cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Valve Stem Issue.....

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
So I'm upgrading to G rated tires and I ordered metal valve stems rated at 110psi. The problem is the rubber on the back of the stem wont go thru the valve hole on the wheel...

I also have rubber valves with metal sleeve rated at 80psi that fits... The E rated tires that came on my 5er were rated at 80psi so I'm thinking my G rated tires at 80psi will be much better than the E rated at 80psi. I'm not really wanting to go even 100psi on these stems rated at 80psi. What do you think....

I do have some other metal stems on the way today but they will probably be the same rubber. They make a 100psi rubber stem but once again the base is too wide. I did check my wheels and they are rated at 110psi.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually
19 REPLIES 19

laknox
Nomad
Nomad
First question; are your =rims= rated for 110 psi? If you're only upgrading tires, your rims may not handle the G's, hence the difference in stem hole size. Rims should be stamped on the back side of the bead or in the "valley" inside, which means you'd have to break a tire down to check.

Lyle
2022 GMC Sierra 3500 HD Denali Crew Cab 4x4 Duramax
B&W OEM Companion & Gooseneck Kit
2017 KZ Durango 1500 D277RLT
1936 John Deere Model A
International Flying Farmers 64 Year Member

Allworth
Explorer II
Explorer II
You might check the online store at 4-Wheel Parts
Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
Previously: 2008 Titanium 30E35SA. Currently no trailer due to age & mobility problems. Very sad!
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
A few years ago when I replaced my rubber vale stems with metal vales (Milton) they came with two sizes of grommets as they called them one for a 5/8" hole (large) and a smaller one for a .453" aprox. a 7/16" hole. This Might help you get the ones you need.

RustyJC
Explorer
Explorer
IIRC, there are two sizes (throat diameters) of metal valve stems. Sounds like the one you have is too big. Without doing an internet search, my recollection is that the smaller size is just under 1/2" diameter (something like 0.455" or so) - what diameter are the ones you have?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972

2016 Ram 3500 Dually Longhorn Crew Cab Long Bed, 4x4, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10, 39K+ GCWR, 30K+ trailer tow rating, 14K GVWR

B&W RVK3600

abc40kids wrote:
So I'm upgrading to G rated tires and I ordered metal valve stems rated at 110psi. The problem is the rubber on the back of the stem wont go thru the valve hole on the wheel...

I also have rubber valves with metal sleeve rated at 80psi that fits... The E rated tires that came on my 5er were rated at 80psi so I'm thinking my G rated tires at 80psi will be much better than the E rated at 80psi. I'm not really wanting to go even 100psi on these stems rated at 80psi. What do you think....

I do have some other metal stems on the way today but they will probably be the same rubber. They make a 100psi rubber stem but once again the base is too wide. I did check my wheels and they are rated at 110psi.

I do not see a problem with airing them to 80 max... but that would lower their carrying capacity.. I would try to get the proper metal stem before lowering the pressure.
Per the Goodyear site.. at 80 psi the max load is only 3042# versus the 3750 @ 110psi
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet