it DO NOT EVER BUY A NEW 5TH wheel PERIOD!!!!
2015 Montana 3735MK Legacy,2007 3500HD GMC Dually LBZ Duramax/Allison ,Pacbrake,Firestone Airbags Bullydog Tuner

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
I was given a trade number via a trade quote form. When we went to make the deal, the number changed. Don’t be surprised if the number is substantially different on deal day regardless of the frig issue.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
Prior 2 answers--X2!!

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
call a mobil tech might be fixable, you expect fare treatment from them ,so treat them the way you,d want to be treated.