cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trailer alignment

ttbulet
Explorer
Explorer
One of our 19' travel trailer tires is wearing unevenly and the RV repair place says we need an alignment of both axles. THis will cost about $$400-$500 so I'd like to know just how often we should have this done on a trailer. We had new beefed up axles put on the trailer about 4,000 miles ago and do not overload the trailer. We drive at 55-60mph and keep an eye on the tire pressure and lug nuts.
Thank you

Double posted in Travel Trailers
4 REPLIES 4

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Way too much money. I had mine aligned for IIRC $195.00 total for both axles. If you had new heavier axles installed then maybe who ever did the install messed up. I would dig a little deeper into other causes 1st. And find a different place to get them aligned if that is in fact the problem.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Can you describe the uneaven wear?
A pic would be best.

I have seen tires with uneven wear and it was a slipped belt. Consider removing the tire for inspection. Not always easy when on the trailer.

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
ttbulet wrote:
One of our 19' travel trailer tires is wearing unevenly and the RV repair place says we need an alignment of both axles. THis will cost about $$400-$500 so I'd like to know just how often we should have this done on a trailer. We had new beefed up axles put on the trailer about 4,000 miles ago and do not overload the trailer. We drive at 55-60mph and keep an eye on the tire pressure and lug nuts.
Thank you

Did you notice the wear shortly after the new axles were installed? Did you bring it to the attention of whomever installed the axles? If you didn't let the installer know, then you're pretty much on the hook, IMO, especially if this was done more than 1-2 years ago. Take it to a heavy-duty trailer shop and have them do the alignment.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My 5th wheel is 19 years old and maxed out weight wise (15,000lbs). We travel an average of 4800 miles per year. I have never needed to have an alignment. All 4 tires wear evenly.

There was an issue after we had our axles flipped when the trailer was new. The factory service department failed to add two cross braces. On our first trip after the swap, one of the axles shifted out of alignment 1". I noticed one of the tires stuck out further than the other. We took it back and they added the cross bracing, no problems since.